PDA

View Full Version : Eating at maintenance is the hardest

Silencespeaks
06-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to vent a bit and see if anyone can relate to eating at maintenance. I've been lifting almost four years and am happy with my body now. Just want to maintain but have trouble eating at maintenance because my appetite is much larger. So I end up maintaining for a while and then going up a few lbs (vacations, holidays, or just generally not sticking to my cals) and then dieting down a few lbs again. So basically just yo-yoing in a 5 lb range or so.

Cutting is much easier because then I'm getting results from my effort. I can't cut long though because I reach my desired leanness pretty quickly within a few weeks so then it's back to maintenance. Maintaining is much harder because it feels like I'm cutting because my appetite is much larger.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is aiming for maintenance and can relate.

Mikeez0
06-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Hello,
Try to count overall daily calories via MFP, for example.
Don't stress over macros, just weight or estimate. TBH, with healthy eating habits you won't be lacking of protein by the way.
Try stick to more calorie dense foods instead of volume, to make your stomach smaller and you won't be always hungry after some weeks.
Instead of huge rice portions, take some slices of bread, swap breast for beef, and so on.

Mrpb
06-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Maintaining is much harder because it feels like I'm cutting because my appetite is much larger.

You're either not eating enough and/or you're hungry because of dietary choices.

Factors that cause people to feel hungry: not eating enough fiber, not enough food volume, not enough protein.

unplugged
06-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Haha I dunno how long it's been since i've actually eaten at maintenance as I am always either lean bulking slowly or shredding. I am always trying to get bigger or leaner so always in surplus or deficit haha

gbullock32
06-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Given food labels are not 100% accurate, tracking is susceptible to human error, your TDEE fluctuates daily, weight fluctuates daily.... yeah, managing to be completely accurate on maintenance intake is going to be pretty hard.

Silencespeaks
06-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone! It's not a tracking issue but a wanting to eat more issue lol. Yes I think getting in more fiber and protein will help with satiety.

desslok
06-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone! It's not a tracking issue but a wanting to eat more issue lol. Yes I think getting in more fiber and protein will help with satiety.

If you are a habitual snacker, find stuff thats low cal and filling. Ie air popped popcorn, fibrous ceggies like celery and carrots, etc.

blue9steel
06-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a combination of poor food choices (too calorie dense, not satisfying enough) and a bad mindset (not seeing maintenance as a worthwhile goal compared to bulking or cutting).

ErikTheElectric
06-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Sounds like..

1. You need to learn about food choices.
2. You need to stop placing so much focus on your body.

AdamWW
06-03-2017, 11:17 PM
I fail to see the issue with hovering within a 5 pound bodyweight range indefinitely if you've reached a build you're happy with... sounds pretty perfect if you ask me...

Hell, if I was 40-50lb heavier and at least relatively lean, i'd probably do exactly that: just eat intuitively and track nothing at all... just make reasonable food choices based on what I know already about food and nutrition, and then if I started getting a touch softer than I prefer being, cut back a tiny bit here and there or just replace some of my starchy carbs with more veggies until I get back to where I wanna be...

Heisman2
06-03-2017, 11:56 PM
What is your body fat percentage? If it is fairly low that may make it quite difficult to maintain.

Mrpb
06-04-2017, 12:41 AM
It's not a tracking issue but a wanting to eat more issue lol.

They can be related though. If you're not tracking you might be undereating.

If you're tracking you can slowly increase calories without gaining weight as the NEAT, EAT and TEF can slowly increase on higher calories.

If you are a habitual snacker, find stuff thats low cal and filling. Ie air popped popcorn, fibrous ceggies like celery and carrots, etc.

Good tip ^.

Rabbitjb
06-04-2017, 12:44 AM
Yeah it sucks, particularly with hormonal effects on hunger over the month.

Constant vigilance

I'm impressed you find returning to cutting easy..I've been maintaining for years but want to lose 10lbs to improve my deadhang pull ups ...I know what to do, and how to do it but struggle finding the motivation in the moment to obsess enough about it (and I've never stopped tracking so it shouldn't be a huge leap)

Budjola
06-04-2017, 01:33 AM
bowl of salad and cabbage with every meal helps me while maintaining, big volume so you feel full yet low kcal. also drinking apple vinegar through the day seems to help also

TheEternalCut
06-04-2017, 05:53 AM
I don't find any of them particularly hard, but if I had to choose, probably (lean) bulking is the most difficult mentally.

For some reason, my body seems to think that since I am eating over maintenance, the flood gates have been opened and it's party time in my tummy. Have to maintain discipline to not finish off the PB jar.

Silencespeaks
06-04-2017, 07:48 AM
Thanks everyone! Very helpful responses thank you!

My body fat is probably low twenties visually (not DEXA standards) on this chart, so not low or difficult to maintain.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/80/ea/3e/80ea3ee3f2579c40b6662aeda9694f10.jpg

I track daily and ballpark guesstimate the portions, used to weigh everything and be meticulous for a couple of years but now am more relaxed about it. Ballpark counting works fine for me to manage my weight as long as I stay within my cal range to maintain or cut as needed.

