PDA

View Full Version : When did you first believe in the Globe?

BlackJack619
09-28-2017, 11:25 AM
How old were you when you knew without any doubt that you live on a globe that travels 300 million miles around the sun every year?

N0rds
09-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Tide goes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that!

BlackJack619
09-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Tide goes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that! what is gravity?

BFast55
09-28-2017, 11:41 AM
Is this another flat-earth thread?

BlackJack619
09-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Is this another flat-earth thread? No it's a, when did you first come to believe in the globe thread.

Bushmaster
09-28-2017, 11:53 AM
No it's a, when did you first come to believe in the globe thread.

My first grade teacher had one in her room.

EpicLevelWizard
09-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Globe, Globes, Globuler, Global, Globalist, Globist, Globiest Globalist, Hemoglobin.

Half-Life 3 confirmed!

BlackJack619
09-28-2017, 11:57 AM
My first grade teacher had one in her room.Is that when you also started believing the globe goes around the sun or did you learn that in the 3rd grade when they made you make a solar system in a shoe box?

Bushmaster
09-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Is that when you also started believing the globe goes around the sun or did you learn that in the 3rd grade when they made you make a solar system in a shoe box?

Huh? The globe never went anywhere.. It always stayed in her classroom. :confused:

PSToolman
09-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Huh? The globe never went anywhere.. It always stayed in her classroom. :confused:

Groan!

BFast55
09-28-2017, 12:30 PM
No it's a, when did you first come to believe in the globe thread.
You mean to say when did I first believe in a desktop sphere with printed overlay that vaguely mimics the earth?

BlackJack619
09-28-2017, 05:16 PM
You mean to say when did I first believe in a desktop sphere with printed overlay that vaguely mimics the earth?by vaguely do you mean not at all?

ODBM
09-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I guess it was probably elementary school where we learned that the earth was a sphere and revolves around the sun. Why?

PSToolman
09-28-2017, 05:51 PM
I still believe that North America is bigger than Africa, and India is smaller than Scandinavia.

Bushmaster
09-28-2017, 06:35 PM
I still believe that North America is bigger than Africa, and India is smaller than Scandinavia.

And Texas is bigger than Rhode Island. So what.

WarriorRustler
09-28-2017, 06:42 PM
I have no idea when exactly, but seeing the earth in elementary school, the discovery channel and planets being blown up in movies like Star Wars pretty much confirmed it.

So maybe like 4 or 5 years old.

gachase21
09-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Can we get past the bs schematics , get strait to the flat earth crap so we can start using some physics and geometry in the debate.

WarriorRustler
09-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Op, you don't seriously believe the earth is flat do you?

Well if so, let's get on with the debate like the poster above just said. My body is ready.

Socrawell
09-28-2017, 06:53 PM
To answer this troll thread seriously, I remember in 6th grade our teacher explained how Euclides, or Copernicus, or whomever it was, figured out the circumference of the Earth and its rate of rotation and all that. The math seems to check out.

That was when I first believeded in the globe.

gachase21
09-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Where is cat brah these days

PSToolman
09-28-2017, 08:22 PM
And Texas is bigger than Rhode Island. So what.

Not on this map, it isn't.
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ffb8de4435afe97762b801122d7d386e

Mr Beer
09-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Probably about 5. I was a precocious lil fker so I expect my parents explained it to me.

adimare
09-28-2017, 08:38 PM
The Earth is flat, round earthers are sheep buying into NASA's propaganda.

I'll start: "gravity" doesn't exist, we're just accelerating upwards at 9.8m/s^2 which is why things fall down when we let them go. Prove me wrong.

JoocyMane13
09-29-2017, 03:14 AM
id say around prep or grade one. maybe even slightly earlier then that. why do you ask?

Godfrd824
09-29-2017, 03:58 AM
What's the end goal of this round earth conspiracy?

adimare
09-29-2017, 04:28 AM
What's the end goal of this round earth conspiracy?

Funding for NASA and increased costs for telecoms. They overcharge by making you think they need to employ satellites that cost billions of dollars and are hundreds of miles high while in fact all telecoms are mostly ground-based and satellites are mere tens of thousands of feet high.

ichBinBerliner
09-29-2017, 06:38 AM
Funding for NASA and increased costs for telecoms. They overcharge by making you think they need to employ satellites that cost billions of dollars and are hundreds of miles high while in fact all telecoms are mostly ground-based and satellites are mere tens of thousands of feet high.

Truth. I dunno why anyone would believe anything from NASA. Its all a ploy to get more funding. Riddle me this: Why hasn't anyone on this forum flown or sailed completely around the world? its because you cant.

PSToolman
09-29-2017, 06:42 AM
Truth. I dunno why anyone would believe anything from NASA. Its all a ploy to get more funding. Riddle me this: Why hasn't anyone on this forum flown or sailed completely around the world? its because you cant.

It's because most people never want to travel more than half way around.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 06:52 AM

As an airline pilot I have flown around the world. And I never flew over the edge.

