PDA

View Full Version : What's your experience with weight gain plateau?

SkinnyMark
09-13-2017, 05:46 AM
Hello everyone,

I think that this may be my first inquisitive post. I've often visitied the board, but never felt the need to seek advice, but after enough reading, I've found myself with a legitimate question.

A little background on me: I am naturally a hardgainer and at 6'4, I started off at 165 lbs. If memory serves me right, I experimented with diet and what workout work best for me to gain about 70 lbs in ~1 year. Since, my wife and I have had a child and the workout regiment took a backseat. Though my workouts and nutrition hasn't been consistent, I have been able to get stronger and maintain my muscle mass. Now that he is three, we have found time and a schedule to have regular workouts 5-6 days a week.

I am now looking to bulk again and have the short term goal of 260 lbs. Everything that I read says that a plateau is inevitable. For those that have reached these plateaus, how did you attack them? I consume 5000 calories a day and am not overly concerned about carrying a SOME extra fat. Does muscularity stop and those cals just turn to fat?

I haven't reached that point yet, but I would like to understand it as best I can before I get there. Thanks to all!

chamelious
09-13-2017, 06:00 AM
IMO an arbitrary scale weight goal is pointless.

Aim to gain around 1-2lbs of scale weight a month and make as much progress in the gym as possible. You're defo underweight, but if you reach 260lbs anytime soon you'll be carrying more than a little extra fat.

SkinnyMark
09-13-2017, 06:08 AM
Thanks, but I'm not interested in opinions about my goal: Just interested in experiences with plateaus in gaining weight.

chamelious
09-13-2017, 06:10 AM
Thanks, but I'm not interested in opinions about my goal: Just interested in experiences with plateaus in gaining weight.

I'm not really sure what you're expecting to hear.

If you want to gain weight and you're not, consume more calories. If you want to gain weight even faster, consume even more calories.

SubWooferCooker
09-13-2017, 06:15 AM
I'm not really sure what you're expecting to hear.

If you want to gain weight and you're not, consume more calories. If you want to gain weight even faster, consume even more calories.

This ^^ There really are no further questions or answers to be given, if you are not gaining weight you have to eat more, there is NOTHING else you can do.

SkinnyMark
09-13-2017, 06:18 AM
I want to hear whether people have struggled to gain muscle at some point and if/how they overcame it.

chamelious
09-13-2017, 06:24 AM
I want to hear whether people have struggled to gain muscle at some point and if/how they overcame it.

Thats not really what you asked.

Weight gain does NOT equal muscle gain. Which is exactly why i advised you limit your rate of weight gain.

Gaining muscle is always hard. And always slow. Everyone struggles with it. Its much more about your training routine and intensity than anything else.

Adding unnecessary fat WILL make gaining muscle even harder.

The advice/solution is always the same. Follow a good strength routine, and attack it with sufficient intensity. Get stronger over time. Eat a sensible diet, get enough protein, get enough fibre, etc etc etc.

ironwill2008
09-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Hello everyone,

I think that this may be my first inquisitive post. I've often visitied the board, but never felt the need to seek advice, but after enough reading, I've found myself with a legitimate question.

A little background on me: I am naturally a hardgainer and at 6'4, I started off at 165 lbs. If memory serves me right, I experimented with diet and what workout work best for me to gain about 70 lbs in ~1 year. Since, my wife and I have had a child and the workout regiment took a backseat. Though my workouts and nutrition hasn't been consistent, I have been able to get stronger and maintain my muscle mass. Now that he is three, we have found time and a schedule to have regular workouts 5-6 days a week.

I am now looking to bulk again and have the short term goal of 260 lbs. Everything that I read says that a plateau is inevitable. For those that have reached these plateaus, how did you attack them? I consume 5000 calories a day and am not overly concerned about carrying a SOME extra fat. Does muscularity stop and those cals just turn to fat?

I haven't reached that point yet, but I would like to understand it as best I can before I get there. Thanks to all!

Yes, everyone has a genetic ceiling of how much muscle mass they will be able to add without 'assistance.' Of course, once that point is reached, it's still possible to continue to add "weight" simply by continuing to eat at a calorie surplus.

It's up to the individual to determine, by use of the mirror, body weight, the fit of his clothes, and the numbers in his training log if he thinks the additional weight he's adding is muscle or just more fat.

I don't often like to use myself as an example, but I started training at 130 pounds of skin and bones. After about 11 years of eating everything in sight and busting my tail under the bar, I managed to reach 200 pounds at about 11-12% body fat. In those years, time and time again I'd reach a certain weight and I'd stall, sometimes for a couple of months. I'd continue to weigh/measure/track all my foods, and continue to stuff my pie hole with food. Eventually, I'd see a couple of pounds of weight gain, until I'd stall again. At which point, I'd continue to eat, train, and rest. There's no magic formula, or any kind of trick diet or training program; it always comes down to the same thing---eating at a calorie surplus comprised of adequate macros and micros, training consistently hard and heavy with mostly compound lifts, and getting as much sleep and rest as possible.