It's just that I want to eat more lol. I'm not actually hungry either, just like food and would like to be able to eat a lot more cals. I remember back when I first started counting and weighing a few years ago I was very surprised at how quickly you reach your cal target.

I can totally understand how regular people without knowledge of cals and just eating to desire get fat. I'm in good shape but have to constantly hold back to stay there.

AdamWW
06-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Sounds like you just have a big appetite... as do many of us.

chamelious
06-05-2017, 12:27 AM
In a similar position. I find it much easier through the week; What i do is eat as little as i can to get by during my working day, which leaves me with basically whatever i want to eat for my main evening meal/dessert, which always follows my workout.

Mentally speaking it is a bit harder when "results" come much much slower, but as someone else said above, it doesn't sound like you actually have a problem, really.

WitYoChestBoa
06-05-2017, 12:32 AM
Just wanted to vent a bit and see if anyone can relate to eating at maintenance. I've been lifting almost four years and am happy with my body now. Just want to maintain but have trouble eating at maintenance because my appetite is much larger. So I end up maintaining for a while and then going up a few lbs (vacations, holidays, or just generally not sticking to my cals) and then dieting down a few lbs again. So basically just yo-yoing in a 5 lb range or so.

Cutting is much easier because then I'm getting results from my effort. I can't cut long though because I reach my desired leanness pretty quickly within a few weeks so then it's back to maintenance. Maintaining is much harder because it feels like I'm cutting because my appetite is much larger.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is aiming for maintenance and can relate.
I know exactly how you feel bro. It feels like your cutting but without the results lol chit sucks.

katya422
06-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Relate.

Think I look like the 24%/26%, but DEXA says 29%. :(

not eating = not eating...this is simple - no means no

eating = want to eat all the food

And sometimes I still do that idiotic thing where I eat something stupid and then just mentally blow off the entire day...hello lost weekend.

I totally know better too.

If I ever get where I want to be I envision basically dieting 5 days a week so I can take the weekend off. Still should track though so that doesn't get out of hand.

Silencespeaks
06-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Relate.

Think I look like the 24%/26%, but DEXA says 29%. :(

not eating = not eating...this is simple - no means no

eating = want to eat all the food

And sometimes I still do that idiotic thing where I eat something stupid and then just mentally blow off the entire day...hello lost weekend.

I totally know better too.

If I ever get where I want to be I envision basically dieting 5 days a week so I can take the weekend off. Still should track though so that doesn't get out of hand.

Thanks I like that idea of weekdays lower cals and weekends higher cals.

Yes I think DEXA is always higher than the visual charts because DEXA also includes visceral fat and not just subcutaneous fat. I did DEXA a couple of years ago and total bf was 23.3% (back then my weight was too low because I had been sick, my weight and bf are higher now). For comparison Omron BIA was 18.5% the same day so about 5% lower. I know Omron is frowned upon around here but I've found it to be pretty consistent and pretty similar to the visual chart bf ranges, I think I was about in the 18% range back then on the visual chart I posted.

irishman301
06-05-2017, 10:42 AM
I actually find maintaining pretty easy, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I have fell in love with jiujitsu 7 years ago, and I train 5 days a week. That s*** burns a lot of calories!

I generally eat the same thing every day, but if I'm really craving a Ben n Jerrys ice cream or something, then I'll just eat a whole pint! Or if my friends wanna go out to eat or something, then I just go and eat a huge meal.

But most days I just eat the same thing, which is 3 meals that I really like a lot. So even when I'm "on point", I still really like my 3 meals.

I recommend finding a cardio source that you love to do so much that you actually get addicted to it. Dirt biking is another one!

AdamWW
06-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Thanks I like that idea of weekdays lower cals and weekends higher cals.

Yes I think DEXA is always higher than the visual charts because DEXA also includes visceral fat and not just subcutaneous fat. I did DEXA a couple of years ago and total bf was 23.3% (back then my weight was too low because I had been sick, my weight and bf are higher now). For comparison Omron BIA was 18.5% the same day so about 5% lower. I know Omron is frowned upon around here but I've found it to be pretty consistent and pretty similar to the visual chart bf ranges, I think I was about in the 18% range back then on the visual chart I posted.

There is no scan that will give you 100% accuracy... the only way to know is an autopsy. Several people have made YouTube videos showing various people who get DEXA scans and their outcomes are shocking: some people will read 7% and then another person who looks MUCH leaner will read 10%... so even then, not perfect by any means.

That being said, i believe of guidelines for what constitutes a 'healthy' bodyfat % are based on underwater weighing or DEXA, but I could be wrong. That healthy range for men is usually between 8-19% or so, I think... maybe up to 20%. Females it is quite a bit higher for obvious reasons.

That being said, the number really doesn't matter as much as how you look and feel about it in general, as well as how you perform. People love throwing around arbitrary numbers because being in single-digits just sounds... I don't know... impressive to some people.

Anyway, the point i'm trying to make is that focusing too much on numbers and devaluing how important your overall health, fitness, and happiness is is not a good idea.

Don't chase a number.