PDA

View Full Version : Oats, question on raw vs cooked etc.

mfphenom
08-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Ok... so I have began my journey of getting back in shape and taking control of my life again. I have planned out my diet I have my macros and calories exactly where I want them for my current goals. My big question is about oatmeal. I am using Bob's Red Mill organic quick cooking steel cut oats. The problem is the only way I have ever been able to pallet oats is the way my parents made them as a child and that was with a **** ton of brown sugar. I have tried everything imaginable and I just cannot get past the taste or texture of them.

One of the big parts of my diet is I am trying to cut out almost all sugars especially refined and adding blueberries just doesn't do it for me nor does anything else. I could however just toss the serving size in my mouth raw and down it with some water without any issues. I am just curious what would change nutritionally and all that fancy stuff if I were to do this. I want all the benefits of the oats as they are my main source of carbohydrates currently and also I know they have a lot of health benefits.

Any knowledgeable help on the issue will be greatly appreciated. Please only comment about the raw end of them there is no recipe in the world that will make me want to eat them within my current goals and allowances, trust me I have tried everything.

TheGymJim
08-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Ok... so I have began my journey of getting back in shape and taking control of my life again. I have planned out my diet I have my macros and calories exactly where I want them for my current goals. My big question is about oatmeal. I am using Bob's Red Mill organic quick cooking steel cut oats. The problem is the only way I have ever been able to pallet oats is the way my parents made them as a child and that was with a **** ton of brown sugar. I have tried everything imaginable and I just cannot get past the taste or texture of them.

One of the big parts of my diet is I am trying to cut out almost all sugars especially refined and adding blueberries just doesn't do it for me nor does anything else. I could however just toss the serving size in my mouth raw and down it with some water without any issues. I am just curious what would change nutritionally and all that fancy stuff if I were to do this. I want all the benefits of the oats as they are my main source of carbohydrates currently and also I know they have a lot of health benefits.

Any knowledgeable help on the issue will be greatly appreciated. Please only comment about the raw end of them there is no recipe in the world that will make me want to eat them within my current goals and allowances, trust me I have tried everything.

If you hate eating something, eat something else.

For example:

Peanut butter is an excellent thing to eat to add calories and decent fats into one's diet. Loads and loads and loads of people on this forum and elsewhere would recommend eating it. However, I don't eat peanut butter, because I hate it. So I get those macros elsewhere.

If you can't stand oats, then don't eat them and get those macros elsewhere. Pretty simple. Don't force yourself to eat something you hate, it isn't sustainable. And if you can't sustain doing something for a long time, you're not gonna stick to it.

If it's just the texture you hate, just get powdered oats and chuck them in with your protein shake.

dipatel13
08-18-2017, 12:22 PM
If you don't like oats, don't eat them. Eat something else instead. You don't need to be so strict on your macros. As long as you are hitting your minimum macros, you can have some flexibility with the remaining, provided you're still getting a variety of micronutrients and fiber.