PDA

View Full Version : When Paul Pierce retires the old era is over - True NBA fans get this

Cntempt4theWeak
04-17-2017, 03:49 AM
Pierce is the last of the old era real ni66as, gentlemen. Except maybe Dirk you can make a case, after carrying a team of washed up role players against 3 future hall of famers in their prime to a title, but that's another argument and he'd only be honorary real ni66a.

No matter your opinion of Pierce, his retirement is a big deal to any longtime followers of the game, because it means the era of the real ni66as is done. Pierce is the last of his kind, and his kind represented the what the NBA could be at its best.

Gone are the days of Kobe the killer who befriended no one on the court or off including his own teammates, of Garnett the psychopath, of Bruce Bowen the dirty bastard (is there anyone remotely close to being a Bowen type player in the league today?), of that whole physical Kings team that would've beaten the lakers if the series wasn't rigged, of the Rasheed Wallace/Sabonis/Stoudemire (Damon) and Pippen-led Blazers. Remember that Piston team that stopped the lakers 4peat through sheer defensive will, an exhausting battle of attrition?

Who is today's Iverson, a 6'0 guy who relentlessly drove the lane and routinely took a beating at a time when most teams had 300lb centers because they knew they had to in order to stand a chance against the lakers and having to guard Shaq? No one. While on the subject of Shaq, who is today's Ben Wallace, a guy half a foot shorter and 80lbs lighter than Shaq and yet able to contain him by sheer effort? No one, draymond is most comparable and he would get eaten alive by the big diesel. Who is today's Gary Payton, a physical point guard who took pride in shutting down the other team's best backcourt player at all costs, trash talking all game, trying to gain any sliver of an edge over you?

"If I knock you down, I'm not picking you up." - MJ

Kobe took the torch happily from Jordan and carried the mentality on to the next era. Everyone took after him, whether consciously or not. Many teams genuinely hated each other, and you could see it on the court. No one would flinch, no one would flop or feign injury in the face of their bitter foes. You had stuff going on like Rick Fox literally running to the tunnel after being ejected and coming out of the other end and grabbing the Kings player Doug Christie in a head lock and beating him in A PRESEASON GAME.

What rivalry is there today, where you can feel the hatred for the two teams? None has the same feel, not even the Warriors-Cavs and that's probably the closest we have.

And this era who do we have? LeFlop James, Harden the ballerina, Wade the Oscar winner, Curry who can't take getting roughed up off the ball, D Rose worried about his health after he retires, Blake Griffin getting hit by point guards going around his screen and flailing his arms, Dwight Howard who looks like he's got some laughing disorder and never amounted to half of what he could have been. We got 260lb centers like Mo Speights leading the league in offensive fouls drawn last year thanks to his fine flopping skills. We got players joking around laughing during games, and whenever a fight does break out its over some pissy thing about their own individual pride and never rooted in an "us vs them" mentality - no camaraderie, no manly tribe mentality.

Yes gents, Pierce marks the end of this glorious era of past. Regardless of whether you even followed him his career - I know many west coasters probably didn't since people tend to follow their own conference - you should watch for his last game this season. You will witness, live, the extinction of the real ni66as, the end of the old era.

It will hit me in the feels when I see it later this playoffs.

Vitamin0
04-17-2017, 04:32 AM
You got Vince, Manu, and Ron Artest still. I'd also throw Jamal Crawford, and Richard Jefferson in there.

but yeah, not too many old heads left.

Cntempt4theWeak
04-17-2017, 05:01 AM
You got Vince, Manu, and Ron Artest still. I'd also throw Jamal Crawford, and Richard Jefferson in there.

Yeah a few others left but none of those players were both the face of a franchise and ring winners. Manu was amazing, I believe he would've gone down as better than Harden if he had his own team if you look at his numbers in his prime and consider his defense, but he was always overshadowed of course by Duncan. Vince never won a ring.

Those players are like the accidents of the era, still dwindling and the last to fizzle away.

But the essence of that time period dies with Pierce, the last franchise player and Larry O'Brien trophy winner of the old era.

ItsWhatIDo
04-17-2017, 05:10 AM

I see no Artest only World Peace

sooby
04-17-2017, 05:16 AM
them days of Kobe, Duncan, Iverson, Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Carter, McGrady, Webber, Kidd, Nash, Shaq, Dirk,Francis, Marbury, Marion, Baron Davis, Ben Wallace, Arenas, Mourning on them All-Star teams .... hnggggg

GotNext
04-17-2017, 05:19 AM
https://i.imgur.com/l9XHnu1.png

Only player left from that era that matters is Dirk, and he will play at least one more season, maybe two. Maybe Vince as well for his highlight reel.

Vitamin0
04-17-2017, 05:20 AM
them days of Kobe, Duncan, Iverson, Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Carter, McGrady, Webber, Kidd, Nash, Shaq, Dirk,Francis, Marbury, Marion, Baron Davis, Ben Wallace, Arenas, Mourning on them All-Star teams .... hnggggg

Down period in the NBA they said

DeshaunWatson
04-17-2017, 09:10 AM

Right in the feels. Now we have Divas leading the league.

JUGGERNAUT1333
04-17-2017, 09:29 AM
All accurate info OP. I agree.

Iguodala
04-17-2017, 09:37 AM
I agree, but alot of the softness in the NBA has to do with malice at the palace and the NBA cracking in down. There is also very little rivalry because of how big free agency is now. The biggest rivalry is the Wizards wearing all black. And lebron making RIP cookies at a Halloween party lol.

