PDA

View Full Version : Best plan to lose fat

Amit9302
03-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I have been hitting the gym regularly for about a year now. Initially it was to lose weight and I did mostly HIIT and weights occasionally and lost about 20 lbs. I wasn't skinny but I wasn't fat

Since the last couple of months I have taken weight training seriously but my nutrition isn't the best it could be right now (I started taking Whey though - this being the second week, so don't know if it counts!). But, although I am gaining muscle I feel bloated in some parts (like the face and thighs) and don't know what I'm doing wrong

Could someone help me with a optimum workout to lose fat and gain muscle?

P.S - Height - 17 cm (5 ft 10 inches)
weight - 158 lbs (72 kg)

Even if my nutrition isn't the best, I make sure I don't eat fat and try to limit my calorie intake, so I can't be getting fat because I eat a lot or because I'm not eating right!

My workouts mainly revolve around a single set of muscles followed by cardio (biceps, back, chest, triceps &shoulders, legs)

spradish
03-03-2017, 06:57 PM
If you want to lose fat, you need to eat in a calorie deficit. That means eating fewer calories than you burn throughout the course of the day. You can do that by eating less, moving more, or a combination. However, it takes less time to refrain from eating a pile of French fries than it does to burn off the equivalent number of calories so it is easier to get most of your calorie deficit from simply eating less.

Look through this thread for advice on how to calculate your calorie needs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165843261

Junsuiakai
03-03-2017, 08:32 PM
Hey Amit, couple of things. Fat won't make you fat. Too much of it and the wrong type will. Your body needs some fats in it to function.

Secondly, I would recommend trying the Shortcut to Shred program, if you can spare 6 days a week in the gym for 6 weeks. Sounds like you have a similar build to me. With 3 days left, I have shed 5% bodyfat and look more tned around my chest, shoulders and arms. The nutrition plan in the program is vital though and must be followed.

Only thing I agree with, was going to neg you but decided to just highlight only useful thing you said.. 6 days a week seriously?

dipatel13
03-03-2017, 10:25 PM
At those stats, I wouldn't try and lose weight as you are already kind of low for your height. If you're still new to lifting, you should be following a proper novice plan(Fierce 5, All pros, Starting strength, stronglifts) and eating around maintenance. You could make the most of your noob gains and try and build some muscle because you are probably lacking there.

gomil
03-04-2017, 03:28 PM
If your diet not being on point refers to a daily intake of mainly of carbohydrates and fat, you might actually be in skinny fat territory. This is a common build among ethnicities (especially Subcontinent folks; using it as an example since it's an abundant one) that are sedentary and/or consume next to no protein. I hate to be the one to tell you this but unless you've been lifting relatively heavy stuff, you've probably not gained any muscle at all and are still experiencing noob gains.

Eating at maintenance for a while whilst lifting on a decent full body program followed by a cut or getting into a small to moderate deficit right away will probably fix the situation after a couple of months. If I'd have to guess, you probably have about 10 lb to lose. Try to eat a balanced diet with around 90 g protein and at least 55 g fat everyday and start tracking calories accurately.