PDA

View Full Version : Current state of the NBA

daxtrader
05-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Has the NBA been solved?

Seems like teams just need to find a decent player that can penetrate and 4 others that can chuck 3's at a high rate. You have players like draymond chucking 4 or 5 three's a game. Anyone familiar with 90's basketball knows the three point shot was a rarity compared to today. Defense doesn't seem to matter. It's which team can chuck 3's at a higher rate. The traditional big man position is officially dead. It's actually a detriment to have a big man that doesn't shoot 3's. Take a look at the Cavs, Rockets, and of course the Warriors. These teams don't really play the traditional 5 position. This is why teams that are supposed to be good on paper, like the Clippers, always struggle and are first round exits every year.

Teams should just start drafting players that can dribble a little and shoot three's. Forget the centers. Lol @ players like Andre Drummond, Dwight, etc. Useless in today's league.

HoustonMiscer
05-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Even just as far back as the 2000's 3's weren't as glorified as they are now. It was more about the mid range game back then

nikeoneplatinum
05-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Yes it has been solved, in order to win, you need all the good players.

Bolz
05-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Teams in the 90's should have been shooting more 3's, period. It's like they didn't realize that shooting 33% from 3 is the same as shooting 50% from 2, math not even once.

Just because something isn't the "way it was back in my day" doesn't mean that it's not as good. The things you say don't matter still actually do matter, but it's correct that 3 point shooting is the most important thing to have on your team.

lsiberian
05-09-2017, 04:54 AM
The Bulls won titles off their 3 point shooting. Hodges, Paxson and Kerr torched teams for doubling Jordan. The Lakers did the same thing.

criminal_manne
05-09-2017, 05:15 AM
Agree it's time to scrap the three point shot. It's not difficult enough for today's players to warrant being an additional point. That or move it back at least.

JizzShooter
05-09-2017, 05:36 AM
The Bulls won titles off their 3 point shooting. Hodges, Paxson and Kerr torched teams for doubling Jordan. The Lakers did the same thing.

So did the Rockets to a degree.

Of course Olajuwon raping and pillaging 60 win teams left right and centre was the main factor. But right there behind it were the outside threats.

BusterMudd
05-09-2017, 05:41 AM
Agree it's time to scrap the three point shot. It's not difficult enough for today's players to warrant being an additional point. That or move it back at least.

Move it back, definitely.

And then make the half-court shot worth 4 points.

midcoastking33
05-09-2017, 06:18 AM
don't forget traveling doesn't exist

fakeskipbayless
05-09-2017, 06:24 AM
nba is boring and awfull
not ure how anyone truly enjoys it

sooby
05-09-2017, 08:01 AM
it's also important to have guys who you can plug in to multiple positions. For example a guy like Draymond would be invaluable to any team. He can play and defend pretty much any position. How many other players do you know like this?

I would say specifically guys who can defend, stretch the floor, play multiple positions are GOAT role players. Creating shots/playmaking are added bonuses. Being a rim protector like Draymond is an even bigger added bonus. He literally fits the bill to a T.

Defense still matters in this game a lot. If you can shut down the three, you can destroy the offense of the team that relies on it if they don't have any other weapons. Case and point is when Cleveland won the championship. In 3/4 games they held GSW to under 100 points. If you can guard and switch on most PnRs and have the length/athleticism to contest this is also invaluable as well as being able to sprint back in transition. I would argue that defense is more important than ever otherwise you'll have teams like Houston/GSW scoring 130-140 on you every single night. That was extremely rare and unheard of in the late 90's to mid 2000s. It is especially important if you want to win a championship.

Many people think that because GSW has a high powered offense that they must be subpar defensively. They were 2nd in rebounding and 2nd in defensive rating this season, lol. They are no slouch defensively. They can literally switch every player on defense aside from Curry if you have Curry/Klay/Iggy/Durant/Draymond or something like that.

Analytics also has a lot to do with the shift as well as well as kids honing their 3 point skills.

BusterMudd
05-09-2017, 11:29 AM
don't forget traveling doesn't exist

Oh, jesus, don't get me started...

Just once I would love to see an NBA game where the refs called travelling like they do in high school intramural competition. Today's "superstars" would wind up with more turnovers than points.

I blame Patrick Ewing.

RobParks2M
05-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Lmfao the edited Lebron clip gets me errytime