PDA

View Full Version : Canned Beans weighing with liquid vs without

nickail
08-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Another canned beans thread, total calories with liquid included vs drained, I know. I looked this question up and could not find a solid answer, although I found many in the same confusion. My hypothesis is a bit different than what others have thought.

My Idea is that the liquid is included when weighing canned beans, and to go by what the actual can states. If 130g of canned beans with liquid included = 90 calories, and there is 3 servings in 1 container, this should equal 390g with 270 calories in a perfect world with all of the contents from the can weighed. When I weighed it with the beans and liquid, it came out to be 415g. As a result, the calories is a bit more than what the can states, being 287 calories (415g x 90calories / 130g = 287 calories ).

I’ve seen people saying that it is 270 calories, regardless of what the weight ends up being, but I think that may be wrong. Let me know your thoughts and opinions on this.

AdamWW
08-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Best idea is to look at the total weight listed on the front of the can (not the 'about 3.5 servings' from the back label), then divide by the number of grams per serving listed on the back label... that will give you can accurate calorie number per serving/gram/etc.

I mean are you asking because you can't strain them? Otherwise, just do the math step by step...

nickail
08-23-2017, 11:33 AM
The only problem is the net weight listed on the front on the can can be incorrect when the contents are actually weighed out. Just looking to see if my method is an accurate way of measuring as I eat canned beans consistently.

burnetet
08-23-2017, 12:14 PM
as long as you stay consistent with your measuring it shouldn't matter.

JackMan017
08-23-2017, 12:46 PM
My opinion is I use 350 with my S&W can of black beans. 270, 350, we're splittin' hairs here. Drain it, eat it, pick the number you're most comfortable with and be consistent with it's tracking.

AdamWW
08-23-2017, 02:37 PM
The only problem is the net weight listed on the front on the can can be incorrect when the contents are actually weighed out. Just looking to see if my method is an accurate way of measuring as I eat canned beans consistently.

The weight on the front of can is WITH water... it should be very accurate

Heisman2
08-23-2017, 03:59 PM
My overall thought is that 17 kcal per 1 serving is not a significant enough difference to matter in the long run in your fitness goals unless you are consuming many servings of beans daily.

nickail
08-23-2017, 06:30 PM
I appreciate the responses - I think that there is no 100% accurate method, and the key is to be consistent with whatever method you choose. Thanks.