PDA

View Full Version : Protein consumption timing and amounts

NeillC
07-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Given that the body can store a massive amounts of fat at low cost I buy that timing of fat is not critical. I can eat my fat at any time during the day.
Likewise with depleted glycogen you body can store quite a lot so timing is not critical. Not that I bother trying to eat some minimal amount beyond fiber.
Now with protein I see from Lyle McDonalds keto book (didn't buy it but might for the background, saw bits on google books) that protein storage is limited to free fatty acids in the blood.
It seems that protein is consumed to burn both fats and carbohydrates in muscle so I am thinking there is an argument to spreading protein consumption through the day right?
Way back when the story used to be not to consume more that 30g in a sitting since your body couldn't use any more. I am guessing this is a myth but would like to know.

Tommy W.
07-30-2017, 10:18 AM
More than 30 or whatever grams of protein will be digested and used later. Hit your daily amounts and you're fine. If you have a very high amount of muscle then more frequent protein feedings come into play

Goingviking
07-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Given that the body can store a massive amounts of fat at low cost I buy that timing of fat is not critical. I can eat my fat at any time during the day.
Likewise with depleted glycogen you body can store quite a lot so timing is not critical. Not that I bother trying to eat some minimal amount beyond fiber.
Now with protein I see from Lyle McDonalds keto book (didn't buy it but might for the background, saw bits on google books) that protein storage is limited to free fatty acids in the blood.
It seems that protein is consumed to burn both fats and carbohydrates in muscle so I am thinking there is an argument to spreading protein consumption through the day right?
Way back when the story used to be not to consume more that 30g in a sitting since your body couldn't use any more. I am guessing this is a myth but would like to know.

Based on my inquiry it looks like protein can only be digested at certain rates depending on the protein source and the other supporting macros. So in a given 24 hour period your body will only uptake a certain amount so it makes sense(when building muscle) to increase the frequency of protein consumption so there is a steady stream of protein always being worked on. However since the max amount of protein that the body can absorb is 10 grams per hour(whey) it does not make sense to take in protein more than every few hours unless you are on a low calorie diet and burning your protein as energy. I have came across at least one article( with referenced study) that say the body responds better to 30 or 40 grams of protein better than 20 grams in one sitting, and a referenced study that shows eating 20 grams every 3 hours is better than 40 grams every 5 or 6 hours. I think Lyle's take away on meal frequency(and therefore protein frequency) is that the body will stay anabolic for at least 5 hours after a full meal with adequate protein(his reading is dense so there is room for misinterpretation). I usually wait 2/3 hours after a whey protein shake before consuming more protein and 4 hours between solid meals.

You can eat fat anytime of the day, but there is room for argument that fat should be avoided in your pre and post workout shake as this slows the absorption rate of the protein and carbs into your blood. You could also use fat to slow down the rate of protein absorption in the meal before bedtime.

NeillC
07-30-2017, 10:22 AM
More than 30 or whatever grams of protein will be digested and used later. Hit your daily amounts and you're fine. If you have a very high amount of muscle then more frequent protein feedings come into play

I am hitting my daily amounts every single day. I also hit my fat and fiber amounts. This morning for breakfast I had only eaten 17g of protein. Often I feel hungry after and consume some meat but today I did not. So this got me thinking that maybe I should consume more protein then (and I did) to raise it a little. Otherwise I would likely either consume more later in the day or more likely consume it at 9pm tonight when I eat to hit my macros.

Goingviking
07-30-2017, 10:36 AM
I am hitting my daily amounts every single day. I also hit my fat and fiber amounts. This morning for breakfast I had only eaten 17g of protein. Often I feel hungry after and consume some meat but today I did not. So this got me thinking that maybe I should consume more protein then (and I did) to raise it a little. Otherwise I would likely either consume more later in the day or more likely consume it at 9pm tonight when I eat to hit my macros.

It looks like you have been losing weight. If you are losing weight with a low calorie diet keep in mind that a good portion of the protein is being burned off as fuel. You should monitor your lean body mass to see if you are getting enough protein. Even inaccurate handheld bodyfat devices can help you see patterns. For insurance purposes you might want to up your protein to at least 30 grams per meal, and if you got money to burn take a few doses of BCAA's. I would prioritize the carb macros and protein macros over the fat macros to preserve muscle. Maybe keep fat at 10 to 15 percent.

NeillC
07-30-2017, 11:49 AM
It looks like you have been losing weight. If you are losing weight with a low calorie diet keep in mind that a good portion of the protein is being burned off as fuel. You should monitor your lean body mass to see if you are getting enough protein. Even inaccurate handheld bodyfat devices can help you see patterns. For insurance purposes you might want to up your protein to at least 30 grams per meal, and if you got money to burn take a few doses of BCAA's. I would prioritize the carb macros and protein macros over the fat macros to preserve muscle. Maybe keep fat at 10 to 15 percent.

At first I had my protein intake too low and maybe fat as well. I lost strength and suffered in the gym with wrist pain and a general dread of even going. I upped my protein and fat intake to 150g/75g and I got a little of the strength back and my pains and dread went away after a week or two. I am going by the stickies on fat and protein I think but of course it all depends on what you take as your lean body mass.
It's working so well for me that I don't want to change fat for carbs especially since the claim is there is no lower limit for carb consumption.