PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a HIGH TDEE experiences want to help?

lvsteven
03-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Hey everyone,
36 years old
Male
170 lb
15% bodyfat

Definitely not new by any means to any of this but if you look at my post history, I've been trying to determine TDEE for practically forever.

I am a sales person.
According to every fitness device and ****meter app I've used, I will do between 7-10 miles a day of "steps."

I also lift 5 days a week and the 2 off days I'll hit low intensity cardio to keep active.

the latest fitness device says 4000 calories a day TDEE

This seems wacky, right?
Or does it?

1. I have a bmr of around 1750
2. My workouts are currently high volume and high intensity hypertrophy type.
3. I do all that walking at work.

So are these high end numbers realistic?

I'd imagine a margin of error usually on a fitness band but the charge 2 Band has a 24/7 heart rate monitor on it too.

Maybe a 15-20% error rate, still that's 3200 calories tdee.

this makes "slow clean bulking" really hard to find the numbers for.

juggernaut74ia
03-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Hey everyone,
36 years old
Male
170 lb
15% bodyfat

Definitely not new by any means to any of this but if you look at my post history, I've been trying to determine TDEE for practically forever.

I am a sales person.
According to every fitness device and ****meter app I've used, I will do between 7-10 miles a day of "steps."

I also lift 5 days a week and the 2 off days I'll hit low intensity cardio to keep active.

the latest fitness device says 4000 calories a day TDEE

This seems wacky, right?
Or does it?

1. I have a bmr of around 1750
2. My workouts are currently high volume and high intensity hypertrophy type.
3. I do all that walking at work.

So are these high end numbers realistic?

I'd imagine a margin of error usually on a fitness band but the charge 2 Band has a 24/7 heart rate monitor on it too.

Maybe a 15-20% error rate, still that's 3200 calories tdee.

this makes "slow clean bulking" really hard to find the numbers for.

Don't put your faith into gadgets or online calculators.

Pick a reasonable calorie budget. Stick to it for 4-6 weeks. Assess the change in your weight. Adjust as appropriate based on that.

That said, yes, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that you burn upwards of 3500 calories per day if you're as active as you say.

dipatel13
03-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Don't put your faith into gadgets or online calculators.

Pick a reasonable calorie budget. Stick to it for 4-6 weeks. Assess the change in your weight. Adjust as appropriate based on that.

That said, yes, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that you burn upwards of 3500 calories per day if you're as active as you say.

Bolded for more emphasis OP. Stop worrying about calculators and focus on real world data.

lmcfreekz
03-03-2017, 01:58 PM
I highly doubt you require 4000kcal/day based on your stats... your BMR sounds on point but a 2x multiple and then some to give your TDEE - I've never heard of that.

I'm in the gym for 2 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week and I'm working on the basis of a 1.7x BMR to get my TDEE. And for a little extra perspective, I'm 220lbs, 6'4" and around 13% BF, so if 4,000kcal fuels that and with my gym activity considered, then you'll likely be fine on a similar multiplier which would put your circa 3,000kcal... at least I think that's a reasonable number to start with and track... 1.75x BMR is the highest multiplier I see used to estimate TDEE and that's for the most active...

EjnarKolinkar
03-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Estimate a calorie level based on your 18 years of eating as an adult. You should be able to look at typical things you eat, and enter them into a calorie tracker in addition to estimator information.

Pick a moderate and reasonable goal. Track progress, adjust calories every 2-4 weeks as needed to achieve goals. Be cautious not to adjust too fast/often and never really figure out what is going on.

ErikTheElectric
03-03-2017, 08:41 PM
protip: never go by the "fitness device". They are ESTIMATORS

Go by your natural hunger/fullness levels and of course.. common sense.

Mikeez0
03-03-2017, 10:32 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder624/59044624.jpg

The_cannibal
03-04-2017, 08:56 AM
I eat 4200 cals a day. That comes to about 100 lbs of groceries per week. I live about 1.5 km from the grocery store, so I need to do 2 trips to keep it manageable, or else my traps and shoulders are killing me by the time I get home.

The worse part about it is that I went from 182 lbs (at about 10-11% BF) to 161 lbs (at about 7-8% BF) in the last year. I'm not sure what my TDEE is, but I think part of my problem comes from the fact that I have an auto-immunity problem (GVHD) and it results in colitis (among other problems). I assume my body simply doesn't absorb properly all the food I eat.

aquamarine84
03-04-2017, 09:40 AM
I use my Fitbit as a guide, not a gospel. When I was a little more sedentary than I am now, it actually underestimated by 200 calories. Now it overestimates by about 100.

Is it possible? Yes, I'm a 5'2-3/4", 129lb female and have a TDEE of about 1950. So, like everyone above me, you have to experiment a little. In terms of calories, peanut butter and avocado are your best friends.