PDA

View Full Version : Recovery and nutrition for a young athlete that runs four 80 minute matches a week?

sevva888
03-04-2017, 12:57 PM
I am putting my 19 year old nephew on WS4SB. The big issue I have is his recovery and nutrition. I don't know how much of a caloric surplus I should put him on because he runs four (relatively) low intensity matches a week (he both plays rugby for his school and referees).

Should he still be able to make gains if he eats enough? What caloric surplus would you recommend , also would it be wise to use 1.5 g of protein per pound of bw?

Tucane
03-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Figuring out his TDEE calories will require trial and error. Start out quite high and be consistent with calories initally, that way you can adjust to make him gain weight.

Simple as that.

1.5g/lb as a standard is likely excessive for bulking even with a 19-year old boy's hormonal profile.

WTF is WS4SB?

sevva888
03-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Figuring out his TDEE calories will require trial and error. Start out quite high and be consistent with calories initally, that way you can adjust to make him gain weight.

Simple as that.

1.5g/lb as a standard is likely excessive for bulking even with a 19-year old boy's hormonal profile.

WTF is WS4SB?

https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1/

The Westside programme by Joe DeFranco.

I am leaning towards putting him on a 400 calorie surplus.

ErikTheElectric
03-04-2017, 07:55 PM
With his activity level it's going to be difficult to gauge his expenditure, especially at his age. Just an FYI OP.

EjnarKolinkar
03-04-2017, 07:56 PM
I am putting my 19 year old nephew on WS4SB.

Have you discussed this with his coach, do they have a strength and conditioning trainer? Did you get his input?

The big issue I have is his recovery and nutrition. I don't know how much of a caloric surplus I should put him on because he runs four (relatively) low intensity matches a week (he both plays rugby for his school and referees).

I'd assume he already eats to meet up with needs from Rugby? Or is he plummeting in weight in season?

I am leaning towards putting him on a 400 calorie surplus.

So he is tracking his macros now?

sevva888
03-05-2017, 04:53 AM
Have you discussed this with his coach, do they have a strength and conditioning trainer? Did you get his input?

I'd assume he already eats to meet up with needs from Rugby? Or is he plummeting in weight in season?

So he is tracking his macros now?

He's plummeting in weight in season. I have spoken to his coach and convinced him that he needs to pack on some mass. He knows his maintenance calories yeah. I think he's eating at a bit of a surplus but his activity level causes him to still lose weight.

So, it's going to need some trial and error, I think. Playing rugby he's burning around 600 calories an hour for his weight, so it's going to be on those days where he'll need more carbs.