PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my new plan

mattpjj
03-16-2017, 05:28 AM
Just looking for a bit of a general critique/advice on my new plan.

For the last year I've been doing the Body Coach plans (Joe Wicks). I know there are big split opinions on him, but at the end of the day he helped me get back on track and my bodyfat down to ~15%. I'm now looking to take control myself though and track my macros and plan my own workouts.

I'm 30 years old, weigh 65kgs and am 173cm tall. I am planning on working out 4-5 days a week. Having spent ages reading all the stickies etc on this forum over the last few days, I've worked out that I think my TDEE is approx. 2,100-2,200, and I'm going to monitor it.

Having followed the process in emma-leigh's thread, I've therefore come up with the following macros:

Protein: 169g (2.6g per kg of body weight)
Fat: 65g (1g per kg)
Carbs: 210g (remaining calories after fat and protein deducted).

Does that seem reasonable to someone who knows more than I do?!

Also, a big aspect to the Body Coach plan is that you only have the carbs post-workout, is this a good idea to follow?

Lastly, should me total calorie intake be the same on rest days and workout days?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Have added a pic of my before & after which shows my current state on the right.

juggernaut74ia
03-16-2017, 05:38 AM
Just looking for a bit of a general critique/advice on my new plan.

For the last year I've been doing the Body Coach plans (Joe Wicks). I know there are big split opinions on him, but at the end of the day he helped me get back on track and my bodyfat down to ~15%. I'm now looking to take control myself though and track my macros and plan my own workouts.

I'm 30 years old, weigh 65kgs and am 173cm tall. I am planning on working out 4-5 days a week. Having spent ages reading all the stickies etc on this forum over the last few days, I've worked out that I think my TDEE is approx. 2,100-2,200, and I'm going to monitor it.

Having followed the process in emma-leigh's thread, I've therefore come up with the following macros:

Protein: 169g (2.6g per kg of body weight)
Fat: 65g (1g per kg)
Carbs: 137g (remaining calories after fat and protein deducted).

Does that seem reasonable to someone who knows more than I do?!

Also, a big aspect to the Body Coach plan is that you only have the carbs post-workout, is this a good idea to follow?

Lastly, should me total calorie intake be the same on rest days and workout days?

Thanks for any help.

What are your goals?

You're already very light at only 65kg...and your macros only add up to ~1800 calories. Surely you're not trying to lose more weight??

mattpjj
03-16-2017, 05:47 AM
What are your goals?

You're already very light at only 65kg...and your macros only add up to ~1800 calories. Surely you're not trying to lose more weight??
Sorry my mistake, I put the wrong carbs figure in, I've amended it now so that my calories add up to 2100.

My goal is to start adding some muscle now. I'm starting now to read around workout plans etc to do so.

My bodyfat is around 15% I think, but I'm thinking better now to try and add some muscle as if my bodyfat gets much lower as I am, I'll look very skinny. I'm fairly small framed though so think my current weight of 65kg makes me just look 'normal' i.e. not skinny, but not muscular etc either.

juggernaut74ia
03-16-2017, 05:51 AM
Sorry my mistake, I put the wrong carbs figure in, I've amended it now so that my calories add up to 2100.

My goal is to start adding some muscle now. I'm starting now to read around workout plans etc to do so.

My bodyfat is around 15% I think, but I'm thinking better now to try and add some muscle as if my bodyfat gets much lower as I am, I'll look very skinny. I'm fairly small framed though so think my current weight of 65kg makes me just look 'normal' i.e. not skinny, but not muscular etc either.

It's quite likely you'll need a few hundred more calories in total to add mass. I started with about the same stats and 8 years older and needed about 2400-2500 to add mass at around 1 kg per month (which is a good rate to shoot for). But ultimately just pick a reasonable number and try it out for a few weeks, gauge your progresss (or lack thereof), and make adjustments as necessary.

mattpjj
03-16-2017, 06:15 AM
It's quite likely you'll need a few hundred more calories in total to add mass. I started with about the same stats and 8 years older and needed about 2400-2500 to add mass at around 1 kg per month (which is a good rate to shoot for). But ultimately just pick a reasonable number and try it out for a few weeks, gauge your progresss (or lack thereof), and make adjustments as necessary.

Ah OK thanks. I've attached a pic of my before & after which shows my current state on the right, does my plan still sound reasonable given how I look? (or does that make absolutely no difference?!)

mattpjj
03-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Can anyone else add anything to this? I'm particularly interested in my last 2 questions, a) whether my calorie intake should be the same on training and rest days, and b) if it's a good idea to save carbs for post-workout meals.

mjf100215
03-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Can anyone else add anything to this? I'm particularly interested in my last 2 questions, a) whether my calorie intake should be the same on training and rest days, and b) if it's a good idea to save carbs for post-workout meals.

The same daily. People often try to reduce calories on rest days. Those are the days you're building muscle. Why would you reduce calories when you're trying to repair?

Do whatever works for your schedule, preferences, etc.

mattpjj
03-16-2017, 01:26 PM
The same daily. People often try to reduce calories on rest days. Those are the days you're building muscle. Why would you reduce calories when you're trying to repair?

Do whatever works for your schedule, preferences, etc.
OK makes sense. I guess I'm still influenced by the Body Coach stuff I was following whereby changing what I ate between rest and training days was a major part of the plan.