PDA

View Full Version : Very low calorie diet and its effects on the body.

propret
09-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Have any of you tried eating a very low calorie diet? If so, what should one look out for?

This probably among the silliest posts in this section right now, and I know most of you will strongly suggest against it. Nevertheless, I'm sick and I've been unable to eat for a few days now, all of my calories came from a little bottle of Orange Juice that's under 300 calories. I've been avoiding going to the gym, as I've been told it could be dangerous (!?) What should one do in this situation that won't last longer than, let's say 2 weeks. I'm around 22% bodyfat right now, so losing some fat isn't something I'm afraid of.

I know it's a terribly worded question, and I apologize for that. In conclusion, I'm interested in the effects this will have on me, and if there's a 'proper' way to do it.

Thanks.

DemonCleaner101
09-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Hydrate a lot and make sure you're getting enough salt.

Your body when sick is not the same as when its healthy, and comparing the effects of one vs the other doesnt match up. A severely suppressed appetite is not unusual with severe sickness.

How are you predicting a 2 week sickness? Two weeks of not being able to eat or function means a trip to the ER, not body image goals.

propret
09-19-2017, 10:01 AM
So, a lot of water and enough salt. I'm guessing salty water would not be a bad idea?

Sorry for being unclear, I brought two weeks as an extreme example as in "If this lasted for more than two weeks I'll be dead, so I'm not looking for a long-term low-calorie diet exercise" if that makes sense. Unfortunately this case is a combination of both psychological and physical issue. Right now, the idea of eating alone makes me want to throw up.

Hydrate a lot and make sure you're getting enough salt.

Your body when sick is not the same as when its healthy, and comparing the effects of one vs the other doesnt match up. A severely suppressed appetite is not unusual with severe sickness.

How are you predicting a 2 week sickness? Two weeks of not being able to eat or function means a trip to the ER, not body image goals.

DemonCleaner101
09-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Alright, well in that case you need to seek a medical professional.

To answer the salt question, a pinch of sea salt is enough.

Mrpb
09-19-2017, 10:29 AM
you need to seek a medical professional.

This ^^^^.

propret
09-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Alright, well in that case you need to seek a medical professional.

To answer the salt question, a pinch of sea salt is enough.

I'll definitely try to consult a doctor soon. And for now I'll hope that a pinch of sea salt will do. Thank you.

R4z0rEdge
09-19-2017, 01:27 PM
If you're sick, eat what you can keep down and try to concentrate on quality whole foods as they have good micronutrition in addition to calories. Get plenty of water and extra sleep to speed recovery.

As the lads in the forum have already suggested, definitely go see the doc if you don't recover within a few days.

ErikTheElectric
09-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Check this out OP:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1347.full.pdf+html