PDA

View Full Version : Exceeding Calories & Macros When Bulking?

Logan3036
03-05-2017, 03:56 PM
I've been keeping track of my nutrition intake, and I have some questions about exceeding my macro and calorie limits. I'm 19 years old, 5'9" and 140 lbs with 10.5% body fat. My goal is to gain 10 pounds in mass by July, achieving the goal through exercise and eating.
My target calorie intake is 2,700 calories a day, with my macros being 50% carbs, 28% protein, 22% fat. My meal plan gives me 6-8 meals a day, eating mostly real and healthy foods.
My main concern is on some days my meal plan puts me above my target calorie intake, on one day by about 500 calories. My macros sometimes exceed their targets as well, most notably my carbs by 58 grams on one day. The macros don't go above the target by any more than 10 grams for the most part though, so I feel like that's fine.
My question is if occasionally (1-3 times a week) hitting considerably above my targeted calorie intake, and occasionally considerably above some of my macro intakes would be harmful or unhealthy in relation to my goals of gaining muscle mass? The food I eat isn't processed or unhealthy at all, so the calories won't be bad calories, if that makes sense. Thanks.

ErikTheElectric
03-05-2017, 07:29 PM
1. Less meal plans.
2. At your age, height and stats.. don't necessarily overthink this.
3. Who cares if you "exceed your calories". You're aiming to gain strength..

AlexSays
06-20-2017, 08:09 AM
1. Less meal plans.
2. At your age, height and stats.. don't necessarily overthink this.
3. Who cares if you "exceed your calories". You're aiming to gain strength..

4. forget macro ratios, calculate macros based on minimums proportional to your bodymass
5. occasionally exceeding your calorie target is not going to make a huge deal of difference
6. exceeding your calorie limit by 600 kcal 3x a week could lead to excess fat gain, but as above don't overthink, if you're putting on fat too quickly re-assess and re-adjust your calories and your habits

AdamWW
06-20-2017, 08:10 AM
4. forget macro ratios, calculate macros based on minimums proportional to your bodymass
5. occasionally exceeding your calorie target is not going to make a huge deal of difference
6. exceeding your calorie limit by 600 kcal 3x a week could lead to excess fat gain, but as above don't overthink, if you're putting on fat too quickly re-assess and re-adjust your calories and your habits

7. bump threads that are 3-4 months old

AlexSays
06-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Damn, lol I'm from England and the date format makes it look like 3rd of May, not the 5th of March

Lazerdragons
06-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Do as the guys above stated and don;t overthink things OP... It doesn't matter at all if you exceed your macros and calories, as long as your progressing in the gym and getting stronger keep eating whatever you want.