PDA

View Full Version : Rashy Forehead Reaction to Protein Powder

MachineMan384
05-27-2017, 03:38 AM
Hey all, so I had been bulking by including two to three 24 gram servings of Optimum Nutrition protein powder consumed mixed with milk and a protein bar and some additional glasses of milk. I had been doing fine with this, went from 144 to 165 lbs (current weight). But then I suddenly started suffering a rather dry, itchy, rashy forehead. This is after months of consuming it like this BTW. It just suddenly happened. It took a bit to make the connection that maybe it was the protein powder (mostly suggestions from Mom).

So I stopped consuming both the protein powder and the protein bars (as they have whey in them as well) and the redness and itching has mostly subsided. So it seems I did develop some kind of negative reaction. I also am wondering if the milk was playing a role as well, as the reaction seemed to be taking more time to go away as I had continued drinking milk while having stopped the protein powder and bar. I since stopped the milk just in case. I was wondering if I developed some lactose intolerance or something? I am intended to re-start the milk in small amounts in a week or two to see if it was doing anything, but just was wondering if anyone has ever heard of anything like this? The milk amount BTW was about five glasses of 2% milk, so not like GOMAD or anything like that.

AnTrnMagicHands
05-27-2017, 04:18 AM
Acne is a common side effect of a high protein diet. Also maybe you should try hydrolized isolates. I am lactose intolerant, and have allergic reactions (of sorts), and therefore I take isolates like Dymatized ISO 100. My friend switched to plant-based protein, and it helped with his acne. Try around.

MmmWatermelon
05-27-2017, 06:04 AM
Of course I don't know for sure, but if you've been consuming milk/cheese your whole life and never had an issue before this @ 33yo. I'm going to say it's most definitely not the Optimum Nutrition protein. However, I would suggest, while on a bulk especially, to try to not rely on 3 scoops of protein to hit your macro (which I'm guessing is probably around 150-160g a day) consuming whole foods for the majority of your protein would be ideal. (Nuts, Salmon, Greek yogurt, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, etc..)

MachineMan384
05-27-2017, 07:11 AM
[QUOTE=AnTrnMagicHands;1506218771]Acne is a common side effect of a high protein diet. Also maybe you should try hydrolized isolates. I am lactose intolerant, and have allergic reactions (of sorts), and therefore I take isolates like Dymatized ISO 100. My friend switched to plant

Thanks, I don't think it was acne though. This was just the skin becoming red, itchy, and flaky, not acne like.

MachineMan384
05-27-2017, 07:14 AM
Of course I don't know for sure, but if you've been consuming milk/cheese your whole life and never had an issue before this @ 33yo. I'm going to say it's most definitely not the Optimum Nutrition protein. However, I would suggest, while on a bulk especially, to try to not rely on 3 scoops of protein to hit your macro (which I'm guessing is probably around 150-160g a day) consuming whole foods for the majority of your protein would be ideal. (Nuts, Salmon, Greek yogurt, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, etc..)

Well actually, I for the most part have not consumed milk and cheese for most of my life. I never drank milk, have only consumed ice cream in smaller portions for years, I hate melted cheese so no cheeseburgers and not huge amounts of pizza, etc...so to the degree I have consumed dairy, it has for years been in small amounts. I was wondering if maybe suddenly increasing it caused a negative reaction.

I agree on relying more on whole foods for the protein. The protein isn't really the issue, so much as the calories needed. It is harder to consume the needed calories if you can't drink some milk. I could never eat cottage cheese as I find that disgusting (same as with melted cheese).

Mrpb
05-27-2017, 07:27 AM
Try an isolate from a different brand. MyProtein gets high ratings.

Heisman2
05-27-2017, 04:57 PM
What you are describing sounds like seborrheic dermatitis, and that can possibly be triggered to an extent by food allergies I would imagine. Lactose intolerance alone should not cause this as that is not an allergy, rather it is a lack of an enzyme that causes lactose to move through your GI track and potentially causing bloating, gas, diarrhea, cramping, etc. I would add dairy back in slowly and see what happens. You can rely more on peanut butter/olive oil if in need of calories elsewhere.

MachineMan384
05-28-2017, 01:13 AM
What you are describing sounds like seborrheic dermatitis, and that can possibly be triggered to an extent by food allergies I would imagine. Lactose intolerance alone should not cause this as that is not an allergy, rather it is a lack of an enzyme that causes lactose to move through your GI track and potentially causing bloating, gas, diarrhea, cramping, etc. I would add dairy back in slowly and see what happens. You can rely more on peanut butter/olive oil if in need of calories elsewhere.

I see, thank you for the information.

MachineMan384
05-28-2017, 01:14 AM
Try an isolate from a different brand. MyProtein gets high ratings.

Will look into it.

okayest
05-28-2017, 06:31 AM
Did you start wearing a hat or new hat? It could be contact dermatitis.

bayrider
05-28-2017, 07:44 AM
I can relate to the rash. Mine is a combination of protein and exposure to sun. I'm fine all winter but my chest breaks out in small spots with significant exposure to sun. I don't consume over 50 gram of protein daily from a shake, most of my protein comes from food and this controls the issue.

MachineMan384
05-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Did you start wearing a hat or new hat? It could be contact dermatitis.

Nope, no hat. Have been working in a machine shop for about six months now, so maybe something there? But the thing is that the redness really declined with ending the protein powder.