PDA

View Full Version : Lose Weight or Continue Bulking?

azhanger
08-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Throughout my high school career, I have participated in Football and Track & Field (Sprinting). For three days a week after practice, we would go to the weight room and lift. The only problem was that I was unmotivated when it came to lifting because I would be too tired after practice either doing drills or running countless sprints on the track. Since I will be attending college this upcoming fall, I plan on spending more time at the gym and taking it more seriously. After watching many videos on the fitness industry such as David Laid and Connor Murphy, I've obtained an immense passion for bodybuilding. Right now I have to decide on two things: should I lose weight or continue bulking? I'm currently on Jason Blaha's ICF 5x5 novice program for a week now and the picture below is where I am at. I apologize for not having a '"before" picture due to the fact that I don't like taking pictures of myself and am extremely awkward about it.

Stats:
Height - 5'8
Weight - 160 pounds or 72.57 kilograms

Junsuiakai
08-04-2017, 03:23 AM
In for bulk, you could lose another 10-15lb but your core isn't very developed yet so don't know what good it would serve..

azhanger
08-04-2017, 05:03 AM
In for bulk, you could lose another 10-15lb but your core isn't very developed yet so don't know what good it would serve..

Do you think I should consider adding more ab workouts and cardio to the program? Jason Blaha's ICF 5x5 only calls for cable crunches.

ICF Workout A:

Squat - 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Bent Over Row - 5x5
Barbell Shrugs - 3x8
Tricep Extensions - 3x8
Straight Bar or Incline Curls - 3x8
Hyperextensions with plate - 2x10
Cable Crunches - 3x10

ICF Workout B:

Squats - 5x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Standing Press - 5x5
Bent Over Row (10% lighter than Workout A) - 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press - 3x8
Cable Crunches - 3x10

Thank you for your response.

Junsuiakai
08-04-2017, 05:58 AM
Do you think I should consider adding more ab workouts and cardio to the program? Jason Blaha's ICF 5x5 only calls for cable crunches.

ICF Workout A:

Squat - 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Bent Over Row - 5x5
Barbell Shrugs - 3x8
Tricep Extensions - 3x8
Hyperextensions with plate - 2x10
Cable Crunches - 3x10

ICF Workout B:

Squats - 5x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Standing Press - 5x5
Bent Over Row (10% lighter than Workout A) - 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press - 3x8
Cable Crunches - 3x10

Thank you for your response.

Jason Blaha, yuck.... get on fierce 5 or one of the proven programs on this site.

Also I've found that core development really only happens when you start deadlifting/squating really heavy on top of isolation work. I do very little ab work anymore, just oblique work.

but if you are adamant about jason blowhole's program then, don't add anything, just do it as he says to do it.

That guy seriously has the worst genetics, bald, mother birthing hips, and a "ferocious appetite"

azhanger
08-04-2017, 06:22 AM
Jason Blaha, yuck.... get on fierce 5 or one of the proven programs on this site.

Also I've found that core development really only happens when you start deadlifting/squating really heavy on top of isolation work. I do very little ab work anymore, just oblique work.

but if you are adamant about jason blowhole's program then, don't add anything, just do it as he says to do it.

That guy seriously has the worst genetics, bald, mother birthing hips, and a "ferocious appetite"

Do you dislike the program based on the routine itself or the fact that Jason Blaha was the one who created it? I have done tons of research online and people seem to have made plenty of gains.

azhanger
08-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Bump.

EhCanadianDude
08-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Throughout my high school career, I have participated in Football and Track & Field (Sprinting). For three days a week after practice, we would go to the weight room and lift. The only problem was that I was unmotivated when it came to lifting because I would be too tired after practice either doing drills or running countless sprints on the track. Since I will be attending college this upcoming fall, I plan on spending more time at the gym and taking it more seriously. After watching many videos on the fitness industry such as David Laid and Connor Murphy, I've obtained an immense passion for bodybuilding. Right now I have to decide on two things: should I lose weight or continue bulking? I'm currently on Jason Blaha's ICF 5x5 novice program for a week now and the picture below is where I am at. I apologize for not having a '"before" picture due to the fact that I don't like taking pictures of myself and am extremely awkward about it.

Stats:
Height - 5'8
Weight - 160 pounds or 72.57 kilograms

Hey dude. Honestly I recommend you check out the alpha destiny novice program. Alpha destiny is pretty underrated on youtube, but the dude really knows his stuff and has been making videos for years. I hopped on his program this January and went from a 135 bench to a 200 bench, a 150 squat to a 240 squat, 210 deadlift to 300 deadlift. 90 ohp to 120ohp. and I've had many setbacks and injuries during the past few months and still making progress.

