PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Fasting - Protein in the belly ....

CAOPPM
09-07-2017, 12:43 PM
So i am an intermittent faster, and i am doing a 22/2 or 20/4 schedule.... i do get my macros everyday and know how that you can only digest so much protein over a given amount of time.

My question is ... provided i still have all of my meals in my belly is all of the protein ive eaten still able to be digested as protein for muscles or by consuming too much in a single meal am i wasting it?

i am not sure if i have phrased this question clearly enough though

gbullock32
09-07-2017, 12:48 PM
You are fine doing that, but it is not optimal is all. No you are not 'wasting' it.

Mrpb
09-07-2017, 12:53 PM
If you have all your protein in one meal it means a large part of the protein will be burned off and used for urea production. This is not optimal.

If you want to do IF if would be much better to have 3 or 4 protein meals (or shakes or snacks) in 8 hours, then fast 16 hours.

CAOPPM
09-07-2017, 01:31 PM
^^ Thanks, my primary concern is not losing mass or strength.. i dont imagine my schedule will allow much muscle building but trying to get to a single digit BF % atm

Sounds like i should avoid high fibre food for now and maybe even overshoot my protein macros to account for urea production

dipatel13
09-07-2017, 02:05 PM
^^ Thanks, my primary concern is not losing mass or strength.. i dont imagine my schedule will allow much muscle building but trying to get to a single digit BF % atm

Sounds like i should avoid high fibre food for now and maybe even overshoot my protein macros to account for urea production

why single digits? Do you have a competition or something coming up? It's not a good idea to try and maintain bf% that low.

CAOPPM
09-07-2017, 02:24 PM
why single digits? Do you have a competition or something coming up? It's not a good idea to try and maintain bf% that low.

Short term thing, need to get to 4-5% for a very short time to get my facial definition cut (baby fat)... expect to maintain around 10-12 normally and extending IF to a 18/6 over the longterm

rhadam
09-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Short term thing, need to get to 4-5% for a very short time to get my facial definition cut (baby fat)... expect to maintain around 10-12 normally and extending IF to a 18/6 over the longterm

lol good luck with that

chemo29
09-07-2017, 02:33 PM

facial definition is mostly genetic...
I'm 20%bf but you can see veins in my forehead and my masseters through my skin

R4z0rEdge
09-07-2017, 02:40 PM
I would seriously re-evaluate your goals and routine.

One, getting to 4-5% is incredibly hard. Two, dieting like that seems massively unsustainable and likely to blow up down the line.

Fast, sure, but use a 6-8 hour window. This will be better for your gains and your sanity.

CAOPPM
09-07-2017, 02:45 PM
I would seriously re-evaluate your goals and routine.

One, getting to 4-5% is incredibly hard. Two, dieting like that seems massively unsustainable and likely to blow up down the line.

Fast, sure, but use a 6-8 hour window. This will be better for your gains and your sanity.

For the first month of IF i was doing 23/1's ... that was hard even doing 3 BCAA drinks a day.... when i do 20/4's it is easy as hell and i almost feel like i ate too much with a 1000 cal deficit to my TDEE, very sustainable for me anyways

gbullock32
09-07-2017, 10:49 PM
For the first month of IF i was doing 23/1's ... that was hard even doing 3 BCAA drinks a day.... when i do 20/4's it is easy as hell and i almost feel like i ate too much with a 1000 cal deficit to my TDEE, very sustainable for me anywaysTop tier pros do not even go to 4%. You will not do it. Also, BCAAs have calories and technically break the fast, not that it matters.

Mrpb
09-07-2017, 11:21 PM

Then you should NOT eat 1 meal per day.

Or keep eating 1 meal per day and have EAAs or protein shakes during the rest of the day. BCAAs are useless, EAAs can fully stimulate MPS.

No that's a horrible idea. Actually fiber helps slow down digestion.

CAOPPM
09-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Then you should NOT eat 1 meal per day.

Or keep eating 1 meal per day and have EAAs or protein shakes during the rest of the day. BCAAs are useless, EAAs can fully stimulate MPS.

No that's a horrible idea. Actually fiber helps slow down digestion.

ISO more info on this, if fibre slows digestion and protein can still be broken down while digesting why consume a lot of fibre just to crap it out sooner than necessary?

Mrpb
09-08-2017, 09:52 AM
ISO more info on this, if fibre slows digestion and protein can still be broken down while digesting why consume a lot of fibre just to crap it out sooner than necessary?

Fiber has many health benefits. And slowing down digestion is a good thing.

"Fiber not only promotes gut health, but also helps reduce the risk of developing many chronic diseases. For instance, fiber prevents constipation, hemorrhoids and diverticulosis. A high-fiber diet is also linked to lower risk of developing some cancers, especially colon and breast cancer. In addition, it helps lower LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol. Furthermore, high-fiber foods generally have a lower glycemic index value, an important element in managing Type 2 diabetes."

CAOPPM
09-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Fiber has many health benefits. And slowing down digestion is a good thing.

