PDA

View Full Version : Are Fruits a Problematic Carb Source?

Rtyeta
10-11-2017, 04:15 PM
So since I’ve read that fructose is not a very helpful type of carb, I’ve been wondering whether fruits are a good source of carbohydrates or not.

Heisman2
10-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Fruits are great. Fructose is not an issue in the context of an overall healthy diet in an individual who exercises.

AdamWW
10-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Fruits are great. Fructose is not an issue in the context of an overall healthy diet in an individual who exercises.

Also, fructose is not the only kind of sugar/carb in fruits.

rhadam
10-11-2017, 05:04 PM
What the hell is an unhelpful carb?

AdamWW
10-11-2017, 05:06 PM

Jagermeister.

Can't stand that stuff.

#collegeregrets

BuildUpNow
10-12-2017, 09:13 AM
So since I’ve read that fructose is not a very helpful type of carb, I’ve been wondering whether fruits are a good source of carbohydrates or not.

I think you're confusing it with sucrose.

Monosaccharides are typically rapidly absorbed. This can prevent feeding certain gut bacteria that produce endotoxins. Additionally it seems have less impact on blood glucose levels and insulin resistance.

Tommy W.
10-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Eat yer damn fruit

WolfRose7
10-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Jagermeister.

Can't stand that stuff.

#collegeregrets

I kinda like Jager straight...
Only if it's out of a freezer though.

I second Tommy OP.
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/eat-your-fruit-and-veggies-andi-bird.jpg

shesprints
10-12-2017, 09:32 AM
I mean if they're the only carb-dense foods you eat then yeah. It's better to get plenty of starch than just fruit (for better digestion and the better to refill muscle glycogen). But eat fruit too.

ETA: fruit is NOT pure fructose. It may have some in it, but it varies based on the type of fruit and even the degree of ripeness.

JeffCompass
10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
I love me some fruit before a workout, makes me run faster as well :)

SuffolkPunch
10-12-2017, 10:06 AM
You probably heard something about how it can overflow your liver and cause fatty deposits to form. This is incredibly unlikely with fruit because they are low calorie dense. You would have to force feed yourself with it and would be having major problems with the sh!ts long before you get fat.

Mrpb
10-12-2017, 12:12 PM
I’ve read that fructose is not a very helpful type of carb.

That's false. Stop reading Mercola.

ironwill2008
10-12-2017, 01:01 PM

http://i.imgur.com/5dQtzgW.jpg

DustyRuger
10-12-2017, 02:08 PM
I eat 750 grams of strawberries, 500 grams of pineapple, a banana and two oranges a day without a issue.

AdamWW
10-12-2017, 03:30 PM
I eat 750 grams of strawberries, 500 grams of pineapple, a banana and two oranges a day without a issue.

Damn, that's a lot of money for fruit right there.

Personally I eat about 1-2 cups of mixed berries, 1/2 a banana, a kiwi, and some melon every day. Right now I've got a crazy canteloupe obsession... I could probably eat 1-2 whole ones a day.

ErikTheElectric
10-12-2017, 07:22 PM

Disregard wherever you're getting your "knowledge" from.

allrnder
10-12-2017, 10:50 PM

The ones that don;t make your bed in the morning or wash your floor. I hate those guys.

allrnder
10-12-2017, 10:52 PM
I can;t even think of a food you buy which is all fructose. agave nectar is the highest i have found

DustyRuger
10-13-2017, 01:46 AM
Damn, that's a lot of money for fruit right there.

Personally I eat about 1-2 cups of mixed berries, 1/2 a banana, a kiwi, and some melon every day. Right now I've got a crazy canteloupe obsession... I could probably eat 1-2 whole ones a day.

Yeh it adds up a little. Strawberries are eaten frozen with yoghurt normally. Keeps me satisfied as a dessert.

jonnicola
10-13-2017, 08:24 AM
TIL about unhelpful carbs

allrnder
10-13-2017, 04:56 PM
all carbs we eat no matter where they come from get broken down into glucose. no matter where is comes from. Lettuce or ice cream.
This glucose it put into our blood.
If not burnt as fuel it get stored as glucogen in the mucles and liver.
When needed that glycogen is then converted back into glucose thought a process called glycogenolysis,

All carbs can be "helpful"

Brozef
10-13-2017, 05:34 PM
all carbs we eat no matter where they come from get broken down into glucose. no matter where is comes from. Lettuce or ice cream.
This glucose it put into our blood.
If not burnt as fuel it get stored as glucogen in the mucles and liver.
When needed that glycogen is then converted back into glucose thought a process called glycogenolysis,

All carbs can be "helpful"

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that at best half of consumed fructose turns into glucose, the rest turns to fatty acid.

AdamWW
10-13-2017, 05:44 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that at best half of consumed fructose turns into glucose, the rest turns to fatty acid.

Varied conversions depending on health status, dosage periods, and studies:
https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-9-89

"Fructose-glucose conversion
The disposal pathway for fructose is not solely by direct oxidation, as some absorbed fructose will be converted to glucose. A number of studies have determined the extent of the conversion, which can only be clearly done using tracers. Table 2 tabulates the data from various studies with different experimental conditions. Tran and colleagues[70] studied the conversion of fructose to glucose as compared between men and women. After a 3 times ingestion of a fructose-containing beverage (3x0.3 g/kg bw), 37.4% of the fructose was converted to glucose in men during 6 hours. This value is significantly higher than the conversion rate of 28.9% observed in women. Similarly, using an equal fructose dosage, Paquot et al.[52] noted the conversion percent from fructose to glucose was 36.4% in 8 normal subjects (4 M + 4 F), which is comparable with Tran’s data. However, the conversion proportion appeared to be lower in obese and diabetic subjects (29.5% and 30.2%, respectively). In a dosing study monitored over a period of 6 hours, using 0.5 and 1 gram/kg bw, the conversion from fructose to glucose was reported to be 54% and 50.7% of given dosages, respectively[49]. Surmely et al.[71] infused fructose at 3 mg/kg bw per minute for the first 3 hours, followed by doubling the infusion dosage for the next 3 hours. It was noted that the subsequent higher infusion dose level somewhat slowed the fructose conversion percentage, 22% and 28% for high and low dose levels respectively. Under exercise conditions, Lecoultre et al.[51] reported that 29% of ingested fructose (96 g) is converted to glucose when a steady state of carbohydrate flux was reached (1.7-2 hrs from the beginning of study). With repeated administration to achieve a high dose level and under exercise, Jandrian et al.[50] reported that 55-60% of circulating glucose comes from fructose conversion during the latter half of the monitoring period. This data is similar to that observed by Delarue et al.[49] who reported the amount of glucose synthesized from fructose was 57% of overall glucose appearance in the circulation after an ingestion of fructose at dosage of 1 g/kg bw, while the subjects were not under exercise. These data suggest that 41% ±10.5 (mean ± SD, range 29-54%) of fructose can be converted to glucose within 2–6 hours after ingestion in normal non-exercise subjects. This conversion may be lower in women compared to men, and obese and diabetic subjects may also have lower conversion capability."

One of the citations: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00400238

General Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructolysis#cite_note-nutritionandmetabolism.com-2

Brozef
10-14-2017, 04:48 AM
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to AdamWW again.

Mrpb
10-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Fruits are a good carb source if used at the right time. First thing in the morning when you wake up your blood sugar tends to be level or low so having fruits shouldn't cause harm.

FYI: There's no wrong time to eat fruit.

Unless you have blood sugar problems don't worry about it.