PDA

View Full Version : Mad Dog Mattis testifies that he is “shocked” by low level of US military readiness

A-GAME
06-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Source - https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/874408135766814720

I guess this won't come as a surprise to a lot of you. But I wonder, can the US afford to build up it's military again? Can it afford not to?

nutsy54
06-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Why didn't you cite an actual article on his testimony, instead of a few senasationalized words which didn't address the underlying problem of Congressional failure?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/12/jim-mattis-congress-budget-inaction-239454

cashinout
06-12-2017, 05:16 PM
I don't see what money will do except buy ill-prepared soldiers fancier weapons

i'm not a military guy but if current culture is seeping into it, it's no wonder

metallicide
06-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Didn't read the article but the military is getting too soft. They need to harden back up.

BrocepCurls
06-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Ah yes, the "depleted" $600 billion a year military

A-GAME
06-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Why didn't you cite an actual article on his testimony, instead of a few senasationalized words which didn't address the underlying problem of Congressional failure?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/12/jim-mattis-congress-budget-inaction-239454

Because I wasn't aware there was an article written about a "breaking news" statement. Why don't you stop crying and fist yourself?

BrocepCurls
06-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Because I wasn't aware there was an article written about a "breaking news" statement. Why don't you stop crying and fist yourself?

Nutsybot only on "10% human" setting tonight

JrM703
06-12-2017, 05:40 PM

...because the vast majority of the budget being actual hardware translates to well trained soldiers, particularly when the Clinton and Obama Adm. spent time watering down standards, and GW Bush dove right into a war...

...tell me more .

Reliance012
06-12-2017, 05:56 PM
...because the vast majority of the budget being actual hardware translates to well trained soldiers, particularly when the Clinton and Obama Adm. spent time watering down standards, and GW Bush dove right into a war...

...tell me more .

Then reallocate funds. Don't demand more money. Just lol at science federal funding below 30 billion while the defense budget sits at 600+, and has proponents asking for 640 billion.

JrM703
06-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Then reallocate funds. Don't demand more money. Just lol at science federal funding below 30 billion while the defense budget sits at 600+, and has proponents asking for 640 billion.

Lack of hardware is still an issue from 16 of the last 24 years being draw down of Defense.

Not to mention recruitment and re-enlistment has been well below what the Armed Forces needs for years.

The Army is offering $90,000 in bonuses to re-enlist.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/06/needing-troops-army-offers-up-to-90000-bonuses-to-re-enlist.html

A-GAME
06-12-2017, 06:04 PM

I'm guessing they feel like the private sector will take care of scientific research. I'm not saying I agree, but it is what it is.

On one hand, I see good reasons for America to reduce the size of it's military and only use it for self defence, but on the other hand I know what would happen to the world if America didn't continue acting as world police, protecting strategic interests and allies.

It's always a balance, but I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. Glad it's not my job lol.

jtaylor2010
06-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Better get our sh!t together before Europe becomes Middle East 2.0

I would say though that instead of pouring more money into it we should work on reducing waste. Their is an absolute sh!t ton of wasteful spending when it comes to the military. And obviously with a budget like that it's easy to see why. Everybody is trying to get their hand in that cookie jar.

jtaylor2010
06-12-2017, 06:25 PM
I don't see what money will do except buy ill-prepared soldiers fancier weapons

i'm not a military guy but if current culture is seeping into it, it's no wonder

What's wrong with the current culture seeping in?? So what if women get their own tests completely separate from the criteria the men have to meet? Women can do everything that men can do....unless they can't, at which point it's totally sexist to expect them to be able to.

JrM703
06-12-2017, 06:31 PM
What's wrong with the current culture seeping in?? So what if women get their own tests completely separate from the criteria the men have to meet? Women can do everything that men can do....unless they can't, at which point it's totally sexist to expect them to be able to.

^This

People seemingly don't understand the difference between "readiness" as it relates to manpower, and actual combat ready infrastructure/hardware as it relates to the weaponry.

cashinout
06-12-2017, 06:37 PM

personally i think because men did the majority of the fighting throughout history, just as USA did majority of pollution, only women should be forced to serve in the military to make up for it and there should be a special tax on women to pay for those lost lives of men

and also all the western European countries should pay the USA 100 billion per year because we saved them in WW2

wesleysh21
06-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Women can do everything that men can do....unless they can't, at which point it's totally sexist to expect them to be able to.

Gold.

XterraRob
06-12-2017, 07:24 PM
The budget/spending increases throughout the 9/11 era made the defense industry too greedy, need to bring them back to reality.

deplorablepepe
06-12-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm guessing they feel like the private sector will take care of scientific research. I'm not saying I agree, but it is what it is.

