PDA

View Full Version : Night shift worker needing help with diet

colonel801
02-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Keeping the "Critique my Diet" thread in mind...here's my problem.

I work nights as a baker for Panera Bread, which means I'm surrounded all night long by stuff I'd love to just graze on as i'm burning the midnight oil. I also know that people who work 3rd shift typically suffer from sleep deprivation and are more likely to suffer from obesity, which is why i'm here. I work 6 days a week and get free food upon completing my shift.

Since I started this a week and a half ago, here has been my 24hour cycle:

6am: Get off work, go directly to the gym and do 1 hour of cardio via treadmill then 30minutes of weight training
7:30: Get home and sleep (very hungry at this point, so I'll have 2 or so spoonfulls of natty Peanut butter to put me out
3:00pm: I'll typically be awake by now, and I'll eat the meal I bring home which most days has been
Salad: 1/3 cup romaine
1/3 cup spinach
1/3 cup kale
several onions, some tomatoes, a tablespoon of: organic quinoa, corn, and green goddess dressing (60 calories per TBS)
1.75 oz of citrus pepper chicken (25g protein, 120 calories)

1/2 Sandwich on Whole Grain bread with 2 slices of ham, some lettuce, tomatoes, and onions with some mustard.
1 apple

8pm: I'll make myself a serving of oatmeal (160 calories) and from Panera i'll also bring home a cup of spinach, and a cup of strawberries that I'll blend together with some low fat yogurt (70 calories) and I'll add 1 table spoon of protein powder.

8:30pm: I'll do 1 hour of cardio at the gym via an elliptical where I can burn aprox ~420 calories in the hour

Be at work by 10 and should I get hungry throughout the night I'll snack on a fruit cup or a banana come 2 or 3 am and I make sure to drink lots of water.

Weight: 230lbs
Height: 6' 2'
22 year old M

I know everyone says you should have 6 meals or so a day, but with my schedule I just need some help on how to do this...or just advice in general.
Everything Panera has now is 100% clean - no artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, or sweeteners. I don't have enough rep power to post the link, but PB has documents on the web listing all nutrition info for its products.

Newbie here please be gentle :(

Heisman2
02-17-2017, 02:51 PM
You don't need 6 meals a day. Read more of the stickies to get a better understanding of things. How many grams of protein, carbs, and fats are you averaging? You said you've done this for 1.5 weeks, what changes have you noticed during that time?

gbullock32
02-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Keeping the "Critique my Diet" thread in mind...here's my problem...That you didn't read it?

colonel801
02-17-2017, 03:09 PM
You don't need 6 meals a day. Read more of the stickies to get a better understanding of things. How many grams of protein, carbs, and fats are you averaging? You said you've done this for 1.5 weeks, what changes have you noticed during that time?

I'm honestly a LOT more hungry...either that's because I'm burning through what I eat too fast or I'm still wanting to eat unhealthy amounts of unhealthy food. I feel like my endurace in cardio has gone up a lot, because I'll typically spend half the hour jogging and the other half walking at a brisk pace...but when it comes to weight training I do feel like I get burnt out fast than I should..Maybe i'm trying to lift too much though.

colonel801
02-17-2017, 03:10 PM
That you didn't read it?

That I can't find the right way to fit 6 meals into my day...?

gbullock32
02-17-2017, 03:17 PM
That I can't find the right way to fit 6 meals into my day...?That you did not provide TDEE, calorie/macro intake, ect... also you do not need 6 meals per day...

How To Ask For Diet Critique (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129523333)
Protein Timing (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3879660/)
Meal Timing 1 (http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5)
Meal Timing 2 (http://nutritionreviews.oxfordjournals.org/content/73/2/69)

EjnarKolinkar
02-17-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm honestly a LOT more hungry...either that's because I'm burning through what I eat too fast or I'm still wanting to eat unhealthy amounts of unhealthy food.

Dieting tends to increase perceived hunger. Look at your total cals for the 24 hour period, find ways to manage your hunger. Meal timing and frequency is something we all have to work around our schedules.

IDK what unhealthy food means to you. Do you know what you mean? If you need to make better plans to eat better meals, just do it.