Bushmaster
09-29-2017, 06:53 AM

On this forum? Lol how do you know?

Pretty sure there are some Navy vets around who have probably sailed around it, why don't you go ask them? What, you don't honestly think ships fall off the edge of the earth do you?

ichBinBerliner
09-29-2017, 06:57 AM
As an airline pilot I have flown around the world. And I never flew over the edge.

Do you have video of it? Thats what i thought. Only sheep take NASA at face value. Round earth scientists perpetuate this myth to get more funding. Same thing with climate scientists. There is no "edge" you just warp back to the other side.

https://i.imgur.com/V3pwPkq.gif

adimare
09-29-2017, 07:12 AM
What, you don't honestly think ships fall off the edge of the earth do you?

Of course they don't, there's a giant ice wall at the edge preventing that.

Bushmaster
09-29-2017, 07:17 AM
Do you have video of it? Thats what i thought. Only sheep take NASA at face value. Round earth scientists perpetuate this myth to get more funding. Same thing with climate scientists. There is no "edge" you just warp back to the other side.

2mSd5t2n3ck

Zuggie
09-29-2017, 07:30 AM

Pretty sure there are some Navy vets around who have probably sailed around it, why don't you go ask them? What, you don't honestly think ships fall off the edge of the earth do you?

lol I just pictured the "The Truman Show" where Jim Carrey hits the green screen as he attempts to sail away ..

ichBinBerliner
09-29-2017, 07:36 AM

Edge? There is no edge. You just warp around to the other side. It happens instantaneously. I read about it on scientists blog. The guy has a PhD. The round earth scientists have been suppressing his research because he jeopardizes their funding.

tng83
09-29-2017, 07:41 AM

I'll start: "gravity" doesn't exist, we're just accelerating upwards at 9.8m/s^2 which is why things fall down when we let them go. Prove me wrong.

About as easy to prove as red is red. You just have to accept that you're retarded and smart people have figured out that the Earth is round. If you cannot it makes no real difference to anyone.

nosirrahx
09-29-2017, 07:44 AM
No one has ever created an invention that only works if the earth is flat.

$ > internet stupidity

If these tards were right, they would also be rich.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 07:48 AM

Sorry, bro, a dead dragon just melted that wall ;)

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 07:49 AM

Would a video show warping back to the other side? I thought not.

adimare
09-29-2017, 07:49 AM
About as easy to prove as red is red. You just have to accept that you're retarded and smart people have figured out that the Earth is round. If you cannot it makes no real difference to anyone.

Actually, smart people have figured out that the Earth is flat, the evidence is out there (mostly in the form of youtube videos). If you're too much of a sheep to look into it and are willing to take NASA's word on pure faith, that's your call. Also, you didn't even attempt to disprove my explanation of gravity. If it's so easy, why not give it a shot?

Audioslave
09-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Why is this thread posted in the religion and politics section?

PSToolman
09-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Why is this thread posted in the religion and politics section?

Or, at all?

Sal29
09-29-2017, 07:51 AM
I think for anyone who has never been above 40,000 feet, globe earth, flat earth, concave earth, etc are all theories. None of the theories can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt till the common man can go at least hundreds of miles up to see with their own eyes through glass that does NOT CREATE a barrel or fisheye distortion.
To see the true shape of the earth, the common man has to be able to go up at least 10,000 miles and most likely tens of thousands of miles.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 07:52 AM
I think for anyone who has never been above 40,000 feet, globe earth, flat earth, concave earth, etc are all theories. None of the theories can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt till the common man can go at least hundreds of miles up to see with their own eyes through glass that does NOT CREATE a barrel or fisheye distortion.
To see the true shape of the earth, the common man has to be able to go up at least 10,000 miles and most likely tens of thousands of miles.

When I was a teenager I flew on Concorde at 60,000 feet. The curvature of the earth was clearly evident.

TitusVI
09-29-2017, 07:53 AM
2z-OLG0KyR4

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 07:54 AM
Actually, smart people have figured out that the Earth is flat, the evidence is out there (mostly in the form of youtube videos). If you're too much of a sheep to look into it and are willing to take NASA's word on pure faith, that's your call. Also, you didn't even attempt to disprove my explanation of gravity. If it's so easy, why not give it a shot?

lol @ youtube videos as evidence. You seem as sane as Metco is with his ridiculous 9/11 CT youtube videos.

Jesse_l_g
09-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Not sure exactly. Kindergarten? It didn't fully sink in though until one night after eating peruvian torch. I was laying on my back looking up at the sky and felt the centripetal force of earth plastering me to the ground and flying through space. /coolstorybro

This flat earth theory is fascinating to me. I have come to accept there really are a bunch of people who believe it. It's hard to tell who the trolls are though. How do these people explain time zones? Can't they just call someone up on the west coast and verify the sun hasn't set yet? It always amazes me how dumb people really are.

Bushmaster
09-29-2017, 07:56 AM
2z-OLG0KyR4

I saw that once before.. Absolutely painful to watch.

nosirrahx
09-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Even if you want to entertain the notion that the earth is flat you must also rewrite the rest of physics as well. The fundamental forces and particles bind all of science together.

