PDA

View Full Version : Just how much cardio ?

Shadowman82
08-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Just how much cardio can you do to loose fat but not loose muscle ?

I do allot of low intensity cardio at work . I lift things , walk , stand all day , scrub stuff etc .

Can too much low intensity cardio also cause muscle loss if you do allot of it or is that more of a problem with too much high intensity cardio .

dipatel13
08-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Depends on how many calories you're eating. If you do too much cardio or don't eat enough and end up in too large of a calorie deficit, then you increase the chance of losing muscle.

R4z0rEdge
08-15-2017, 04:53 PM
Let's straighten a few things up:

Cardio (barring extreme extended training regimes, such as those used by triathletes) does not cause muscle loss. This is the case with both low and high intensity cardio.

I'd recommend 2-3 cardio sessions per week, the type doesn't matter. This is for your general health, although it does have the benefit of burning a few extra calories you wouldn't otherwise.

From there, to lose fat whilst maintaining maximum muscle, your best bet is to create a small calorie deficit and use a solid resistance training regime. For the deficit, visit the nutrition forum stickies. For the regime, visit the workout forum.

Shadowman82
08-16-2017, 04:17 PM
"Cardio (barring extreme extended training regimes, such as those used by triathletes) does not cause muscle loss. This is the case with both low and high intensity cardio."

I guess I was thinking of like people who run marathons who are quite thin looking . But yeah most of us will never do that much cardio .

Thorsten2
08-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Not to muddy the water further, but the purpose of cardio is to improve cardiovascular fitness, not to burn fat. Improving cardiovascular fitness is a worthy goal in and of itself, but it is a goal discrete and separate from losing fat. It's entirely possible to do an hour of cardio a day for a year and remain fat. Just look at half of the people in any gym! It's also possible to lose weight without doing cardio at all. Lots of people (like me) lose significant amounts of weight without ever doing cardio. People get confused because cardio is complementary with weight loss insofar at it increases your daily energy expenditure, but it doesn't take much extra food to cancel out the benefit. In fat loss, diet is 80% of the battle. If you enjoy cardio, by all means do it, but it isn't a prerequisite to fat loss.

The key point is that it's necessary to figure out your daily energy expenditure using a BMR calculator, and then carefully track your calories to make sure you're at an appropriate caloric deficit. Track your weight, and measure your waist and hips. If you're at an appropriate caloric deficit, they'll go down. If you're weight isn't going down, but your waist and hips are measurements are shrinking, ignore the scale. Water retention and muscle gain make the scale somewhat unreliable as an indicator of fat loss in the short term. If none of the three are going down, drop your calories more and monitor. Rinse, and repeat.

With respect to muscle loss from cardio, I think the other gents above are spot on. A few hours a week is not going to cause muscle loss regardless of the intensity.

Pedrolopesg
08-16-2017, 05:17 PM
I would go on a different direction and not reccomend any cardio. Since yous ay you have a very active job, just get on a weightlifting routine 3x a week and aim at a caloric deficit (around 20%). See where that takes you, introduce cardio when you reach a plateau.

philgriffiths
08-17-2017, 02:46 AM
I would go on a different direction and not reccomend any cardio. Since yous ay you have a very active job, just get on a weightlifting routine 3x a week and aim at a caloric deficit (around 20%). See where that takes you, introduce cardio when you reach a plateau.

I quote his very active job:
"walk , stand all day , scrub stuff etc "

Yes, he could do with some real cardio in his life

Shadowman82
08-17-2017, 04:17 PM
"Yes, he could do with some real cardio in his life"

lol yes my job isn't one that makes my heart race but it's nonetheless a physical job compared to let's say someone who works in an office or someone who works in a clothing store etc.