"Fiber not only promotes gut health, but also helps reduce the risk of developing many chronic diseases. For instance, fiber prevents constipation, hemorrhoids and diverticulosis. A high-fiber diet is also linked to lower risk of developing some cancers, especially colon and breast cancer. In addition, it helps lower LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol. Furthermore, high-fiber foods generally have a lower glycemic index value, an important element in managing Type 2 diabetes."

I don't believe you answered the question i asked.... i am asking which method is best for long term protein absorption

TheGymJim
09-08-2017, 10:52 AM
I would input something useful but you'll just ignore it, like you have everyone else on this thread, and carry on with your unhealthy way of chasing your unattainable goal.

Instead I'll simply award you "The Worst Thread of The Day" award and wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

Mrpb
09-08-2017, 10:55 AM
I don't believe you answered the question i asked.... i am asking which method is best for long term protein absorption

I feel I exactly answered your question in post #13.

I recommend you head over to leangains.com and look at the IF schedules posted there. That would be a much better way of running IF.

CAOPPM
09-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Top tier pros do not even go to 4%. You will not do it. Also, BCAAs have calories and technically break the fast, not that it matters.

BCAA's do not break the fast if they are 10 calories or less, i expected more actual info on this forum than all this bro science :(

gbullock32
09-08-2017, 12:26 PM
BCAA's do not break the fast if they are 10 calories or less, i expected more actual info on this forum than all this bro science :(The average BCAA supp has at least 5g of BCAAs, which would be ~25 calories; so either you are breaking the fast, or you are taking so little that it has no impact at all.

CAOPPM
09-08-2017, 12:29 PM
The average BCAA supp has at least 5g of BCAAs, which would be ~25 calories; so either you are breaking the fast, or you are taking so little that it has no impact at all.

Allmax aminocore, 10.5g BCAA's, Calories 5

you were saying?

gbullock32
09-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Allmax aminocore, 10.5g BCAA's, Calories 5

you were saying?Common sense, you lack it.

FDA rules that since BCAAs are not a 'complete' protein, they do not need to be listed on the calorie count, so that calorie count on the label does not account for the BCAAs themselves and only the sweeteners they use.

10.5g of BCAA will be ~50 calories.

Your move.

CAOPPM
09-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Common sense, you lack it.

FDA rules that since BCAAs are not a 'complete' protein, they do not need to be listed on the calorie count, so that calorie count on the label does not account for the BCAAs themselves and only the sweeteners they use.

10.5g of BCAA will be ~50 calories.

Your move.

THREAD: 6147411

no insulin response to BCAA's according to a BCAA manufacturer and presented at a public conference... Your move..

gbullock32
09-08-2017, 12:42 PM
THREAD: 6147411

no insulin response to BCAA's according to a BCAA manufacturer and presented at a public conference... Your move..Because the people selling the product to you are a great source of info-

It does effect insulin, not blood sugar though, interestingly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21512300
https://www.paleohacks.com/fat/bcaa-raise-insulin-won-t-this-shut-down-fat-burning-21987

CAOPPM
09-08-2017, 12:44 PM
call me crazy but i will believe the companies doing actual research over broscience, even if they are selling it

gbullock32
09-08-2017, 12:46 PM
call me crazy but i will believe the companies doing actual research over broscience, even if they are selling itUh, that first article was on an actual study by non-biased people.... that's not bro-science there guy.

CAOPPM
09-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Uh, that first article was on an actual study by non-biased people.... that's not bro-science there guy.

first one was an actual study and nowhere did i see a raise in insulin specifically (the main reason for IF)

the second article is broscience to a T

gbullock32
09-08-2017, 12:50 PM
first one was an actual study and nowhere did i see a raise in insulin specifically (the main reason for IF)

the second article is broscience to a TThe second article restates some of the first, and from the first 'The ingestion of BCAAs temporarily increased plasma insulin levels and affected plasma concentrations of FFAs, but had almost no effect on glucose or urea nitrogen.'

So yeah, insulin respone.

It is obvious you are denser than lead though, so best of luck with whatever the hell it is you're trying to do, I have to leave for work.

CAOPPM
09-08-2017, 12:57 PM
The second article restates some of the first, and from the first 'The ingestion of BCAAs temporarily increased plasma insulin levels and affected plasma concentrations of FFAs, but had almost no effect on glucose or urea nitrogen.'

So yeah, insulin respone.

It is obvious you are denser than lead though, so best of luck with whatever the hell it is you're trying to do, I have to leave for work.

another situation of people reading what they want.... Serum-insulin is considerably different than plasma-insulin

rml27v
09-08-2017, 02:04 PM

uhm... Insulin does not matter... calories do.

Mrpb
09-09-2017, 12:19 AM
BCAA's do not break the fast if they are 10 calories or less, i expected more actual info on this forum than all this bro science :(

BCAAs contain calories. What's worse: they barely do anything useful.

You probably hope they're stimulating MPS or suppress MPB but the dosage you're taking is not able to do either significantly.

If you want to take something that has effect: 10 gram EAAs. Yes still some calories but at least they do something useful.

And if they break the fast, so what? What awful thing do you think will happen?

Insulin does not need to be low for fat loss.