If any major part is wrong, all science is wrong.

The best evidence against this is predictions that take decades to prove. If science was wrong then you could never make any predictions based on those incorrect assumptions and if you did they would usually be wrong.

Zuggie
09-29-2017, 08:01 AM
When I was a teenager I flew on Concorde at 60,000 feet. The curvature of the earth was clearly evident.

/thread

adimare
09-29-2017, 08:05 AM
How do these people explain time zones? Can't they just call someone up on the west coast and verify the sun hasn't set yet? It always amazes me how dumb people really are.
For every question you have, there's always an answer in the form of a youtube video:
z9Coy44wtFA

RIKTER
09-29-2017, 08:19 AM
Probably 1st grade, same time I was taught gender fluidity and transgenderism was not only normal but heroic.

For those with young kids here ask them what they were taught today in school and then tell them the teacher was wrong and choose the opposite of what was taught and almost guaranteed your 2nd grader will push back on you...see how that works.

ichBinBerliner
09-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Atmospheric distortion brah. If the earth was round and rotating like NASA says, if I place a ball on the ground, it should start rolling the opposite direction the earth is spinning. It doesnt.

https://i.imgur.com/Tcm7QHk.gif

PSToolman
09-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Atmospheric distortion brah. If the earth was round and rotating like NASA says, if I place a ball on the ground, it should start rolling the opposite direction the earth is spinning. It doesnt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CrqAhmQ9Knc/UXK-nRIewtI/AAAAAAAAAPg/Ka-KZGIs_8Y/s1600/reefermad2.jpg

adimare
09-29-2017, 08:52 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

Ever heard of Mach's principle? It states that local inertial frames are determined by the large scale distribution of matter. In simpler terms, the mass out there influences inertia here. As everyone knows, the Earth is the center of the Universe and all stars are rotating around it, this has an effect on our inertial frame which causes the Foucault pendulum to move the way it does.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 09:19 AM

Well, I guess you'll have to continue thinking I'm one of the sheep who believes in an (almost) round earth and I'll continue believing you're either trolling or delusional.

sy2502
09-29-2017, 09:33 AM
As a little kid, I went to the beach, looked out to the sea and saw the horizon was curved.

ODBM
09-29-2017, 09:43 AM
For people who believe the earth is flat, what would be the reason for trying to convince people that it's spherical? Furthermore, wouldn't commercial airline pilots be aware of the truth if it was flat?

~Hades~
09-29-2017, 09:52 AM
some days its hard to tell if flat earthers are just straight up baked potatoes or just the worst trolls

why not both?

TurkBrah
09-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I guess it was probably elementary school where we learned that the earth was a sphere and revolves around the sun. Why?

this

op is a goddamn moron

ODBM
09-29-2017, 09:57 AM
this

op is a goddamn moron
To be fair, we were taught a lot of untrue things in public school. But I do not currently believe this to be among them.

Retoaded
09-29-2017, 10:04 AM

OK. you realize if we have been accelerating at that rate since the beginning of time that we would literally be moving INFINITELY faster that the speeds that the earth is actually moving at that you flat earthers laugh at. infinitely faster.

So I guess if we are now accelerating at the speed of infinity, flat sun and moon and stars and planets are also accelerating upward at the speed of infinity in perfect unison with us right?

LOL. next brain buster?

Aesthetical
09-29-2017, 10:07 AM
When in school, you would spin the globe and put your finger down to learn about a new country.

I landed on Niger, but I pronounced it wrong.

I was 6.

adimare
09-29-2017, 10:25 AM
As a little kid, I went to the beach, looked out to the sea and saw the horizon was curved.

No you didn't, specially at sea level. At an altitude of 2m above sea level, in a theoretical round Earth (which doesn't exist) the horizon would be ~4.7km away from you. The alleged diameter of Earth is 12,756km across, so you'd only be seeing 0.037% of the Earth's diameter. If you take any circle and magnify a portion of its circumference that corresponds to 0.037% of its diameter, you won't see any curvature.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-66e7019c8a2d37c9c77ef695b0944f9b.webp

You just thought you saw it because that's what you were expecting, because that's what the NASA controlled media wants you to think.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 10:27 AM
No you didn't, specially at sea level. At an altitude of 2m above sea level, in a theoretical round Earth (which doesn't exist) the horizon would be ~4.7km away from you. The alleged diameter of Earth is 12,756km across, so you'd only be seeing 0.037% of the Earth's diameter. If you take any circle and magnify a portion of its circumference that corresponds to 0.037% of its diameter, you won't see any curvature.

You just thought you saw it because that's what you were expecting, because that's what the NASA controlled media wants you to think.

