PDA

View Full Version : Caloric Intake

Rleather94
07-26-2017, 03:05 AM
Whats peoples method of calculating your caloric intake?

used 3 or 4 different calculators online and get different results each time, ranging from 2200 to 3600

Mikeez0
07-26-2017, 03:37 AM
It is just a good starting point, pick a random number and see how is your weight changes during time( 2 weeks is enough ) adjust depending on results.

CommitmentRulz
07-26-2017, 03:38 AM

used 3 or 4 different calculators online and get different results each time, ranging from 2200 to 3600
The calculators are all estimates. Pick one and stick to it without wavering for 3 weeks, then adjust your real-life results accordingly.

Henstock
07-26-2017, 03:44 AM

Personally I go off:

Maintenance - 14-16cals x Pounds of Bodyweight
Bulking - 18cals x BW
Cut - 10-12cals (sometimes down to 8, depending) x BW

To be honest though, there's not a one size that fits all formula. I have an office job, you might walk 30 miles a day for work. The formula above works for me and I adjust accordingly according to the scales and measurements of my body.

rhadam
07-26-2017, 05:35 AM

Use the IIFYM calculator then adjust from there. It's only an estimate but it does pretty well.

https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

ironwill2008
07-26-2017, 06:18 AM

If you've already taken the time to use several different calculator formulas to figure your TDEE, average the resulting calorie amount of all of them, and then start with that figure.

Weigh/measure/track all your food items for the next 3-4 weeks using a food scale, and then at that time evaluate where yoru're at as opposed to where you want to go and make calorie adjustments as deemed necessary. Then, re-evaluate in another 3-4 weeks, adjust, and so on.

Tommy W.
07-26-2017, 07:38 AM
It's best to err towards the lower amounts. It takes 3-4 weeks to see the outcome of if you're headed in the right direction. Wasting 3-4 weeks on too high an amount is, well, wasting 3-4 weeks. If you lose too much fat in that time frame you can raise a little however nobody ever does.

Also take into account that tracking\counting will be off so going low will probably mean not that low in reality.

AdamWW
07-26-2017, 01:59 PM
To be honest, all I do now is track calories in my head...

After 10+ years of looking up foods, you start to get an idea of how much fat/carbs/protein most common things have, and since the minimums for fat and protein are very easy for me to hit, I know that as long as I meet the calorie goal, the rest will take care of itself.

401Delta
07-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Ok I guess I need to dumb it down for you...Things in physics get bigger when they lose energy, not gain energy

IIRC, a particle approaching the speed of light gets bigger as more energy is applied, but regardless...

It's apples and oranges when it comes to the human body and it's intake and expenditure of fuel. I think anyone competing/training at a very lean body composition will tell you that tracking calories is more effective to further alter their body composition than to not track calories.

AdamWW
07-26-2017, 02:07 PM
IIRC, a particle approaching the speed of light gets bigger as more energy is applied, but regardless...

It's apples and oranges when it comes to the human body and it's intake and expenditure of fuel. I think anyone competing/training at a very lean body composition will tell you that tracking calories is more effective to further alter their body composition than to not track calories.

Depends how lean I suppose.

I think if your goal is stay below 10% bodyfat then yes... but if you've been training for years, have accumulated close to your natural limits in terms of lean tissue, then you don't need that much attention to macro intake just to maintain where you are... so long as you're getting enough protein to spare muscle loss (which is much easier than getting enough to BUILD muscle) and enough calories to avoid perpetually losing weight, then you should be fine just losing eyeballing.

401Delta
07-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Depends how lean I suppose.

I think if your goal is stay below 10% bodyfat then yes... but if you've been training for years, have accumulated close to your natural limits in terms of lean tissue, then you don't need that much attention to macro intake just to maintain where you are... so long as you're getting enough protein to spare muscle loss (which is much easier than getting enough to BUILD muscle) and enough calories to avoid perpetually losing weight, then you should be fine just losing eyeballing.

I agree as I was referring to someone very lean as an example (less than 10% bodyfat). I was specifically just commenting on the argument 'the leaner you get, the more effective it is to track calories' and the very questionable reference to the Theory of Special Relativity :).

AdamWW
07-26-2017, 02:16 PM
I agree as I was referring to someone very lean as an example (less than 10% bodyfat). I was specifically just commenting on the argument 'the leaner you get, the more effective it is to track calories' and the very questionable reference to the Theory of Special Relativity :).

Oh I know... just chiming in with 2 cents ;)

I think the dude who posted the physics nonsense is ignoring the fact that human bodies are not closed systems, and that muscle tissue and non-lean tissue have different biological functions which utilize energy at different rates.

This is a bit different that tossing around inanimate objects through space.

AdamWW
07-26-2017, 02:31 PM
I guess this ^^^ is why concentration camp survivors looked so healthy and robust - they adapted to their environment...

I think kris has been listening to a little too much Nun Amen Ra advice