PDA

View Full Version : Under my calorie goal

amag1122
05-25-2017, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty amateur when it comes down to the science of nutrition. I dont know what i'm doing wrong or what I can do differently. I need advice please.

I don't necessarily see it as a problem but I'm sure there are things I can do differently.

FYI: I'm trying to lose 25lbs.

Calorie goal: 1200
I always hit close to 1,000 and some calories. Under by 160 calories.

Macro: 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat

I always go over protein by 12+ grams. Under carbs by 1 gram. Under fat by 20 grams.

Breakfast: 1 Flapjacked pancake, 1 cup original milkadamia milk with espresso, 1 truvia
Snack: Oikos triple zero greek yogurt-banana creme flavor
Lunch: Chicken breast, steamed green beans, 0.5 cup of brown rice
Snack: brown rice cake with a little seed butter
dinner: Same as lunch

Am I doing okay? Advice. Is it okay to be under calorie goal?

Ghawk21
05-25-2017, 08:40 AM
1200 calories is already really low. Where did you get this number from?

amag1122
05-25-2017, 08:42 AM
1200 calories is already really low. Where did you get this number from?

myfitnesspal

Ghawk21
05-25-2017, 08:47 AM
Use an online TDEE calculator and find your calories that way instead. If its the same so be it but I would hope for some extra calories. Don't use % based macros either. 0.8g/lb for protein, 0.4-0.5g/lb fat. Fill the rest with carbs. With your percentages you're already consuming very low amounts of fat annnnnnd you're coming up short of that number. Low fat can mess up hormones.

Giant_Killer
05-25-2017, 08:53 AM
1200 is profoundly low, where do you go from there when you hit a sticking point? I can see that being highly likely with a goal of 25 lbs.

Mind sharing your stats? Ht/Wt/BF%/Sex/Activity Level

myfitnesspal has it's flaws, it's a very broad spectrum app...you probably put in 2 lbs/week I'm assuming and it spit this out?

iifym.com has some great calculators

juggernaut74ia
05-25-2017, 09:01 AM
I'm pretty amateur when it comes down to the science of nutrition. I dont know what i'm doing wrong or what I can do differently. I need advice please.

I don't necessarily see it as a problem but I'm sure there are things I can do differently.

I always go over protein by 12+ grams. Under carbs by 1 gram. Under fat by 20 grams.

Breakfast: 1 Flapjacked pancake, 1 cup original milkadamia milk with espresso, 1 truvia

What is your actual current height & weight?

How many days have you been doing this "plan" thus far?

amag1122
05-25-2017, 09:08 AM
1200 is profoundly low, where do you go from there when you hit a sticking point? I can see that being highly likely with a goal of 25 lbs.

Mind sharing your stats? Ht/Wt/BF%/Sex/Activity Level

myfitnesspal has it's flaws, it's a very broad spectrum app...you probably put in 2 lbs/week I'm assuming and it spit this out?

iifym.com has some great calculators

I honestly don't know my body fat.

I'm 5'7. 156lbs. I do yoga about 3-4 times a week. I sometimes go to the gym when I don't do yoga. Sometimes I go to the gym right after yoga. All in all i workout about 4-6 times a week. (cardio, some weights)

I would say my biggest problem is me obsessing about the scale. In high school I weighed about 148lbs. I gained 20 lbs after HS lost it to how much I weigh now (156lbs) but I lost that weight without even realizing. NOW i'm more conscious of what I eat and care about having an exercise routine. I would say I FEEL progress but still not where I want to be. Not confident enough to be in a bikini. I want to see more progress. I have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food. I'm scared to eat too much.

amag1122
05-25-2017, 09:13 AM
What is your actual current height & weight?

How many days have you been doing this "plan" thus far?

I posted my weight and height in another post. I feel like i've been eating "clean" for overa
year now. I feel pretty stagnant at this point.

That "plan" has been adjusted. I used to eat eggs with two slices of turkey bacon, a slice of ezekial toast and seed butter for breakfast. I was doing that for a year. Now with the the pancakes I started doing that a month ago.