But in an airplane at 60,000 feet I have seen the curvature

Sal29
09-29-2017, 10:58 AM
But in an airplane at 60,000 feet I have seen the curvature

LMFAO, if you could see curvature at 60,000, then earth would have to have a circumference FAR FAR FAR LESS than 24,901 miles.
I've never seen any curvature at 40,000 feet the dozens of times I've looked for it.
Remember, you're looking for VERTICAL curvature like in an arch, NOT horizontal curvature like standing on TOP of a big crop circle.
You can see horizontal curvature at the beach looking at the ocean simply because you're looking at equal distances when you pan your head from left to right.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 11:09 AM
LMFAO, if you could see curvature at 60,000, then earth would have to have a circumference FAR FAR FAR LESS than 24,901 miles.
I've never seen any curvature at 40,000 feet the dozens of times I've looked for it.
Remember, you're looking for VERTICAL curvature like in an arch, NOT horizontal curvature like standing on TOP of a big crop circle.
You can see horizontal curvature at the beach looking at the ocean simply because you're looking at equal distances when you pan your head from left to right.

Whatever you say, Einstein. But you are wrong, as you often are. The view at FL600 is very different than the view at FL400

http://www.travelscholar.com/concorde/page03.html

Sal29
09-29-2017, 11:11 AM

How many tens of thousands of miles of Ice did you fly over after you passed Antartica to prove that there is no edge?
Also, most flat earth models are INFINATE PLANES with NO EDGE.
The Edge is a Red Herring invented by globe earth theorists. I actually do research on my point of view as well as opposing points of view unlike you. There are Red Herrings invented by Flat Earthers too. Buildings in the distance leaning back is a laughable argument by Flat earthers to me.
A very tall building 69.17 miles away would only lean back ONE DEGREE on a globe earth model.
No one could tell the difference between a 90 degree and 89 degree angle at that distance.

adimare
09-29-2017, 11:13 AM
OK. you realize if we have been accelerating at that rate since the beginning of time that we would literally be moving INFINITELY faster that the speeds that the earth is actually moving at that you flat earthers laugh at. infinitely faster.

So I guess if we are now accelerating at the speed of infinity, flat sun and moon and stars and planets are also accelerating upward at the speed of infinity in perfect unison with us right?

LOL. next brain buster?

First of all, the acceleration is constant, so we're not "accelerating at the speed of infinity", we're accelerating constantly at 9.8m/s^s.

An acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 means that every second, our speed increases by 9.8m/s. So if right now we're moving at 9.8 meters per second, one second from now we'll be moving at 19.6 meters per second, two seconds from now we'll be moving at 29.4 meters per second, etc. Every second, you add 9.8 to our current speed.

The reason that doesn't grow indefinitely is because of special relativity. Turns out that the actual formula to add velocities is not as simple as you'd think. You have to take into consideration the relative speed between the distinct frames of reference you use to analyze a situation when you add up velocities. For instance, imagine you're on Earth (which is flat) and measure the velocity at moment A to be 0m/s, and at moment B, 1 second later, to be 9.8m/s. Now, if I'm analyzing the situation from a frame reference outside of Earth, where at moment A Earth was seen traveling upwards at a speed of 299,792,450 m/s. How fast was it traveling at moment B according to me?

If you just add 9.8 to 299,792,450 you get 299,792,459.8m/s, which is faster than the speed of light, so right there you might suspect that something's wrong with that calculation. This is the actual formula you need to use to add up velocities:

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/6eb3091ed58441a1f81b65cdc3911cc471084ee4
Where
v = 299,792,450 m/s
u' = 9.8 m/s
c = 299,792,458 m/s

Result: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(299792450%2B9.8)%2F(1+%2B+((299792450*9.8)%2F( 299792458%5E2)))

The result is has a difference of only 5.23*10^-7 m/s from the original speed. So from my frame of reference I only see a tiny change in Earth's speed, while you see a change of 9.8m/s. You can do that addition over and over, and from my frame of reference Earth will never reach the speed of light, while from your frame of reference, you'll always measure an increase of exactly 9.8m/s in your speed every second. So a model of a flat Earth infinitely accelerating upwards at 9.8m/s from its own frame of reference is very much possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity-addition_formula#Special_relativity

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 11:13 AM
How many tens of thousands of miles of Ice did you fly over after you passed Antartica to prove that there is no edge?
Also, most flat earth models are INFINATE PLANES with NO EDGE.
The Edge is a Red Herring invented by globe earth theorists. I actually do research on my point of view as well as opposing points of view unlike you. There are Red Herrings invented by Flat Earthers too. Buildings in the distance leaning back is a laughable to me.
A very tall building 69.17 miles away would only lean back ONE DEGREE on a globe earth model.
No one could tell the difference between a 90 degree and 89 degree angle at that distance.

You should stop with this childish drivel. Arne't you the guy that falsely tried to claim a jet airliner could never fly faster than Vmo?

ODBM
09-29-2017, 11:15 AM
For people who believe the earth is flat, what would be the reason for trying to convince people that it's spherical? Furthermore, wouldn't commercial airline pilots be aware of the truth if it was flat?
Can someone who is serious about the flat earth argument respond to this? Thanks in advance.