SUTTER3
04-17-2017, 09:43 AM
The NBA sure has changed a lot over the last few years. It's all about that 3-ball now. And efficient offensively. I think it probably makes the game more attractive to the causal fan, as the game is more open and fast paced now, as well as higher scoring. But it sure isn't the same as it used to be for more hardcore fans.

nikonD70s
04-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Pierced and dirk are the last stars in my opinion. Vince and manu are ehh.

This era is just fast pace, 3's and no defense. Back then the focus was on defense more. Piston and the big 4. Prolly one if not the best defensive team ever. U guys remember when the only team that was run and gun was phoenix and golden state? Phoenix was good prolly had the best offensive team. but played no defense thats why they never won anything. I would say the suns with prime nash are better then this golden state team srs.

Most team were even out with stars. Way more competitive. Physical and fights. If this guy gets blocked or whatever the other guy would come back at him and show him whats up. Nba now is straight up trash. All about money now. Not very competitive like before. Just lol @ people thinking bron going to the finals every year wity his stack teamas if its some godly thing. Even the prime laker and spurs couldnt make it to the finals every year cuz the west was to stack. This is how weak thenba is now. Even the old aged spurs won 65 games last season. Most wins in franchise history i think

ClevageGobbler
04-17-2017, 06:51 PM

Chauncey Billups was pretty tough as well. One of the most poised play makers I've seen huge reason why the Pistons were on a tear for a few years

nvrstopworking
04-17-2017, 11:17 PM
Westbrook is definitely a throwback player. So is Dray. Those guys aren't there to make friends... they're there to kick azz. And IT2 reminds me a lot of A.I. In his prime.

Dirk's lucky that things came together and he won that one title.... because he was getting ROASTED before that by fans and critics on the reg. A lot of people forget that.

biggquis
04-17-2017, 11:55 PM
Right in the feels. Now we have Divas leading the league.

Divas have led the league for a very long time

biggquis
04-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Westbrook is definitely a throwback player. So is Dray. Those guys aren't there to make friends... they're there to kick azz. And IT2 reminds me a lot of A.I. In his prime.

Dirk's lucky that things came together and he won that one title.... because he was getting ROASTED before that by fans and critics on the reg. A lot of people forget that.

I used to hate Draymond, but now I appreciate him. He's the player that you hate, but would love if he played on your team.

woody19
04-18-2017, 04:51 AM
Old school basketball is Memphis

Clunky offense
Chuckin terrible mid range shots
No rhythm

Bad basketball, oh but muh defense...

sooby
04-18-2017, 06:14 AM
Chauncey Billups was pretty tough as well. One of the most poised play makers I've seen huge reason why the Pistons were on a tear for a few years

for sure big fan of Chauncey, great floor general and had a really high IQ for the game.

CestLaVida
04-18-2017, 06:22 AM
Prime VC > prime Pierce

Btw Bowen was cancer, be should've been suspended from playing permanently

SoutheastBeast1
04-18-2017, 06:24 AM
Felt like the old era ended with Kobe and Duncan to be honest. Pierce is stretching it but I won't hate. He's borderline

lsiberian
04-18-2017, 07:15 AM
San Antonio-Memphis has some old guys going at it still.

Vitamin0
04-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Prime VC > prime Pierce

Btw Bowen was cancer, be should've been suspended from playing permanently

Age 23 and location Australia.

sooby
04-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Age 23 and location Australia.

he isn't really wrong tho

but yea lol at age 23 and australia

1800_Cool_Guy
04-18-2017, 09:10 AM
No because Dirk Nowinski and Vince Carter are still in the league

Trapstar4.4
04-18-2017, 10:06 AM

I used to hate Draymond, but now I appreciate him. He's the player that you hate, but would love if he played on your team.

yeah most def. the only friends on that court are their team. and even sometimes that is in question if sht gets heated the wrong way out there lol
and dray is your guy if hes on your team. i cant even hate on that. we dont tend to care about the feelings of fans from other teams

Messiahtype
04-18-2017, 10:07 AM
As someone that used to watch religiously, you could see the game getting softer and softer.

Look at the 2001 all stars. I could mix and match at least 5 teams out of these players that would destroy any 5 from today you put on the court.
East:
AI
McGrady
Carter
Grant Hill
Zo
Allen
Houston
The real Steph
Stack
Mase
Big Dog
Latrell
Antonio Davis
Dikembe
Theo Ratliff

West:
Kidd
Kobe
C Webb
TD
Shaq
Finley
The Glove
KG
Mailman
McDyess
Sheed
Robinson
Vlade

Trapstar4.4
04-18-2017, 10:10 AM
nostalgic names of peace

SompletelyCober
04-18-2017, 10:17 AM
https://i.imgur.com/l9XHnu1.png

Only player left from that era that matters is Dirk, and he will play at least one more season, maybe two. Maybe Vince as well for his highlight reel.

Good riddance when this bitch retires

http://i.imgur.com/0c4VdSS.gif

tekkenbruh
04-23-2017, 01:04 AM
lf3K-S9jDdY

WestAfrica
04-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Ain't no one care about PP's garbage ass.

Maxamanius
04-23-2017, 08:28 AM

It's only hng because of that nostalgic feel man, just wait 15 years from now and you'll be saying hng to this modern times all stars lebron, curry, durant, westbrook, etc..

Alkosh
04-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Remember that Piston team that stopped the lakers 4peat through sheer defensive will, an exhausting battle of attrition.

4 peat?? When the fluck did this happen brah