PDA

View Full Version : Eric Helms - "Gaintaining"

chamelious
07-03-2017, 01:30 AM
Nothing in here will be news to anyone who posts here regularly but nevertheless an interesting read from one of the titans.

https://www.denovonutrition.com/beyond-the-diet/

gbullock32
07-03-2017, 01:40 AM
New or not, always nice to read something nutrition/fitness related; thanks!

Mrpb
07-03-2017, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the share. Eric always has good stuff to say.

Here's a new podcast: Eric Helms on the Simple Science of Making “Lean Gains”

https://www.muscleforlife.com/eric-helms-build-muscle/

Budjola
07-03-2017, 02:14 AM
will listen to podcast while doing cardio today

Brozef
07-03-2017, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the read

Celstick
07-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Eric's stuff is always well written and engaging - this was no exception. I found this article particularly relevant to my personal situation. Thank you for sharing!

boo99
07-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Thanks for posting

Excellent read as usual from Eric and thank you Mrpb for the podcast link

jonnicola
07-03-2017, 10:15 PM
Thanks for links, always appreciated

kingkano
07-04-2017, 12:03 AM
Thanks for this article and the podcast! Excellent stuff.

Mrpb
07-04-2017, 12:10 AM
I hadn't listened to that podcast before I posted it. Must say the title sounded better than the content IMO. It's all quite basic, up till now. Haven't finished fully, maybe it gets better on the end.

SuffolkPunch
07-04-2017, 12:42 AM
The podcast mainly talks about bulking and cutting too... by implication recomping is not an option to be suggested.

Mrpb
07-04-2017, 12:49 AM
The title of the podcast is about making lean gains.

The term gaintaining to me refers to making slow bulking gains without cutting.

Budjola
07-04-2017, 01:46 AM
The title of the podcast is about making lean gains.

The term gaintaining to me refers to making slow bulking gains without cutting.

this

chamelious
07-04-2017, 02:12 AM
I wish i had the self control to "gaintain" indefinitely!

Mrpb
07-04-2017, 02:29 AM
I seem to be an odd case. Bulking got me fat and strong, cutting makes me lose my strength quickly. Now trying the gaintaining route, my results are a lot better.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if a study was conducted it would turn out that bulking and cutting isn't better than gaintaining.

chamelious
07-04-2017, 02:59 AM
I seem to be an odd case. Bulking got me fat and strong, cutting makes me lose my strength quickly. Now trying the gaintaining route, my results are a lot better.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised that if a study was conducted it would turn out that bulking and cutting isn't better than gaintaining.

I suspect you're only "odd" in your convictions, being able to maintain such a small surplus over a long period of time!

Tyler2106
07-05-2017, 06:43 AM

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if a study was conducted it would turn out that bulking and cutting isn't better than gaintaining.

You're no snowflake when it comes to gaining / losing weight. Gain weight fast, you'll put on extra fat and maximize strength gains. Lose weight fast, you run the risk of losing strength. People lose a lot of strength quickly on a cut because they're mentally weak and don't realize that they're still stronger than they think they are. For someone who should be very experienced, it surprises me that you'd need a study to tell your body whether or not cutting and bulking is more or less effective than gaintaining.

Mrpb
07-05-2017, 07:23 AM
You're no snowflake when it comes to gaining / losing weight. Gain weight fast, you'll put on extra fat and maximize strength gains. Lose weight fast, you run the risk of losing strength.

I don't think I'm a special snowflake either. I just happen to be 44, have certain genetics and certain insulin sensitivity. Those factors probably contribute to my specific bulking results.

The effects I described were while gaining weight slowly, ~2 pounds per month and cutting slowly, ~1 pound per week. I get better results by avoiding cutting. This shouldn't be surprising as individual variability to training and diet approaches is large, this has consistently been shown in studies.

For someone who should be very experienced, it surprises me that you'd need a study to tell your body whether or not cutting and bulking is more or less effective than gaintaining.

That's why I didn't say I need that study. I already know I do better on the gaintaining approach.

I said I wouldn't be surprised if it would turn out that bulking and cutting isn't better than gaintaining.

shesprints
07-05-2017, 10:30 AM
That's a great article, especially the bit at the bottom about the realism (or not) of maintaining very lean. Ouch. That hit hard. But it's an important message, if, uh, hard to swallow.

I should show this to my brother, who keeps switching from cut to bulk and yoyoing around the same weight/muscularity anyway.

Brozef
07-05-2017, 04:29 PM
That's a great article, especially the bit at the bottom about the realism (or not) of maintaining very lean. Ouch. That hit hard. But it's an important message, if, uh, hard to swallow.

I should show this to my brother, who keeps switching from cut to bulk and yoyoing around the same weight/muscularity anyway.

I can see how that part of the article could get into someone's head and be used as an excuse to give up on becoming lean.
Ya, I agree with him that 15% BF is a "healthy" level, but not too much more than that is less than ideal for a natural trying to build muscle.

Also the whole "gaintaining" idea kinda hints at not ever having to cut again (at least in this article). Gaintaining obviously is a play on the word maintaining. In the article he talks about changing eating habits and slow weight gain. Gaining weight isn't maintaining...it will lead to fat gain which eventually will lead to cutting since building pure muscle is basically impossible.

Maybe I missed the point, or maybe I don't have some facts straight but I guess I really don't get what he's trying to say.