Sal29
09-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Whatever you say, Einstein. But you are wrong, as you often are. The view at FL600 is very different than the view at FL400

http://www.travelscholar.com/concorde/page03.html

WRONG, 60,000 feet is simply too low to see any curvature. You can see BARREL DISTORTION or Fish Eye effect caused by certain types of glass, but NEVER CURVATURE.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e5KsNni5hEc
It's already been proven in Autocad that 120,000 is the minimum altitude you should start to see barely discernable curvature on a sphere with a 24901 mile circumference.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 11:20 AM
WRONG, 60,000 feet is simply too low to see any curvature. You can see BARREL DISTORTION or Fish Eye effect caused by certain types of glass, but NEVER CURVATURE.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e5KsNni5hEc
It's already been proven in Autocad that 120,000 is the minimum altitude you should start to see barely discernable curvature on a sphere with a 24901 mile circumference.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, you delusional person.

Sal29
09-29-2017, 11:22 AM
First of all, the acceleration is constant, so we're not "accelerating at the speed of infinity", we're accelerating constantly at 9.8m/s^s.

An acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 means that every second, our speed increases by 9.8m/s. So if right now we're moving at 9.8 meters per second, one second from now we'll be moving at 19.6 meters per second, two seconds from now we'll be moving at 29.4 meters per second, etc. Every second, you add 9.8 to our current speed.

The reason that doesn't grow indefinitely is because of special relativity. Turns out that the actual formula to add velocities is not as simple as you'd think. You have to take into consideration the relative speed between the distinct frames of reference you use to analyze a situation when you add up velocities. For instance, imagine you're on Earth (which is flat) and measure the velocity at moment A to be 0m/s, and at moment B, 1 second later, to be 9.8m/s. Now, if I'm analyzing the situation from a frame reference outside of Earth, where at moment A Earth was seen traveling upwards at a speed of 299,792,450 m/s. How fast was it traveling at moment B according to me?

If you just add 9.8 to 299,792,450 you get 299,792,459.8m/s, which is faster than the speed of light, so right there you might suspect that something's wrong with that calculation. This is the actual formula you need to use to add up velocities:

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/6eb3091ed58441a1f81b65cdc3911cc471084ee4
Where
v = 299,792,450 m/s
u' = 9.8 m/s
c = 299,792,458 m/s

Result: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(299792450%2B9.8)%2F(1+%2B+((299792450*9.8)%2F( 299792458%5E2)))

The result is has a difference of only 5.23*10^-7 m/s from the original speed. So from my frame of reference I only see a tiny change in Earth's speed, while you see a change of 9.8m/s. You can do that addition over and over, and from my frame of reference Earth will never reach the speed of light, while from your frame of reference, you'll always measure an increase of exactly 9.8m/s in your speed every second. So a model of a flat Earth infinitely accelerating upwards at 9.8m/s from its own frame of reference is very much possible.

NO ACTUAL flat earther believes in the earth accelerating theory. They believe buoyancy, density, and electromagnetism are the only forces required to explain why things fall back to earth, not gravity.

BFast55
09-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Space travel. Your move.

sy2502
09-29-2017, 11:30 AM
https://pics.me.me/a-lunar-eclipse-according-to-flat-earth-ers-20073403.png

Sal29
09-29-2017, 11:34 AM
You should stop with this childish drivel. Arne't you the guy that falsely tried to claim a jet airliner could never fly faster than Vmo?

PROVE THAT I said that.

adimare
09-29-2017, 11:42 AM
NO ACTUAL flat earther believes in the earth accelerating theory. They believe buoyancy, density, and electromagnetism are the only forces required to explain why things fall back to earth, not gravity.

Well that is just retarded.

sy2502
09-29-2017, 11:46 AM

LOL!
The ancient Greeks, seafarers specifically, theorized the earth was spherical from naked eye observations. Strabo put that out 2000 years ago. Eratosthenes even went through the trouble of calculating the earth's circumference. Why would they do that? Because that's what they expected to see? They were surrounded by civilizations that believed the earth was flat, who influenced them if not their own eyes? They didn't have planes, so where did they get the idea of round earth?

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 11:46 AM
PROVE THAT I said that.

I just asked a question. And given how defensive you became over a simple question, it's clear to me what the answer is. I have to prove nothing.

Sal29
09-29-2017, 11:51 AM
I just asked a question. And given how defensive you became over a simple question, it's clear to me what the answer is. I have to prove nothing.

Typical response if a liar caught in a BOLD FACED LIE.

adimare
09-29-2017, 11:51 AM
LOL!
The ancient Greeks, seafarers specifically, theorized the earth was spherical from naked eye observations. Strabo put that out 2000 years ago. Eratosthenes even went through the trouble of calculating the earth's circumference. Why would they do that? Because that's what they expected to see? They were surrounded by civilizations that believed the earth was flat, who influenced them if not their own eyes? They didn't have planes, so where did they get the idea of round earth?

