PDA

View Full Version : carbs, to eat or not to eat?

Agent_J
10-03-2003, 02:10 PM
should we be eating carbs in our regular diet? and if so, how much?

Atavis
10-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Agent_J
what do u guys think?

That you need to provide more info or boundaries to your question.

bkman4
10-03-2003, 03:20 PM
That is THE question.

Agent_J
10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
ok, i edited my message :)

bkman4
10-03-2003, 03:34 PM
YES.

Agent_J
10-03-2003, 03:39 PM
but how much carbs to eat?

user34566548717114
10-03-2003, 06:38 PM
it doesn't matter eat all the carbs you want TOTAL CALORIES ARE WHAT MATTER, just make sure you get enough protien in and your good 2 go......1 calorie of fat or carb or suger is the same thing...4 calories it takes to burn off 1 g of any of them

stabmaster
10-03-2003, 07:15 PM
i've experimented with carb/fat/protein consumption from 65/5/30 to 5/60/35 (keto). It's all up to you, how you feel, and how you like to eat. I have learned to cook a very wide array of meals!

The two extremes have taught me the tradeoffs i have to make for each diet. For the rest of my life i will probably be doing a zone 40/20/40 and cycle low fat and low carb when i want to adjust my body composition. It's fun, actually. If i miss fruits and cereal and milk I do a low fat diet, and if i miss sausage, cheese, and steak I do a low carb. One doesn't seem to work much better than another over short periods of time. Cycling and re-feeds seems to be the key.

ARMY_of_One
10-04-2003, 01:47 AM
I'm with Stabmaster. You have to find what works for you and adjust your diet based on that.

I keep my diet at like 200 grams of protein a day, 250-350 grams of GOOD carbs, and about 50-70 grams of fat. I find when I do this I stay ripped. The key for me is to limit carbs at night and if I must consume them make sure they are slow digesting like oatmeal.

Bignbuff
10-04-2003, 11:59 AM
Don't underestimate the importance of carbohydrates in your diet. The statement that "carbs make you fat" is BS. Excess calories are really what will make you fat. The reason that people say that carbohydrates will make you fat is because usually people don't have little amounts of carbohydrates from healthy sources. Instead, they indulge those high GI processed carbs which hold 4 calories per gram and throughout the day those 4 calories per gram accumulate and lead to an abundance of calories. Plus, the high glycemic index carbs that people usually eat don't fill you up, so you're eating more of them. If people stuck to lower GI and fiberous carbs they would find that they eat less of them.

Carbohydrates are your body's main source of fuel even before fat which holds 9 calories per gram. During anaerobic respiration, such as weightlifting or high intensity cardio, both of which you should be doing, carbs are what your body is mainly using to produce ATP for energy when your body loses it's creatine phosphate stores. Fat cannot be burned without the presence of carbohydrates. Carbs are also muscle sparing and should be taken before workouts to lower cortisol levels as well as be taken post workout to replenish lost muscle glycogen from the workout.

Hope this helps buddy.

derekmac
10-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by bignbuff
Fat cannot be burned without the presence of carbohydrates.

Ketogenic diets are proof positive that fat can be burned without the presence of carbohydrates. Of course, on a carbohydrate limiting diet, your body uses ketones (fat) and protein to give itself energy.

On another matter, diets that allow no carbohydrates can be dangerous and cause massive amounts of muscle loss, in additon to a rapid drop in fat stores.

Bignbuff
10-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by derekmac
Ketogenic diets are proof positive that fat can be burned without carbohydrates. Of course, this is an exception to the rule.
Damn. I can swear that my exercise physiology teacher told our class that fat can not be used for energy without the presence of carbs. I can't believe I didn't think about keto diets in class.

derekmac
10-04-2003, 01:22 PM
In the instance of a carbohydrate-depleted state, the body will rely on protein (both from food and muscle) and ketones to provide fuel for the brain and body.

As I said above, diets that allow no carbohydrates can be dangerous and are not recommended.

Agent_J
10-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by bignbuff
Don't underestimate the importance of carbohydrates in your diet. The statement that "carbs make you fat" is BS. Excess calories are really what will make you fat. The reason that people say that carbohydrates will make you fat is because usually people don't have little amounts of carbohydrates from healthy sources. Instead, they indulge those high GI processed carbs which hold 4 calories per gram and throughout the day those 4 calories per gram accumulate and lead to an abundance of calories. Plus, the high glycemic index carbs that people usually eat don't fill you up, so you're eating more of them. If people stuck to lower GI and fiberous carbs they would find that they eat less of them.

Carbohydrates are your body's main source of fuel even before fat which holds 9 calories per gram. During anaerobic respiration, such as weightlifting or high intensity cardio, both of which you should be doing, carbs are what your body is mainly using to produce ATP for energy when your body loses it's creatine phosphate stores. Fat cannot be burned without the presence of carbohydrates. Carbs are also muscle sparing and should be taken before workouts to lower cortisol levels as well as be taken post workout to replenish lost muscle glycogen from the workout.

Hope this helps buddy.

that really helped a lot, thanks bignbuff :) Cuz thats exactly what happened, my friend told me "carbs make you fat", and i started getting paranoid about eating any carbs

user34566548717114
10-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by derekmac
Ketogenic diets are proof positive that fat can be burned without the presence of carbohydrates. Of course, on a carbohydrate limiting diet, your body uses ketones (fat) and protein to give itself energy.

On another matter, diets that allow no carbohydrates can be dangerous and cause massive amounts of muscle loss, in additon to a rapid drop in fat stores.

bump

CARBS ARE IMPORTANT!!!!!!!! EAT THEM and workout a little extra if your really worried

Agent_J
10-04-2003, 04:09 PM
lol, ok thanks dvv :D

imperfectly_lou
10-04-2003, 07:29 PM
No one nutrient makes you fat.

Protein has 4cals per gram
Carbs have 4cals per gram
Fat has 9 cals per gram

It is excess calories that make you fat. As long as you burn equal to or more cals than you consume daily, you will not get fat.

Of course, depending on your goals and workouts, you may need more or less carbs than the average person but the simple answer to your question is carbs are not evil or the enemy!