Mikeez0
05-25-2017, 10:04 AM
I posted my weight and height in another post. I feel like i've been eating "clean" for overa
year now. I feel pretty stagnant at this point.

That "plan" has been adjusted. I used to eat eggs with two slices of turkey bacon, a slice of ezekial toast and seed butter for breakfast. I was doing that for a year. Now with the the pancakes I started doing that a month ago.
Start bulking, please. Your weight is not at that point where you want to lose weight.
1200 calories is extremely low. 1 day won't hurt, but if you are going to do it for months straight you will regret and hate yourself for that decision. Start lean bulk as fast as your mind become normal.

Ghawk21
05-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Start bulking, please. Your weight is not at that point where you want to lose weight.
1200 calories is extremely low. 1 day won't hurt, but if you are going to do it for months straight you will regret and hate yourself for that decision. Start lean bulk as fast as your mind become normal.
I think OP is a girl so that weight is healthy enough to cut. Seriously though OP use an online calculator to get a proper calorie total. You want to cut weight with as many calories as possible so you have room to make adjustments. The lower you start the less room you have when you start to plateau.

amag1122
05-25-2017, 10:38 AM
I think OP is a girl so that weight is healthy enough to cut. Seriously though OP use an online calculator to get a proper calorie total. You want to cut weight with as many calories as possible so you have room to make adjustments. The lower you start the less room you have when you start to plateau.

Yes I am a woman.

Do you mind helping me? Im going on different sites to do the TDEE blah blah. I want to be as accurate as possible, they mention things I have no clue about. lol

Ghawk21
05-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Yes I am a woman.

Do you mind helping me? Im going on different sites to do the TDEE blah blah. I want to be as accurate as possible, they mention things I have no clue about. lol

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Check out this sticky, it should provide all the information you need.

amag1122
05-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Check out this sticky, it should provide all the information you need.

My TDEE is: 1955 based on IIFYM and according to the link you just sent me i'm supposed to deduct 500 calories in order to lose weight. Therefore my daily calorie intake should be 1455.

Protein: .8g per lbs is 124.8
Fat: .3 g per lbs is 46.8
Carbs: The rest of my calories should be carbs. THIS I dont understand. I find this to be incredibly vague.

Is this info accurate?

Ghawk21
05-25-2017, 11:30 AM
My TDEE is: 1955 based on IIFYM and according to the link you just sent me i'm supposed to deduct 500 calories in order to lose weight. Therefore my daily calorie intake should be 1455.

Protein: .8g per lbs is 124.8
Fat: .3 g per lbs is 46.8
Carbs: The rest of my calories should be carbs. THIS I dont understand. I find this to be incredibly vague.

Is this info accurate?
Okay so,

protein you have 125 grams x 4calories/gram=500 calories
Fats, I would go 0.4= 62gramsx 9calories/gram=558 calories
Carbs= the rest so, 1455-500-558= 397/4 calories/gram =~100grams

Protein: 125g
Fat:62g
Carbs 100g

amag1122
05-25-2017, 11:43 AM
okay so,

protein you have 125 grams x 4calories/gram=500 calories
fats, i would go 0.4= 62gramsx 9calories/gram=558 calories
carbs= the rest so, 1455-500-558= 397/4 calories/gram =~100grams

protein: 125g
fat:62g
carbs 100g

thank you!!!

Giant_Killer
05-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Now that looks like a healthier approach. Myfitnesspal is great for some, but the recommendations are so broad.

Would you say you're a sedentary person, or active, or somewhere in between? "Most days".

I would even start at maintenance or slightly less, 1800 really. Try that for 2 weeks and DON'T weigh yourself during that time. I've been a victim of the scale before also.

I have also implemented carb cycling before, for example with higher carb days 100g on the days you do yoga. On sedentary days maybe 75-100 or even zero, and so on. I've had my best success with carb cycling and keto (in combination with fasted cardio and intermittent fasting (IF), but I confess I'm not as familiar with female responses to these strategies.