When Eratosthenes conducted his experiment with sticks and shadows to measure Earth's circumference, he made the wrong assumption that the Sun was sufficiently far away for him to be able to do his math as if the light coming from the Sun was coming from a source infinitely far away. Using his own math and making the assumption that Earth is flat, you can calculate the actual distance from the Earth to the Sun, which is roughly 3,000 miles.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 11:54 AM
Typical response if a liar caught in a BOLD FACED LIE.

Except you clearly don't know the definition of the word lie. I never accused you of anything, so how could I have lied. I just asked a simple question of you. So, please, tell me how I lied.

You clearly have a short memory:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174332861

KENKONG
09-29-2017, 11:56 AM
PROVE THAT I said that.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174332861&highlight=vmo

Sal29
09-29-2017, 12:04 PM
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174332861&highlight=vmo

WRONG, I said it couldn't do It as alleged on 9/11 WITHOUT BREAKING APART.
Leaving that out COMPLETELY changes the meaning of what I said.

KENKONG
09-29-2017, 12:05 PM

I don't give a fuk what you said, I just posted the link - calm your tits felicia

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 12:05 PM

Yeah but you are wrong. Airliners have flown faster than Vmo and faster than Vne without falling apart. But, again, how did I lie?

steeperdolphin
09-29-2017, 12:10 PM
WDdwP0Ucomk

H-ueIDV3Dro

Sal29
09-29-2017, 12:12 PM
Yeah but you are wrong. Airliners have flown faster than Vmo and faster than Vne without falling apart. But, again, how did I lie?

While technically not a lie, you misrepresented what I said.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 12:14 PM
While technically not a lie, you misrepresented what I said.

1. No I didn't.
2. When can I expect an apology for you calling me a liar.

HoganIsGOAT
09-29-2017, 12:16 PM
When in school, you would spin the globe and put your finger down to learn about a new country.

I was 6.

Hahahahahahahahaha. Hilariously awkward.

Silvercreek7
09-29-2017, 12:18 PM
In on Eddie Bravo thread

Sal29
09-29-2017, 12:39 PM
WDdwP0Ucomk

H-ueIDV3Dro

Boats going over the curvature was,already debunked at about 3:10 in this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzeUhc8xQ3U

The U2 footage showing curvature was also debunked long ago.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z0WbC4PaQks

Common everyday people have to be able to go up hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands of miles before we ever know what shape or size the earth is for sure.

BFast55
09-29-2017, 12:45 PM
When Eratosthenes conducted his experiment with sticks and shadows to measure Earth's circumference, he made the wrong assumption that the Sun was sufficiently far away for him to be able to do his math as if the light coming from the Sun was coming from a source infinitely far away. Using his own math and making the assumption that Earth is flat, you can calculate the actual distance from the Earth to the Sun, which is roughly 3,000 miles.
LMAO. You forget that we've sent probes towards the sun and have used several methods to accurately measure the distance from the sun. For the sun to be 3000 miles away it would have to be well within the orbit of the moon (300,000 miles) and also much smaller than the moon itself.

steeperdolphin
09-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Boats going over the curvature was,already debunked at about 3:10 in this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzeUhc8xQ3U

The U2 footage showing curvature was also debunked long ago.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z0WbC4PaQks

Common everyday people have to be able to go up hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands of miles before we ever know what shape or size the earth is for sure.

:rolleyes: My son works on the U2 @ Lockhead... If you ever made an stufuk remark like the earth is flat you would no longer work @ a place where you use the curvature and the orbit of the earth in every equation on every missile and satellite!

adimare
09-29-2017, 12:57 PM
LMAO. You forget that we've sent probes towards the sun and have used several methods to accurately measure the distance from the sun. For the sun to be 3000 miles away it would have to be well within the orbit of the moon (300,000 miles) and also much smaller than the moon itself.

You're just gonna take NASA's word on that? In the Flat Earth model, the moon and sun are roughly the same size, and are both ~3,000 miles away from Earth (which is flat).

Stizzel
09-29-2017, 01:17 PM
A better question would be, when did I first realize that IDGAF?

That would be today.

BlackJack619
09-29-2017, 01:26 PM
id say around prep or grade one. maybe even slightly earlier then that. why do you ask?at the time did you also believe in the tooth ferry?

BFast55
09-29-2017, 01:30 PM
You're just gonna take NASA's word on that? In the Flat Earth model, the moon and sun are roughly the same size, and are both ~3,000 miles away from Earth (which is flat).
The tides worldwide disagree with you.

ichBinBerliner
09-29-2017, 01:37 PM

money bro. Scientists get paid cash to perpetuate myths. Just look at global warming. Its a myth. Yet 4 mil scientists all standing up telling us the earth is getting warmer so they can continue to get grant money. NASA telling us the earth is getting warmer. Since they lie about that, we know they must be lying about everything.

adimare
09-29-2017, 01:39 PM
The tides worldwide disagree with you.

Are you saying you don't buy that a moon 3,000 miles away could influence tides, but a moon 240,000 miles away could?

ichBinBerliner
09-29-2017, 01:40 PM

Proof we sent probes to the sun? Oh that's right, NASA scientists told you that. Same scientists that say global warming is caused by man.

