what a time to be a role player in the NBA

thehypocrit
07-07-2017, 07:09 AM
otto's is fine lol

wizards would of been retarded to give him to the kings

amikaelmorris
07-07-2017, 07:15 AM
it's completely insane to me how NBA salaries have skyrocketed

i understand the salary cap has gone up and there's a new CBA, but it feels like monopoly money being thrown around and i don't see how it doesn't come crashing down in a few years

FryDude
07-07-2017, 07:26 AM
lol do me a solid and go see if you can take a peek at the owners books. The players make a fraction of what the real 1% are making.

I don't see anything wrong with these contracts. Stop comparing old salaries to new ones, it's stupid. This is literally basic economics, everything is proportional. As it stands we're in a bit of a transition phase and the teams that were stupid with their money last like the Blazers are the team that are going to be paying the luxury tax fielding treadmill teams.

HtotheOV
07-07-2017, 07:29 AM
lol do me a solid and go see if you can take a peek at the owners books. The players make a fraction of what the real 1% are making.

I don't see anything wrong with these contracts. Stop comparing old salaries to new ones, it's stupid.
that argument only works for the star players.. supply and demand

I have no issues with a curry or Lebron making 40mil per.. they are bringing in more revenue than anyone

you're telling me a Tim hardaway is worth 71 mil whether it's based off on the court play or revenue?

FryDude
07-07-2017, 07:35 AM

I have no issues with a curry or Lebron making 40mil per.. they are bringing in more revenue than anyone

you're telling me a Tim hardaway is worth 71 mil whether it's based off on the court play or revenue?

Player contracts are up across the board. The league is in a transition phase with some players still on old contracts. Wall just rejected a super max extension at 40 million, I can only imagine the hoopla over that.

The overall % is the same. Under the old salary cap ****ty GM's overpaid for role players, in the salary cap ****ty GM's are still overpaying for role players. lol ****ty teams do ****ty things, it isn't a reflection on the league at all. The overall % is the same.

http://nbcprobasketballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/image_thumb2.png?w=620&h=337

Player salaries are up roughly 50%. Hardaway would have made approx 11.67 million in the old NBA. Would you have considered that a drastic overpay? A slight overpay perhaps.

thehypocrit
07-07-2017, 07:46 AM
the salary cap doesn't help star players

it only helps role players

thehypocrit
07-07-2017, 07:48 AM
it's completely insane to me how NBA salaries have skyrocketed

i understand the salary cap has gone up and there's a new CBA, but it feels like monopoly money being thrown around and i don't see how it doesn't come crashing down in a few years

come crashing down?

what are you ****ing talking about?

lol you are actually complaining how much they are earning? you think they earn too much? FKING LOL

These guys are the money makers and are worth a lot more than what they are making lol

can't believe some of you retards are jealous of other people's earnings fml

MrAWatts
07-07-2017, 08:20 AM
come crashing down?

Well in the sense that awarding large contracts now will have long term implications when the cap doesnt raise as much as projected. OKC experienced this with awarding Oladipo/Adams their contracts. Less than they would have got on open market, but still tied them up way too much financially. Luckily they were able to shed Oladipo so even if George leaves they will have cap space to make some moves at that point. So yeah thats the only downside I see, these teams awarding massive paydays to roleplayers are going to have a tough time making financial moves in the coming years because of it.

HoustonMiscer
07-07-2017, 08:28 AM
come crashing down?

lol you are actually complaining how much they are earning? you think they earn too much? FKING LOL

These guys are the money makers and are worth a lot more than what they are making lol

can't believe some of you retards are jealous of other people's earnings fml

You need to calm down right now

dtbrehm
07-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Like FryDude said, you should go by percent of cap to argue whether someone is overpaid.

lsiberian
07-07-2017, 08:33 AM
It's not really that because there are 30 teams with 99 mill to spend, so that means like 60 players are getting 20 mill a year at least.

jinda628
07-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Franchise players are up now from about low $20Ms in the past to mid $30Ms now. Same way role players are up from below $10M to about twice as much now.

Everything is going up, not just role players.

JrM703
07-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Roster sizes of 13-14 players, expensive tv contract, practically no expensive affiliates (D-League still a work in progress), second most popular global sport after soccer/football.

Inb4 someone says cricket is more popular

HayZues Christi
07-07-2017, 10:56 AM
100 mil cap. Have to spend 90%. Rosters only 15 players MAX. 1 dollar now equivalent to 80 cents at last cba.

WSG1
07-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Its crazy how much some of these players are getting. $100k contracts used to be something only super super stars get to sniff, Now god damn role players are getting that on the regular.

RiceBrah93
07-07-2017, 03:07 PM
The more they make the more they get taxed. The tax collectors and NBA mafia are doing it on purpose.

Slamt
07-07-2017, 03:17 PM

You can't use a deal the Knicks made to support your case bro

knicks are gonna knicks

But yes some of the contracts are atrocious but that's what happens when you're in a small market and nobody wants to come.

You either have to overpay for scrubs or tank and pray for a star

tpt
07-07-2017, 03:38 PM

I don't see anything wrong with these contracts. Stop comparing old salaries to new ones, it's stupid. This is literally basic economics, everything is proportional. As it stands we're in a bit of a transition phase and the teams that were stupid with their money last like the Blazers are the team that are going to be paying the luxury tax fielding treadmill teams.

Real 1%?. It only takes $400,000/year to be in the top 1%. Players are definately 0.01%

HughBMyron
07-07-2017, 05:15 PM
201 million for the 4th best option on a team

that to me is nuts

amikaelmorris
07-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Well in the sense that awarding large contracts now will have long term implications when the cap doesnt raise as much as projected. OKC experienced this with awarding Oladipo/Adams their contracts. Less than they would have got on open market, but still tied them up way too much financially. Luckily they were able to shed Oladipo so even if George leaves they will have cap space to make some moves at that point. So yeah thats the only downside I see, these teams awarding massive paydays to roleplayers are going to have a tough time making financial moves in the coming years because of it.

and in general if you have a truckload of huge contracts floating around you're handicapping the ability for younger talent to come in because teams are stuck trading around bad contracts when they could be playing younger players. it's not good for parity, but i mean clearly the league doesn't really care nor should they have to. these superteams make them money, and currently there's enough teams around that those bad contracts have buyers.

it can probably work for the time being because contract lengths are relatively short but if term starts going up i think we start having some major problems