On one hand, I see good reasons for America to reduce the size of it's military and only use it for self defence, but on the other hand I know what would happen to the world if America didn't continue acting as world police, protecting strategic interests and allies.

It's always a balance, but I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. Glad it's not my job lol.

Key point here. The military is used not just to defend the US but to also to carry out foreign policy. Libs want to bitch about military spending and blame the pentagon and ignore that Obama and hillary saw it fit to get involved with libya and syria, ignore that many democrats, including hillary, voted to go into iraq and get mad and pissy when donald trump tells other leeching countries to pay their share into NATO. Somehow libs think that the US is supposed to both downside our military while not asking other countries to contribute more into NATO. Oh and they wanted to start WW3 with russia while downsizing.

dannyg1217
06-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Well, four the last eight years they've only focused on gay and women equality. So I could imagine how unready they may be.

Trapstar4.4
06-12-2017, 08:10 PM
defense contractors be like "right on brotha!"

MojoTheMonkey
06-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Isn't this due to obesity rates in America?

People are simply too fat to be good soldiers especially in the working class where the traditionally grunt comes from.

However, can't the military whip these fatties into shape once they get into boot camp? It's not rocket science to get a recruit into fighting shape, they have to eat what they are given and they have to do the PT they assigned, they don't have a say in the matter.

sawoobley
06-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Didn't read the article but the military is getting too soft. They need to harden back up.

Eight years of Obama will do that.

Better get our sh!t together before Europe becomes Middle East 2.0

I would say though that instead of pouring more money into it we should work on reducing waste. Their is an absolute sh!t ton of wasteful spending when it comes to the military. And obviously with a budget like that it's easy to see why. Everybody is trying to get their hand in that cookie jar.

The amount of waste in the military is staggering. It doesn't help they and probably the rest of the government is trying to go green.

Mr Beer
06-12-2017, 09:36 PM

People are simply too fat to be good soldiers especially in the working class where the traditionally grunt comes from.

However, can't the military whip these fatties into shape once they get into boot camp? It's not rocket science to get a recruit into fighting shape, they have to eat what they are given and they have to do the PT they assigned, they don't have a say in the matter.

Yeah but you're still going to get more dropouts if you have to remove extra fat from nearly every recruit. Some will reach their personal breaking point sooner than they would have if they weren't overweight and some will get injured when they would have otherwise have been OK.

crupiea
06-12-2017, 09:39 PM
It will turn around rapidly with funding, Not all money is spent of new fancy weapons, most of it is spent on training. no money, no training. simple. Thats the bulk of what the military does day in and day out. The funding cuts take away readiness big time. Soon as the tap is turned back on though it will start the training back in full swing.

JrM703
06-12-2017, 10:03 PM
personally i think because men did the majority of the fighting throughout history, just as USA did majority of pollution, only women should be forced to serve in the military to make up for it and there should be a special tax on women to pay for those lost lives of men

and also all the western European countries should pay the USA 100 billion per year because we saved them in WW2

I see what you did there, you cheeky kent.

deplorablepepe
06-13-2017, 04:05 AM

Theres more fatties than ever in the military but they are talking more about material and training readiness.

Eight years of Obama will do that.

The amount of waste in the military is staggering. It doesn't help they and probably the rest of the government is trying to go green.

Yes, the contracting and acquisition process for the military is a complete clusterfuk. Upping or lowering of the dod budget a little here or there wont have the needed affect, they need a complete overhaul. Trump has pressed contractors a little bit here and there to reduce costs but he doesnt have the bandwidth to tackle this himself. I would really like to see him put together a reform team, maybe with some hand picked business types, to fix the bureaucracy and waste.

We can bump up the budget by $40 billion, and it will help some, but sadly a lot of that will go to waste. That is only a temporary solution.

deplorablepepe
06-13-2017, 04:09 AM
The budget/spending increases throughout the 9/11 era made the defense industry too greedy, need to bring them back to reality.

Yes contractors got more money in the end. Though a lot of that money went through the overseas contingency funds. Basically seperate money outside the normal pentagon budget, that was routed that way for bureaucracy reasons, that spent that money on the costs of being overseas in iraq/afghanistan and low and behold, the material condition and overall readiness of our ships, planes, equipment ect never improved, despite spending all that extra money.

they need complete reform.

arn710
06-13-2017, 04:19 AM
I'm not buying it

You don't give more money to someone with a spending problem

Aesthetical
06-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Lack of hardware is still an issue from 16 of the last 24 years being draw down of Defense.

Not to mention recruitment and re-enlistment has been well below what the Armed Forces needs for years.

The Army is offering $90,000 in bonuses to re-enlist.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/06/needing-troops-army-offers-up-to-90000-bonuses-to-re-enlist.html

Why would any rational human being enlist at this point?