BFast55
09-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Are you saying you don't buy that a moon 3,000 miles away could influence tides, but a moon 240,000 miles away could?
Your belief in a flat earth requires acceptance of a worldwide conspiracy of astronauts, astronomers, physicists, engineers, and observers over a period of 100's of years in order to be true. It is frankly laughable that you are trying to lecture me on extraordinary claims.

Proof we sent probes to the sun? Oh that's right, NASA scientists told you that. Same scientists that say global warming is caused by man.
No need to insert unrelated strawmen into this. You on that flat earther train too?

steeperdolphin
09-29-2017, 01:55 PM

There is no ISS or satellites. There are no such thing as dinosaurs and longitudes and latitudes are fake too.

We call that brain damage.

ichBinBerliner
09-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Your belief in a flat earth requires acceptance of a worldwide conspiracy of astronauts, astronomers, physicists, engineers, and observers over a period of 100's of years in order to be true. It is frankly laughable that you are trying to lecture me on extraordinary claims.

There is a world wide conspiracy of scientists, engineers, and governments claiming global warming is caused by man. Do you deny that?!

No need to insert unrelated strawmen into this. You on that flat earther train too?

Straw man? You stated "We sent probes to the sun". I call BS. I dont see any proof of said probes. Did you see them in a telescope or something? Or are you just relying on on the global warming scientists at NASA?

BlackJack619
09-29-2017, 02:04 PM
I think it's interesting most people were believing in Santa clause the same time they came to believe in a spinning earth.

Girlgoneweird
09-29-2017, 02:16 PM
I went to a Montessori private school run by commie hippies. I never believed in a round Earth. Instead the teachers would have a giant amethyst, quartz, or other stone that sat in a small pool of water.
Every morning I remember we had to go and each put our hands inside the pool of water. Our teachers told us to imagine that we are all connected just like the water and that the Earth (Crystal) was the energy that flowed through each of us.

Then we'd go to sit on our kindergarten mats :)

Retoaded
09-29-2017, 02:18 PM

Where
v = 299,792,450 m/s
u' = 9.8 m/s
c = 299,792,458 m/s

on the first point you are correct, i phrased that wrong. the rest of what you are saying is ridiculous. in flat earth theory sun and moon are only 3,000 miles above the earth right? they would have to be accelerating in unison with the earth or the earth would pass them in moments. so would the stars and all other bodies clearly observable from earth. your explanation is absurd to apply special relativity to this situation. your explanation would require the entire universe to be moving at the speed of light but hey its OK because relative to us its all good. what an outrageous concept. i have a degree in engineering with a minor in physics and you are legit retarded if not trolling.

adimare
09-29-2017, 03:28 PM
on the first point you are correct, i phrased that wrong. the rest of what you are saying is ridiculous. in flat earth theory sun and moon are only 3,000 miles above the earth right? they would have to be accelerating in unison with the earth or the earth would pass them in moments.
Yes, they would have to be.

so would the stars and all other bodies clearly observable from earth. your explanation is absurd to apply special relativity to this situation. your explanation would require the entire universe to be moving at the speed of light but hey its OK because relative to us its all good. what an outrageous concept.
Relativity is outrageous? That's not even special relativity, Galilean relativity would be enough to explain a model where the Earth, Sun and Moon are traveling upwards with a relative speed of 0 between each other without any issues. How is that more outrageous than a system where the Moon is revolving around the Earth, the Earth is revolving around the Sun, and they're all revolving around the galaxy's center in unison?

Do you disagree that it's possible to have a system that's constantly accelerating in its proper frame of reference indefinitely while accelerating unevenly from an outside frame of reference where it only approaches the speed of light but never reaches it? If there's an error in how I postulated the thought experiment or math, feel free to point it out.

PlanoLifter
09-29-2017, 03:53 PM
I think it's interesting most people were believing in Santa clause the same time they came to believe in a spinning earth.

During the time I believed in Santa I also came to believe that electricity can kill me and that I could drown in water. So I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here.

PSToolman
09-29-2017, 04:06 PM
To be fair, we were taught a lot of untrue things in public school. But I do not currently believe this to be among them.

That's why I posted the Mercator Projection map. It's full of lies. Starting with which end is up.

dakensta
09-29-2017, 04:08 PM
.... and God and Jesus and Allah and Mohammed and Buddha etc...
is that the point you're making?

PSToolman
09-29-2017, 04:09 PM

I was 6.

So you said NYE-jer instead of knee-ZHER, right?

PSToolman
09-29-2017, 04:12 PM

Where
v = 299,792,450 m/s
u' = 9.8 m/s
c = 299,792,458 m/s

The cope is strong in this one.

PSToolman
09-29-2017, 04:20 PM

That's easier to believe than, well, pretty much everything else in this thread.

djfuzzy
09-29-2017, 06:52 PM
JgY8zNZ35uw

Also see parts 2 and 3 of this series.

OP, good luck with your space biscuit theory.

adimare
09-30-2017, 12:04 AM
The cope is strong in this one.

https://imgur.com/hiena13.jpg

How am I coping? That model is actually feasible.

