PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Intake

MJH14
06-16-2017, 06:00 PM
So I am trying to lose weight, and honestly I have no idea what I am doing. I am 21 year old, 6' tall and weigh 315 pounds. I used an online calorie calculator and it said that I should be eating around 3300 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I have been dieting and working out for a couple weeks now and have seem some progress, but I have been eating around 2200 calories a day (50% protein, 30% fat, and 20% carbs). I have also been working out every day and I wear a heart rate monitor that says I usually burn around 1000 calories in a workout (this takes into account my weight, age, and obviously heart rate). Here are my questions:

1. Should I be eating more calories?
I am perfectly satisfied with the amount I eat now, and I think that eating an extra 1100 calories a day would be a struggle. I just don't know if eating that much less is having a negative effect on my weight loss.

2. If I burn 1000 calories a day, am I supposed to eat more to make up for those calories?

As I said I don't know what I am doing, so these may be dumb questions, but any answers/advice would help.

Heisman2
06-16-2017, 06:14 PM
1. No, if you are comfortable eating what you are eating and losing weight at a rate you are happy with, keep doing what you are doing from the overall calorie perspective.
2. 99% chance your heart rate monitor is drastically overestimating the amount of calories you are burning. It doesn't matter though. There is no need to wear the heart rate monitor. Do not eat more to make up for the calories you think you are burning.
3. Most important, read the stickies in this section to get a better idea of what you are doing.