PDA

View Full Version : Lost 20 pounds in 8 months

salvador727
07-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Am I slow if I lost 20 pounds in 8 months? I have been seeing results in 8 months since i applied more exercises for losing weight and eating less junk food. However, at age 25, height 5'9" and 190 pounds in weight, I still look fat and ugly as ****. I don't comprehend what I have done wrong?

dwill094
07-03-2017, 04:13 PM
You are looking better man! If you are losing weight and lowering your BF % then you are doing something right.

20lbs in 8 weeks is actually on the more rapid side of weight loss. 1lb per week is just fine for someone doing a slow cut.

It looks to you like you are a bit higher on body fat so that seems like a relatively good rate to me, keep working.

salvador727
07-03-2017, 06:23 PM
You are looking better man! If you are losing weight and lowering your BF % then you are doing something right.

20lbs in 8 weeks is actually on the more rapid side of weight loss. 1lb per week is just fine for someone doing a slow cut.

It looks to you like you are a bit higher on body fat so that seems like a relatively good rate to me, keep working.

Thanks for the input. I was trying to understand what options I have to lose more body fat through caloric deficit without sacrifice much of protein intake. Given that i might have 23 or so percent body fat and since I am starting to take whey protein for more than a month, what foods can I eat that won't go beyond the 3000 or so calories that I need to lose weight.

Tommy W.
07-03-2017, 06:49 PM
what foods can I eat that won't go beyond the 3000 or so calories that I need to lose weight.3000 is alot. There's room to go lower pretty easily. You can eat whatever you want as long as you get your protein in.

salvador727
07-03-2017, 07:25 PM
3000 is alot. There's room to go lower pretty easily. You can eat whatever you want as long as you get your protein in. I am not sure how to measure my bf% but here are my numbers right now. I hope you can get back to me: Age 25, Height 5'9", Weight: 188 LBS, Neck circum: 15 in, Waist circum: 37 inch, Hip Size: 35 inch. I love to hear your input on this matter

OhTea
07-03-2017, 11:58 PM
Awesome progress and great work! :-) You're definitely going in the right direction!

philgriffiths
07-04-2017, 05:38 AM
you have made progress, which is always a good thing, but I can understand your frustration: 20lb in 8 month (not weeks, as somebody above thought) is pretty slow - in fact it's only a little more than 0.5lb per week.
Most people tend to cut at a rate of 1-2lb per week.

The reason for this slow cut is indeed your calorie intake. If you have been eating at 3,000 cals per day, then the fact you are losing weight still clearly indicates you are eating below your TDEE, which is the bare minimum requirement to lose weight.
Based on your weight, weightloss stats, and daily calories, then it puts your maintenance TDEE at approx 3200 cals per day.
Maintaining your current activity levels, and eating anything below that will result in weightloss.

I would personally say drop to about 2,500 per day and you should see your fat loss get a boost to a little over 1lb per week, which for the next few months will be just fine for you.

As Tommy said, as long as you're hitting your minimum requirements on yoiur macros, then however you choose to hit that 2,500 is up to you.
Also, just make sure you are on a proper weightlifting plan, with compound movements and progressive overload at the heart of their structure.

You'll find some examples (Fierce 5, stronglifts 5x5 etc) in the workout section of the forum.

Tommy W.
07-04-2017, 07:42 AM
You want to lower calories by 100 for every 10 lbs you lose. By doing this automatically you'll not plateau and just keep losing fat. You can drop more than that if you can handle it and still get your protein in. If you wait to drop calories when you plateau for 3 weeks as most people do you waste a lot of time getting to your goal. One positive thing however about a plateau is it provides for a mini diet break as you're at maintenance for a couple of weeks and sometimes that can be an advantage

salvador727
07-04-2017, 09:44 AM
you have made progress, which is always a good thing, but I can understand your frustration: 20lb in 8 month (not weeks, as somebody above thought) is pretty slow - in fact it's only a little more than 0.5lb per week.
Most people tend to cut at a rate of 1-2lb per week.

The reason for this slow cut is indeed your calorie intake. If you have been eating at 3,000 cals per day, then the fact you are losing weight still clearly indicates you are eating below your TDEE, which is the bare minimum requirement to lose weight.
Based on your weight, weightloss stats, and daily calories, then it puts your maintenance TDEE at approx 3200 cals per day.
Maintaining your current activity levels, and eating anything below that will result in weightloss.

I would personally say drop to about 2,500 per day and you should see your fat loss get a boost to a little over 1lb per week, which for the next few months will be just fine for you.

As Tommy said, as long as you're hitting your minimum requirements on yoiur macros, then however you choose to hit that 2,500 is up to you.
Also, just make sure you are on a proper weightlifting plan, with compound movements and progressive overload at the heart of their structure.

You'll find some examples (Fierce 5, stronglifts 5x5 etc) in the workout section of the forum.

Thanks for the advice. I am not an expert on bodybuilding slang or verbs, but what is TDEE. I am pretty sure that I am not eating above 2500 calories a day. With the renovation of the gym i go to and more barbells available, I have been incorporating compound exercises (Squats, romanian deadlifts, deadlifts, bench presses) and trying to increase the overload on each of those compound exercises. Could it also be the fact that I might be gaining muscle mass at the same time though that could lead to gaining weight? I have attached pictures of myself today in the morning. I have been trying GNC AmplifiedExtreme 60 Ripped Whey protein and was wondering what could my BF be with my picture of my body posted

Topmer
07-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Nice!! You are doing good man! awesome work. I hope I could do that too.

salvador727
07-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Nice!! You are doing good man! awesome work. I hope I could do that too.

Thanks man. It took a while to get there. I am just trying to have my abs show a bit more. I think my abs don't show that much is mostly because I haven't done ab workouts in over 7 months due to the idea that since I have a belly, then there is no purpose in doing planks or an ab roller workout or even reverse crunches.