PDA

View Full Version : Dredging Chicken Cal Estimate?

cctaylor311
02-14-2017, 05:18 AM
So I made some "chicken popper" essentially all evening on Saturday, anyone who has every dredged knows its a very long, messy, involved process, but the end product is worth it. My question is... how much more unhealthy does this make the chicken.

My process was as follows:

Chicken breasts diced into small squares, into a mixture of flour/sea salt, into a dredge of whole eggs, back into the flour/sea salt, and finally fried in extra virgin olive oil. After pieces were fried they were sauteed in Sweet Baby Ray's/Hotsauce/Paprikia. The work put into this is a lot more than it sounds, and I'm wondering... did I add a ton of calories with the dredging process/EVOO frying process?

desslok
02-14-2017, 06:34 AM
About 350

TommyDigital13
02-14-2017, 06:50 AM
So I made some "chicken popper" essentially all evening on Saturday, anyone who has every dredged knows its a very long, messy, involved process, but the end product is worth it. My question is... how much more unhealthy does this make the chicken.

My process was as follows:

Chicken breasts diced into small squares, into a mixture of flour/sea salt, into a dredge of whole eggs, back into the flour/sea salt, and finally fried in extra virgin olive oil. After pieces were fried they were sauteed in Sweet Baby Ray's/Hotsauce/Paprikia. The work put into this is a lot more than it sounds, and I'm wondering... did I add a ton of calories with the dredging process/EVOO frying process?

Might be long winded here but I've researched this a lot. Sure frying adds calories but it's not really what you think. First things first the oil you use is super important. EVOO is not really a great oil to fry with because of its low smoke point, and the fact that it's probably not olive oil at all . (I'm a fan of California olive ranch). When you fry at a lower temp...like you have to with evoo, you run the risk of whatever you're frying absorbing more of the oil. I use canola (which honestly I can't say is trustworthy either) but has the smoke point i need. When frying at the proper temp the food doesnt absorb as much oil and it's own juicy steam and cook the meat. You made the best choice possible with meat. I'm a wing eater, always have been always will be. But the difference between a wing and a small cube of boneless skinless chicken breast is astronomical. We stopped getting wings out...and started making boneless ones at home. The skin is really crap. In the end if we're frying chicken, the skin isnt really necessary as the breading gets crunch enough. Also way more cost effective. The only other two things i watch for is sauce and blue cheese dip. Most wing sauces are loaded with butter. We use crystal hot sauce now...we just throw a clove or 2 of minced garlic in it to bring the flavor. I'm a blue cheese hound with wings. I've found some recipies with crumbled blue cheese and greek yougurt and fat free buttermilk. It isn't health food but when you're comparing to prepared dip its light years ahead.
One more tip i'm sure youre aware of...no matter what oil you use, always use new oil. After heated it changes molecularly...we only fry maybe once a week so it doesnt really matter if i'm tossing oil after use. Consider that many restaurants don't use fresh oil.