Everybody knows its a corporate money making machine. When there is a real war because of a real conflict, not some manufactured nonsense, maybe people will take more pride in fighting for their country. They just come home with ptsd and are left to rot.

metallicide
06-13-2017, 05:43 AM
Why would any rational human being enlist at this point?

Everybody knows its a corporate money making machine. When there is a real war because of a real conflict, not some manufactured nonsense, maybe people will take more pride in fighting for their country. They just come home with ptsd and are left to rot.

You probably would not understand but some of us love our country regardless of the BS that goes on and choose to serve. Also its fun asf to blow stuff up.

PrettyPinkDonut
06-13-2017, 06:50 AM
I've recently been pulled out of field training to attend women in combat seminars.... Not kidding.
It's also very hard to get useless and fat ****s out. They say you have to be "A leader" and help them but then court martial you for making the fat ass run and workout.

metallicide
06-13-2017, 06:54 AM
I've recently been pulled out of field training to attend women in combat seminars.... Not kidding.
It's also very hard to get useless and fat ****s out. They say you have to be "A leader" and help them but then court martial you for making the fat ass run and workout.

Lmao pls do tell what a women in combat seminar is like.. I know our sexual harassment yearly thing would usually end up with one of the guys doing the helicopter with his junk behind the person giving the presentation.

~Hades~
06-13-2017, 07:14 AM
need to double the defense budget

ItsWhatIDo
06-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Source - https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/874408135766814720

I guess this won't come as a surprise to a lot of you. But I wonder, can the US afford to build up it's military again? Can it afford not to?

Poor representation of what was actually said.

Wars are being fought through cyber and espionage. But we should direct all our money to the military?

No one is going to risk casualty of a traditional war any more when you can fly an unmanned drone, or shut down the grid and screw the economy.

Metz00
06-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Seeing as how war and technology is evolving, would it be a better idea to scrap quantity for more quality and have a dependency on a wide array of special forces/elite soldiers along with advanced machines? Cutting down on soldier salary and investment would free more money to invest in computer controlled tanks and armored cars. Britain had a small core of well trained soldiers and invested heavily in their navy and then in their air force. They depended a lot on their colonial troops, especially the Indian Army whose elite sectors were composed mostly of Sikhs.

A-GAME
06-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Poor representation of what was actually said.

Wars are being fought through cyber and espionage. But we should direct all our money to the military?

No one is going to risk casualty of a traditional war any more when you can fly an unmanned drone, or shut down the grid and screw the economy.

That's a nice thought, but I don't think we're there yet.

BullittEV
06-13-2017, 08:38 AM

you know where a lot of that money is going?

to retarded political correct BS that needs to be appeased to shut the left up.

Tranny surgeries. Seriously. Instead of getting us ammo/ranges/weapons we are pushing money at non-combat bullchit like amazing cafeterias etc etc.
The companies the gov't contracts gauges the fuk out of the prices because we will pay anything.

jlick
06-13-2017, 08:43 AM
Then reallocate funds. Don't demand more money. Just lol at science federal funding below 30 billion while the defense budget sits at 600+, and has proponents asking for 640 billion.Tell me where in the constitution that says the federal government should be in charge of funding science?

Austanian
06-13-2017, 09:32 AM

I dropped 30 pounds in basic...

6'1 165 to 6'1 135.... It isn't when they leave basic that is the problem.

Military meals are horribly unhealthy. The Mandatory PT program is crap.

ItsWhatIDo
06-13-2017, 09:42 AM
That's a nice thought, but I don't think we're there yet.

We would be if we stopped wasting our money on ground troops like Russia and China.

Kane_89
06-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Mattis also said the there was "no evidence" that Putin seeks a better relationship with the US.

lawl

Lines up with what Sec. Carter said last year about Putin lying about fighting ISIS.

Aesthetical
06-13-2017, 09:54 AM
You probably would not understand but some of us love our country regardless of the BS that goes on and choose to serve. Also its fun asf to blow stuff up.

Of course I dont understand it entirely and I try to see if from the other perspective. I know my views would probably be much different if I grew up with a military parent or had consistent lineage in the US military. I just sometimes wonder does the BS even matter to those who serve, do they tune it out and not care or understand it but serve regardless.

latverian41
06-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Readiness for what?

Who is going to attack america and why and how?

No one is firing a nuke. Get off that lie. Its a detourant nothing more.

America is in no danger of an attack by any army or military in the world!

latverian41
06-13-2017, 10:02 AM
“Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear — kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor — with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by furnishing the exorbitant funds demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real.” (General Douglas MacArthur, American Caesar, 1965.)