PDA

View Full Version : Just started lifting, need dietary tips

warhawk373
05-09-2017, 09:31 AM
I'm unsure what to do here. I have very little muscle so far which means my body won't burn much fat. But I think my fat percentage is around 15%, maybe a little more. I've been reading a lot on the difference between cutting and bulking and I realized that since I'm just starting out, it really doesn't matter so much because I'm going to gain muscle no matter what. However, I am still unsure whether I should be eating more, less, or the same amount of calories I burn. If I eat more calories I will gain weight, and I think as long as it's healthy food then it will be muscle and not fat. However I feel like I shouldn't gain weight, like I need to lose weight first.
I'm not really into being as big as possible, because I don't want to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. I just want a more lean, muscular look, not too lean though lol.

Please don't judge xD, I promise I'm not an idiot and I do realize how much work and dedication this stuff takes, I just wanted to explain kind of what my end goal is so you can help me understand what kind of diet I should be looking at.

One last thing, I watched a video where a guy was explaining how the more muscle you have, the faster you can burn fat. So should I just eat more calories, gain muscle, then after a year or two of lifting, start to cut?

dipatel13
05-09-2017, 09:36 AM
what is your weight and height?
what lifting routine are you following?

warhawk373
05-09-2017, 10:46 AM
what is your weight and height?
what lifting routine are you following?
5' 7" 150lbs

Right now I'm just doing the same routine as the person I go with which is 2 days for legs, chest, and arms. And 1 day of back and other muscles that we missed the other two days. It's mainly exercises like squats, bench press, dead lift. Then smaller exercises like chin-ups, dumbbell exercises (press, curl, etc.), abs, and using some of the machines for exercises such as rows.

I'm all for kicking it up though once my muscles get used to working. Right now they are always sore for a couple days after a workout, which I know is a good thing because it signals growth, but it also means I need longer to recover before doing more. So once that soreness starts to become unnoticeable I'll probably start doing more.

dipatel13
05-09-2017, 10:50 AM
pick a better routine:
All Pro's Beginner Routine (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933)
Stronglifts 5x5 (http://www.stronglifts.com)
Fierce 5 (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631)
Starting Strength (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224)

warhawk373
05-09-2017, 11:56 AM
pick a better routine

My routine is basically the exact same as Fierce 5 except the workouts don't alternate days every other week (see example) and some exercises are substituted but still work the same muscles.

Example: Fierce 5
Mon- workout A
Wed- workout B
Fri- workout A

Mon- workout B
Wed- workout A
Fri - workout B

My routine
Mon- A
Wed- B
Fri - A

Mon- A
Wed- B
Fri- A

gesler0811
05-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Right now I'm just doing the same routine as the person I go with which is 2 days for legs, chest, and arms. And 1 day of back and other muscles that we missed the other two days.

My routine is basically the exact same as Fierce 5 except the workouts don't alternate days every other week (see example) and some exercises are substituted but still work the same muscles.

No offense, but your routine is nothing like Fierce 5, other than the superficial similarity that they both alternate A and B workouts.

You're working chest twice as much as back, which is for all intents and purposes, a recipe for injury and imbalances down the road. Fierce 5's exercise selection is carefully constructed in such a way that the back receives the proper volume to counterbalance the chest stuff. In general, a 2:1 pull-to-push ratio is commonly recommended. I would seriously consider getting on a proven novice routine that takes into account things that newer lifters would never even think about, let alone account for.

If you're a novice going to the gym 3x week, you might as well do a fullbody 3x week program. My two cents, anyway.

gesler0811
05-09-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm not really into being as big as possible, because I don't want to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

A common enough concern, but unfounded. I don't think you have to worry about this happening :)

Merc009
05-09-2017, 12:33 PM
I always kept it simple

Eat 2000 calories of any food as long as you are getting 0.8g of protein per lb of weight

Do these exercises

Bench
Squat
Deadlift
Shoulder Press
Curls
Lat pulldown

Pick a weight you can do 10 times (easily)

then add 5lbs every 1-2 weeks

example

week 1: squat 65lbs
week 2: squat 70lbs
week 3 : squat 70lbs
week 4 squat 75lbs

Never go below previous weights
Always aim to go higher

ErikTheElectric
05-09-2017, 06:48 PM
I'm unsure what to do here. I have very little muscle so far which means my body won't burn much fat. But I think my fat percentage is around 15%, maybe a little more. I've been reading a lot on the difference between cutting and bulking and I realized that since I'm just starting out, it really doesn't matter so much because I'm going to gain muscle no matter what. However, I am still unsure whether I should be eating more, less, or the same amount of calories I burn. If I eat more calories I will gain weight, and I think as long as it's healthy food then it will be muscle and not fat. However I feel like I shouldn't gain weight, like I need to lose weight first.
I'm not really into being as big as possible, because I don't want to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. I just want a more lean, muscular look, not too lean though lol.

Please don't judge xD, I promise I'm not an idiot and I do realize how much work and dedication this stuff takes, I just wanted to explain kind of what my end goal is so you can help me understand what kind of diet I should be looking at.

One last thing, I watched a video where a guy was explaining how the more muscle you have, the faster you can burn fat. So should I just eat more calories, gain muscle, then after a year or two of lifting, start to cut?

Wat?

Disregard whoever stated this OP.