Oh, and get the physique you want before you turn 30! Lol, it becomes more difficult.

amag1122
05-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Now that looks like a healthier approach. Myfitnesspal is great for some, but the recommendations are so broad.

Would you say you're a sedentary person, or active, or somewhere in between? "Most days".

I would even start at maintenance or slightly less, 1800 really. Try that for 2 weeks and DON'T weigh yourself during that time. I've been a victim of the scale before also.

I have also implemented carb cycling before, for example with higher carb days 100g on the days you do yoga. On sedentary days maybe 75-100 or even zero, and so on. I've had my best success with carb cycling and keto (in combination with fasted cardio and intermittent fasting (IF), but I confess I'm not as familiar with female responses to these strategies.

Oh, and get the physique you want before you turn 30! Lol, it becomes more difficult.

LOL!!! I'm tryin!

I work a desk job. So for 8 hours a day M-F I am for the most part sitting. But after work I dont go home and sleep. I either go to yoga or gym or errands. I'm pretty lax about the gym where I wont spend 3 hours.

1800 cals?!!!!

ErikTheElectric
05-25-2017, 07:41 PM

You're overthinking things tremendously. Other than needing to get more vegetables and fruit, I see nothing wrong here.

Giant_Killer
05-25-2017, 07:56 PM
1800 cals?!!!!

1800 low carb high protein is the lowest we will put a patient on (a.k.a. healthy)

Don't be afraid to start high and adjust. If you start low, it will make you absolutely miserable when you adjust and you'll quit, it's human nature.

amag1122
05-26-2017, 05:39 AM
1800 low carb high protein is the lowest we will put a patient on (a.k.a. healthy)

Don't be afraid to start high and adjust. If you start low, it will make you absolutely miserable when you adjust and you'll quit, it's human nature.

I don't even know how to consume that many calories. I'm having trouble just meeting 1200. What do you suggest? I prefer 3 solid meals and snacks in between.

gbullock32
05-26-2017, 06:24 AM
I don't even know how to consume that many calories. I'm having trouble just meeting 1200. What do you suggest? I prefer 3 solid meals and snacks in between.More of literally any food you like.

vsportsguy
05-26-2017, 07:06 AM
I don't even know how to consume that many calories. I'm having trouble just meeting 1200. What do you suggest? I prefer 3 solid meals and snacks in between.
Well you said you gained 20 lbs after high school right? You don't put on 20 lbs by eating less than 1800 calories...

I see all the signs of yoyo dieting obsession and an unhealthy relationship with food. Make healthy, sustainable lifestyle changes and try to take your mind off of food, the scale, and dieting. I've had similar problems. I would find it easy to diet on 1200 or less calories and then binge on 4000+ calories, but I had trouble sticking to a middle ground. Find your middle ground.

Giant_Killer
05-26-2017, 07:33 AM

Usually healthy fats, nuts avocado coconut oil etc, very calorie dense. Do what feels natural though.

amag1122
05-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Well you said you gained 20 lbs after high school right? You don't put on 20 lbs by eating less than 1800 calories...

I see all the signs of yoyo dieting obsession and an unhealthy relationship with food. Make healthy, sustainable lifestyle changes and try to take your mind off of food, the scale, and dieting. I've had similar problems. I would find it easy to diet on 1200 or less calories and then binge on 4000+ calories, but I had trouble sticking to a middle ground. Find your middle ground.

I gained 20 lbs for being a fatass.

I lost 12lbs because I was less of a fatass. For a year ive been more conscious of what I eat and work out more.

You are right, for years I have been yoyo dieting. Only because I didnt actually know much about healthy eating and the science of it all. I have to find my middle ground. Though in comparison to years prior I feel more secure, I just have to make adjustments (i.e. increase my calorie intake) I feel good. I feel progress and a difference since I started clean eating. I just feel stagnant now. But thanks to you guys Im gaining a better understanding on eating and whatnot.

amag1122
05-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Usually healthy fats, nuts avocado coconut oil etc, very calorie dense. Do what feels natural though.

You are incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!