PDA

View Full Version : I am up 9 pounds since this past Sunday

fluffysquirrel
09-20-2017, 06:35 PM
HI; I’m new to these forums; not sure if I posted in the right place, but looking for guidance. My weight on Friday at my weigh-in was 133.8. It is Wednesday, and I’m now at 142. I did go overboard a little bit this past weekend, with pizza, onion rings, cookies and brownies. I usually relax a little on Saturdays and then get right back to healthy eating on Sundays...But I enjoyed a little extra on Sunday. I am flustered because my weigh in is Friday, a day and a half away. I’m tempted to not go; I have been losing steady each week since October, with the exception of 2 small gains. I’m disappointed in myself. Wondering what to do about this 9 pounds that isn’t budging :/ I thank you for helpful input.

spradish
09-20-2017, 07:19 PM
You ate a bunch of carbs and sodium, which is pretty much an invitation for added water weight. It will eventually fall off but it will take time. Just how long can vary by quite a bit. Could be a week, could be a month.

elephantstone
09-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Remember that in order to gain one pound, you must eat a 3500 calorie surplus. So, to truly have put on nine pounds, you would have had to exceed your TDEE by 31,500 calories over the weekend. That's not to say that's impossible, as competitive eaters can put away 30,000 calories in one day, but I suspect its highly unlikely in your situation that you actually ate that much.

As spradish said, a lot of the foods you mentioned are high in carbs and sodium, which will cause you to retain more water. Remember also the physical weight of the additional food in your digestive tract which will (quite literally) pass over the next few days.

If weighing in on Friday will discourage you, don't do it. Just get back on track with your diet and exercise and give it a couple of weeks. You should soon see most of that weight drop off again.

NumbNuh
09-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Stop cheating so hard on your diet. If we could binge on 10,000 calories every weekend almost nobody would be fat

TEXASFATBOY39
09-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Happened to me also on my first week on my diet. Worked hard all week, gave up almost everything and ate clean. Dropped 10lbs, probably mostly water, but still nice to see. Then came the weekend on Saturday and i decided to have a cheat meal at Genghis Grill. Made a bowl with chicken, corn, green beans, pineapple, oranges, spiral pasta and white rice. Got enough for lunch and dinner that day. The very next day i weighed and i was 5lbs heavier. Too much starch apparently. Working hard this week again to get the 5 lbs back and just got there last night. Its all a learning process as i just started roughly 2 weeks ago.

fluffysquirrel
09-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Thank you everyone, for your input:) I bit the bullet and went to my weigh in. Up 1.4. But at least it was nowhere near the water I was carrying all week. Hoping to get rid of that and keep heading toward my goal weight. As for cheating hard on my diet, if I could be virtuous all the time, I would, LOL:) I will just have to be more mindful this time around. Last October, I started my weight loss journey and am down 57 pounds. I am a few pounds away from the goal weight I was given, but I want to take off more, just for my own personal goal, and health reasons. I enjoy my weights, but cardio? Not so much...I grin and bear it with the cardio. I stay consistent through the week; but last weekend? I could eat the leg off a table, that is how ravenous I was feeling. Now I have a new week ahead and hoping to take off the 1.4, plus a little extra to be back to where I was:) The little gain is like 2 backwards steps in the cha-cha:)

spradish
09-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Congrats on the 57 lbs lost. Sounds like your weigh-in was fine, no reason to worry. By no means do I think you need to be on the straight and narrow, diet-wise, all the time. I'd say that most anybody here would tell you that the big picture is what counts, not a day or two here or there, or even a week (e.g., vacation)here and there. Anecdotally, I found that my body seemed to retain more water as I got leaner when I had some sort of carb/sodium fest than it ever did when I was heavier. My guess is that it is due to eating less overall on average so the difference between a normal day and a big day of eating was just that much bigger than it was before. It has certainly made me more judicious in my decision making about whether or not to have a splurge.

fluffysquirrel
09-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Spradish, thank you for your kind words:) I am hypothyroid, so weight gain seems easier for me than weight loss:) I feel like I have to be extra mindful, but that can get monotonous, and I can be rebellious!!:) I did better this weekend;) Didn't indulge nearly as much as I did last weekend. I have been told that the leaner one gets, or the closer one gets to goal, it's harder to attain, and easier to retain. So, even if I had a cheeseburger and a Coke, 2 of my favorites, to someone else, that could be a snack, and they won't gain much water from it. Me? I can gain a lot. I drink over a gallon of water a day, sometimes more, this has been beneficial to me. And you hit the nail on the head; it definitely makes one more judicious about splurging:) I put the yellow "advance with caution lights" on this weekend, but still had my pizza and Cola--no sides like last week. Didn't reach for the bag of oreos, etc...So I am hoping Friday is a good weigh-in:)

AutistTrigger
09-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Go keto, loose the weight, and exercise

fluffysquirrel
09-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Go keto, loose the weight, and exercise
Tried that; it worked, but short term. I have been on Weight Watchers, and can enjoy my carbs. If want fruit, I can have it. When I went Keto, it was great for about 8 months, then I wanted an orange with my breakfast. I craved strawberries and grapes for a snack, etc. I exercise 6 days a week, and on day 7 is active recovery. I'm not good with giving up certain food groups:/ At least I can say I gave it the ol' college try:)

gailh
09-25-2017, 07:10 AM
nothing to worry about. as has been said, excessive carbs and sodium is a recipe for water retention and weight gain.

fluffysquirrel
09-25-2017, 12:12 PM
nothing to worry about. as has been said, excessive carbs and sodium is a recipe for water retention and weight gain. Thank you:) I am hoping that come Friday, I will have lost that 1.4, and a little more. Minding the sodium and dialing it back on the carbs. Keeping the water intake at a decent amount. I have this fear of what if I keep gaining again? I know it's ridiculous, but when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, that's what was happening previous to it. I want to keep heading in the right direction.