PDA

View Full Version : Gas / Bloat / Stomach Pain

Caruso92
05-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Just curious guys how much fiber to you all get in... I am beginning to notice that I may not be able to tolerate fiber like I used to. Going to the bathroom is fine however majority of the time in the late afternoon (before lifting) I feel so gassy , bloated and have pressure when I bend over in my stomach. if I try to take a pre workout which I hardly do anymore , forget about it, I cant even lift that's how bad I bloat up. Now I would love to eat less carbs however due to my body type and the fact that I want to gain size I eat a lot more than your average person does. I normally eat oats, whole wheat pasta, used to eat brown rice but now I eat jasmine due to fiber , sweet potatoes (starting red potatoes ) all good sources. I am beginning to think maybe I need to eat more white carbs in hope I will not gain fat? for example more white pasta.. Has anyone experienced this as I think it really is affecting my daily life ? I am going to do a trial and error diet for example no oatmeal today and lower fiber and see how I feel. Anyone experience this? I've gone to read that maybe from so much fiber my body isn't even absorbing its nutrients ?! Any advice or personal experience would be great.

Vandeman17
05-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Been in the same boat. Early morning workout and then by afternoon I would get a solid bloat and gas pretty much every day. I tried adding a subtracting different foods to see if I could locate the culprit. For the past week or so I have actually reduced my protein intake a bit and also incorporated a standing desk and it has helped a lot. Could be just me but I think the combination has helped my body keep everything moving and digesting.

gbullock32
05-17-2017, 07:54 AM
You do realize it's calories that help you gain, not carbs in and of themselves; eat more fat. That might help, and it will cut back on fiber easily.

jb_alphamale
05-17-2017, 08:00 AM
What about whey? You don't mention anything about lactose. Lactose intolerance? It happens to me and I switched to isolated whey. No issues anymore.

Just curious guys how much fiber to you all get in... I am beginning to notice that I may not be able to tolerate fiber like I used to. Going to the bathroom is fine however majority of the time in the late afternoon (before lifting) I feel so gassy , bloated and have pressure when I bend over in my stomach. if I try to take a pre workout which I hardly do anymore , forget about it, I cant even lift that's how bad I bloat up. Now I would love to eat less carbs however due to my body type and the fact that I want to gain size I eat a lot more than your average person does. I normally eat oats, whole wheat pasta, used to eat brown rice but now I eat jasmine due to fiber , sweet potatoes (starting red potatoes ) all good sources. I am beginning to think maybe I need to eat more white carbs in hope I will not gain fat? for example more white pasta.. Has anyone experienced this as I think it really is affecting my daily life ? I am going to do a trial and error diet for example no oatmeal today and lower fiber and see how I feel. Anyone experience this? I've gone to read that maybe from so much fiber my body isn't even absorbing its nutrients ?! Any advice or personal experience would be great.

Wisathome
05-17-2017, 08:08 AM
I have the same problem. I truly believe that eating carbs like rice or pasta with a protein source ( think spaghetti and meat sauce, or chicken and rice) causes bloating more than anything else. That and drinking water with your meal will contribute to bloating in my experience. Last week I had grilled chicken and sautéed sweet potatoes as one of my meals all week and everyday after eating my stomach was just wrecked. Didn't have to go #2, but brb farting every 2 mins, brb is this what being pregnant feels like?

Caruso92
05-17-2017, 08:48 AM
just doesn't make sense, I feel by eating healthy i'm legit destroying my stomach! I will try to eliminate certain foods since I tend to eat the same foods almost everyday.. maybe I need to really switch it up and cut back on fiber asap...

MmmWatermelon
05-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Ima just chime in...

Water is crucial. Honestly be drinking ~gallon a day. I found water especially effective first thing in the AM, have a bottle next to ur bed and drink the whole thing before u even leave ur bedroom

dashdash89
05-17-2017, 10:15 AM
Any recent significant changes to diet? Probiotics or use of antibiotics?

Jesse_l_g
05-17-2017, 10:37 AM
just doesn't make sense, I feel by eating healthy i'm legit destroying my stomach! I will try to eliminate certain foods since I tend to eat the same foods almost everyday.. maybe I need to really switch it up and cut back on fiber asap...

Define eating healthy. This means different things to different people. How much fiber could you be getting? I doubt its that. If you aren't eating lots of vegetables and some fermented foods start. How much processed wheat pasta are you eating? Is it the conventional stuff they spray with glyphosate right before harvest?

Anyway. You are probably eating things you shouldn't be. Have you ever tried an elimination diet to see what foods affect you negatively? I highly recommend everyone goes on a diet like this every year or two. IMO the best book and gold standard elimination diet is "A Simple Guide to the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol". That book can change your life forever. srs. A few months of that should get your stomach sorted out and as you reintroduce foods you will know right away if they are a problem for you.

I would also suggest digestive aids. Lemon juice in a glass of water before your meals. Ginger and turmeric are great. Digestive bitters. HCL supplements and enzymes. You don't need to do all that of course.

Caruso92
05-17-2017, 12:09 PM
well for example I would eat something like this
breakfast- 3 whole eggs 3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal with a banana and blueberry's
mid snack - peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat / recently started eating a ***e non fat greeek yogurt instead
lunch - either 6 ounces chicken or ground turkey etc with jasmine rice or sweet potato or red potatoe w/ tossed salad
after lunch/pre gym snack - tuna on either 3 brown rice cakes or a whole wheat pita
gym
after gym - ON protein shake
dinner - either salmon, or beef with either white pasta, white rice..
before bed - depending on time of dinner sometimes I will drink lactaid milk for a slow protein source or a Greek yogurt if I did not have one earlier that day as a snack

now that I look at it I do see a lot of processed foods but I have a body type that easily drops weight/mass if I do not eat a certain amount of calories. I will say this I am in the midst of rehanging my diet as I am not happy and will probably see a allergist to rule out if I have any food allergy's. I will look into the ginger aspect as I have seen many recipes for it and lemons. I do take a multi vitamin and a probiotic daily..

dashdash89
05-17-2017, 02:05 PM
I do take a multi vitamin and a probiotic daily..

If it were me, i'd start with removing the probiotic for a week or two and see if this helps with the GI issues

Caruso92
05-17-2017, 05:58 PM
If it were me, i'd start with removing the probiotic for a week or two and see if this helps with the GI issues
I may try that...
what's crazy is today I did not eat oatmeal, or whole wheat bread. I had jasmine rice for lunch and am having white pasta for dinner and I don't have the crazy gas pain. this morning I tried to eat a whole wheat bagel and felt a sharp pain and instantly had to drink 3 waters with my bagel and was dehydrated all day. I think the fiber is totally unnecessary. what's crazy is I want to eat cleaner and have these foods but idk if I can. im gonna take a few days away from fiber in huge amounts. still have fiber but not like I used to. I will avoid whole wheat bread and oatmeal and see how I feel. Does this sound normal to anyone lol im confused...

Heisman2
05-17-2017, 06:31 PM
How many grams of fiber do you get daily? That is a vital question to answer to be able to guess if fiber intake relates to your symptoms.

ErikTheElectric
05-17-2017, 09:42 PM
I get roughly 8090g per day without many problems. Consider getting in more fluid/H20 OP.