PDA

View Full Version : elevated liver enzymes

thomasbrady72
03-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Hey folks,

just got back from getting my blood test results, everything is in pretty good shape, including cholesterol and blood glucose, vitamins etc

However, my AST level is 46 (less then 40 is considered healthy)
and my ALT level is 41 (less then 41 is considered healthy)

I don't drink nor take any tylanol or any medications.

When I got this blood test I DID workout that morning AND the day before, I also ate 7 hrs prior.

Should I be concerned? what could be the cause of this?

Thanks!

hendrixfreak70
03-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Sounds like the work out may have done it. Also, if you're on any cholesterol medicine it will do it too. Doesn't seem like you would be on cholesterol medicine, though.

juggernaut74ia
03-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Hey folks,

just got back from getting my blood test results, everything is in pretty good shape, including cholesterol and blood glucose, vitamins etc

When I got this blood test I DID workout that morning AND the day before, I also ate 7 hrs prior.

Thanks!

Did you consider asking the physician who ran the tests?

thomasbrady72
03-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Did you consider asking the physician who ran the tests?

She just mentioned the alcohol, the medications (like tylanol), powders (lol?) and too much fat stored in the liver are potential causes

My weights pretty healthy, as I'm relatively lean currently @210lbs, (this is coming from a cut 2 yrs ago from 300 to 190, then I lean bulked back up to 210 currently)

So I just didn't understand, how does working out affect liver enzymes?

saligia
03-03-2017, 01:49 PM
My liver enzymes were elevated when my gallbladder tried to kill me.

Routine bloodwork or do you have symptoms that prompted the labs?

Znik
03-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Did you tell your physician that you exercised that morning and the day before , and I assume have a high protein intake ?

It's pointless to do the standard liver function tests if you have a daily high protein intake and lifted for up to ~7 days before the test.

Five out of eight studied clinical chemistry parameters (AST, ALT, LD, CK and myoglobin) increased significantly after exercise (P < 0.01) and remained increased for at least 7 days postexercise. Bilirubin, γGT and ALP remained within the normal range.
Conclusion

The liver function parameters, AST and ALT, were significantly increased for at least 7 days after the exercise. In addition, LD and, in particular, CK and myoglobin showed highly elevated levels. These findings highlight the importance of imposing restrictions on weightlifting prior to and during clinical studies. Intensive muscular exercise, e.g. weightlifting, should also be considered as a cause of asymptomatic elevations of liver function tests in daily clinical practice.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2125.2007.03001.x/full

thomasbrady72
03-03-2017, 01:54 PM
My liver enzymes were elevated when my gallbladder tried to kill me.

Routine bloodwork or do you have symptoms that prompted the labs?

routine bloodwork, just a checkup and they said they'd give me a blood test.

After getting my results they gave me another blood test, but I just did a heavy back workout this morning lol

ironwill2008
03-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Hey folks,

Thanks!

Have this conversation with your attending physician.