ODBM
09-30-2017, 04:03 AM
In this thread, I can't tell whether adimare is serious or whether he's just having a laugh.

AlwaysFocus
09-30-2017, 04:11 AM
Didn't read thread, first time was when I owned a globe from a great grandpa and also had knowledge from elementary.

But once I owned a boat and roamed a river into the great blue I was convinced, plus I work on the ocean.

elterrible987
09-30-2017, 04:36 AM
flat earth is incompatible with everything we know about gravity.

gravity will create a spherical earth.

Go look at the equation for gravity. Not even the newer Einstein chit, the chit we've know for 400 years. Then go look at the experiments weve done confirming the gravitational pull between objects. Everything with mass is attracts to all other mass. It will form together in spheres. People talking flat earth havent gotten past what we've known for 400 years.

elterrible987
09-30-2017, 04:44 AM
There is a world wide conspiracy of scientists, engineers, and governments claiming global warming is caused by man. Do you deny that?!

Straw man? You stated "We sent probes to the sun". I call BS. I dont see any proof of said probes. Did you see them in a telescope or something? Or are you just relying on on the global warming scientists at NASA?

Our models for climate change are a complete mess, we cant predict chit, we tweak the models to fit the data. We cant even predict weather better than a day or two out before accuracy plummets. The accuracy for gravity models is far far higher.

I dont see anyone who benefits financially from a spherical earth vs flat earth. I do see an entire industry subsidized by government that produces eco friendly garbage, solar panels with break even points decades out, electric cars that produce more co2 and more hazmat than conventional cars due to the battery building process, ect ect.

PSToolman
09-30-2017, 05:31 AM
https://imgur.com/hiena13.jpg

How am I coping? That model is actually feasible.

It was a humorous commentary on an overly lengthy post in a silly thread.

Azrairc
09-30-2017, 06:42 AM
Well in theory the earth being "round" is an abritary man-made label with no absolute meaning so you could say the earth being round or flat cannot be proven or disapproved.

adimare
09-30-2017, 02:27 PM
In this thread, I can't tell whether adimare is serious or whether he's just having a laugh.

Flat Earth is no laughing matter. Also, satellites are airplanes with a hologram of a satellite on the bottom to fool backyard astronomers.

djfuzzy
09-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Flat Earth is no laughing matter. Also, satellites are airplanes with a hologram of a satellite on the bottom to fool backyard astronomers.
That’s where you’re wrong, chief.

BlackJack619
09-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Op, you don't seriously believe the earth is flat do you?

Well if so, let's get on with the debate like the poster above just said. My body is ready.
Can you explain in your own words how you understand the earth as being round? What is your go to piece of evidence?

ichBinBerliner
10-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Our models for climate change are a complete mess, we cant predict chit, we tweak the models to fit the data. We cant even predict weather better than a day or two out before accuracy plummets. The accuracy for gravity models is far far higher.

I dont see anyone who benefits financially from a spherical earth vs flat earth. I do see an entire industry subsidized by government that produces eco friendly garbage, solar panels with break even points decades out, electric cars that produce more co2 and more hazmat than conventional cars due to the battery building process, ect ect.

The entire weather and climate industry benefits. We can model gravity...but cant model weather? bibi plz. Thats because they falsely portray the earth as round instead of flat. Flat, non spinning earth is easy to model weather and climate. Its weird, you believe there is a world wide secret group controlling a world wide conspiracy of scientists, engineers, and governments claiming global warming is caused by man. But you dont think it can happen with anything else.

BlackJack619
02-21-2018, 02:19 PM

Pretty sure there are some Navy vets around who have probably sailed around it, why don't you go ask them? What, you don't honestly think ships fall off the edge of the earth do you?as a navy veteran who served on board cvn 76 and with acb1 I can confirm the earth is round, round like the worlds cup.

Iv been on a few training exercises called the pacific rim

Rim like on a cup.

steeperdolphin
02-21-2018, 02:26 PM
as a navy veteran who served on board cvn 76 and with acb1 I can confirm the earth is round, round like the worlds cup.

Iv been on a few training exercises called the pacific rim

Rim like on a cup.

So you're saying you know the earth is flat?

BlackJack619
02-21-2018, 02:28 PM
So you're saying you know the earth is flat?no I know it's round like the worlds cup, iv done training exercises along the pacific rim during a rim pax, an exercise with 20 other countries

steeperdolphin
02-21-2018, 02:55 PM
no I know it's round like the worlds cup, iv done training exercises along the pacific rim during a rim pax, an exercise with 20 other countries

Wtf does that even mean?

BlackJack619
02-21-2018, 04:52 PM
Wtf does that even mean?obviously the world isn't flat, but one large ass cup, the largest cup of them all

StrongMeat
02-21-2018, 05:03 PM

flat earth is actually a conspiracy started to reduce cell phone bills

https://i.groupme.com/286x258.gif.e91a4de4190c4fd0bf178a9d2d862a4d