PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Fasting/One Meal A Day & Insulin Spikes

omad17
08-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Hey guys - long time lurker first time poster here.

I have a question regarding intermittent fasting/insulin/fat storage etc.

I'm wondering if anyone here follows a "one meal a day" diet. If so, I'm wondering about the health benefits. What happens if you were to eat one big healthy meal at night, followed by eating the rest of your calories as dessert in ****tier food - ice cream, crackers & nutella, chocolate, etc? I know that as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. BUT, will this massive spike all at once in insulin cause fat storage? So that even if you are indeed losing weight due to the deficit, you're still gaining fat thus resulting in a worse off body composition/appearance? I just don't know if the size of the insulin spike matters when it comes to fat storage, or if since there is a deficit it doesn't because the body will burn it off for energy anyways? Help a newbie intermittent faster out!

Thoughts?

Mikeez0
08-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Absolutely hate and against fasting.
I can't start my day until I eat my breakfast.
If you want to 'fast, try 3 meals a day without snacks, then 2.

Anyway eating 3-4 protein rich meals a day would be better for muscle protein synthesis and overall bodycomposition.

Budjola
08-22-2017, 08:26 AM
fasting is easy once when your body adapts to it, same like keto, once when you adapt you are ok. is it optimal, most probably not, does it matter again most probably not. ppl tend to do it because its flexible and you can easily work around.

Brozef
08-22-2017, 08:57 AM

I'm wondering if anyone here follows a "one meal a day" diet. If so, I'm wondering about the health benefits. What happens if you were to eat one big healthy meal at night, followed by eating the rest of your calories as dessert in ****tier food - ice cream, crackers & nutella, chocolate, etc? I know that as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. BUT, will this massive spike all at once in insulin cause fat storage? So that even if you are indeed losing weight due to the deficit, you're still gaining fat thus resulting in a worse off body composition/appearance? I just don't know if the size of the insulin spike matters when it comes to fat storage, or if since there is a deficit it doesn't because the body will burn it off for energy anyways? Help a newbie intermittent faster out!

Thoughts?

Eating a large amount of food, well balanced or otherwise, will likely cause a large insulin release.

Such is life when getting all of your calories in a short period. If this bothers you, consider eating in a more conventional manner.

AdamWW
08-22-2017, 09:00 AM
fasting is easy FOR SOME when THEIR body adapts to it, same like keto, once when THEY adapt THEY are ok. is it optimal, most probably not, does it matter again most probably not. ppl tend to do it because its flexible and you can easily work around.

Fixed

Brozef
08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
fasting is easy once when your body adapts to it, same like keto, once when you adapt you are ok. is it optimal, most probably not, does it matter again most probably not. ppl tend to do it because its flexible and you can easily work around.

It's the people who talk about IF like it's the GOAT for getting lean and making gains that are annoying to some of us. We understand the flexibility and the apparently easier accountability for some people.

PhantomLancer
08-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Don't look at nutrition in the short term. It's the long term that's important. It doesn't matter worth a darn how much fat is stored from one meal.

It's fat synthesis minus fat oxidation that determines whether you gain or lose bodyfat. Looking at only side of the equation is missing half the picture. If you focus only on the fat stored, you're missing the whole other half.

You're only concerned about the NET fat gain/loss at the end of the day. What matters is 24-hour fat balance, which is fat synthesis minus fat oxidation. Those are the 2 sides to the equation, and it is regulated by calories in vs. calories out.

bcradio
08-22-2017, 10:25 AM
What happens if you were to eat one big healthy meal at night, followed by eating the rest of your calories as dessert in ****tier food - ice cream, crackers & nutella, chocolate, etc?

Nothing other than you are hungry all day and overly stuffed at night.

I know that as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. BUT, will this massive spike all at once in insulin cause fat storage?

It will cause fat storage if you eat more calories than you burn.

So that even if you are indeed losing weight due to the deficit, you're still gaining fat thus resulting in a worse off body composition/appearance?

Negative

I just don't know if the size of the insulin spike matters when it comes to fat storage, or if since there is a deficit it doesn't because the body will burn it off for energy anyways?

It doesn't matter

rhadam
08-22-2017, 11:22 AM

Thoughts?

Only an idiot would do IF and have only 1 meal then a bunch of calories used for sweets.

This question is idiotic and worse than mental masturbation.

SeanFxxx
08-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Only an idiot would do IF and have only 1 meal then a bunch of calories used for sweets.

This question is idiotic and worse than mental masturbation.

You know it happens though. Same as people hoarding their fat and carb macros until the evening to gorge on sweets. Flexible dieting gone wrong.

AdamWW
08-22-2017, 02:26 PM
I feel like both IIFYM and IF have become nothing more than marketing terms, like 'SuperFood'. Such simple concepts and yet people obsess over 'doing' them or 'following them' because they wanna be in some kind of club, when in reality it's the most basic shyt....

IIFYM = Eat to a target fat, carb, and protein goal (Bonus points if you don't eat like an idiot)

IF = Skipping breakfast/waiting longer to eat

How we end up with so many threads dedicated to either is beyond me....

TheGymJim
08-22-2017, 03:29 PM
I pretty much "accidentally" do IF simply because I'm often not hungry in the morning and I like to have a big dinner lol

Budjola
08-23-2017, 01:03 AM
It's the people who talk about IF like it's the GOAT for getting lean and making gains that are annoying to some of us. We understand the flexibility and the apparently easier accountability for some people.

im not preaching IF nor im try to praise it as best diet. there is no best diet imo. if something works for you it works, weather its keto, vegan, paleo, atkins, brozef whatever. i actually hate term diet.