Though I bulked from 170 to 200 ( really stupid of me, cutting rn ) I think its up to you whether you prefer to bulk or not. Honestly if you bulk you're gonna be making quicker gains, but if you cut you'll stay lean and you can still make strength gains on this program while cutting indeed. Tens of thousands of people have had success on his program. And at the end of a year or year and a half you should be benching 225, deadlifting 405, and squatting 315. Might be lower or higher depending on ur genetics.

I'm only talking from personal experience, but this program is full body workouts 3 times a week so you can focus on school more. You can even do the program 2 times a week and make hella gains.

Wont let me send the link to his program but look it up if you wish. you will find it ez. good luck

azhanger
08-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Hey dude. Honestly I recommend you check out the alpha destiny novice program. Alpha destiny is pretty underrated on youtube, but the dude really knows his stuff and has been making videos for years. I hopped on his program this January and went from a 135 bench to a 200 bench, a 150 squat to a 240 squat, 210 deadlift to 300 deadlift. 90 ohp to 120ohp. and I've had many setbacks and injuries during the past few months and still making progress.

Though I bulked from 170 to 200 ( really stupid of me, cutting rn ) I think its up to you whether you prefer to bulk or not. Honestly if you bulk you're gonna be making quicker gains, but if you cut you'll stay lean and you can still make strength gains on this program while cutting indeed. Tens of thousands of people have had success on his program. And at the end of a year or year and a half you should be benching 225, deadlifting 405, and squatting 315. Might be lower or higher depending on ur genetics.

I'm only talking from personal experience, but this program is full body workouts 3 times a week so you can focus on school more. You can even do the program 2 times a week and make hella gains.

Wont let me send the link to his program but look it up if you wish. you will find it ez. good luck

Thank you for the long response! I am only asking this question - whether I should cut or bulk - because I want to lose fat while making big gains at the same time. I've read online that if you do cardio, it will slow down your growth. Plus, I want abs too.

azhanger
08-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Bump.

Ryan8501
08-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Clean/normal bulk. Also like someone before me mentioned get a gym pass and use Fierce 5 or Starting Strength as your program.

MBoux2000
08-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Do you dislike the program based on the routine itself or the fact that Jason Blaha was the one who created it? I have done tons of research online and people seem to have made plenty of gains. Some people have really weird opinions. I've talked to plenty of people that say they've had good gains with the program and I'm actually doing it too. Upon the recommendation of some people I'm trying to increase the reps a bit though. I also do regular core workouts at home too.

Goingviking
08-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Some people have really weird opinions. I've talked to plenty of people that say they've had good gains with the program and I'm actually doing it too. Upon the recommendation of some people I'm trying to increase the reps a bit though. I also do regular core workouts at home too.

Its because people, including myself, develop loyalties to certain programs and training philosophies, and then we tend to navigate towards websites and groups that support our ideology. My opinion on the program is that the exercises are fine, but you will not maximize growth working out in the 4 to 7 rep range. Low reps increase strength more(basically athletes that rely on raw strength and phaggots that want to impress other dudes at the gym). If your looking to get your body bigger you want to workout in the 8 to 12 rep range for all exercises. The 8-12 rep range is also ideal for beginners because risk of injury is lower.

Junsuiakai
08-06-2017, 04:01 AM
Some people have really weird opinions. I've talked to plenty of people that say they've had good gains with the program and I'm actually doing it too. Upon the recommendation of some people I'm trying to increase the reps a bit though. I also do regular core workouts at home too.

Jason Blaha is not worthy of listening to. He lies about everything, blames others for everything, and doesn't take responsibility for his short comings.

Alpha Destiny is no-bs, straight talk guy, whom doesn't lie, and has a great program.

Jason Blaha's program looks like something I made for myself the first 3-6 months of lifting, after that I realized it wasn't optimal. It is just a lazy way to get stronger.

Want to know how to get stronger, and bigger? You have to eat enough food and beat the living hell out of yourself. And then the next time you go in the gym, you have to o it again, and the next time.

Nobody can really tell you if a program works, because the results are dictated by the individuals. If you go in the gym and follow a workout 100% and don't ever try and push yourself harder, and just expect to you to magically grow, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

I remember the first year of lifting, my program was around 245lb deadlift x6, I was doing 315lb x8.

Programs are guides but overall you should learn to listen to your body, and believe in yourself.

azhanger
08-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the response guys.