PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Protein

amartin315
02-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I'm wondering if there's a difference between bulking and building protein levels and maintenance protein levels. Mainly, I'm hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel where I can eat cheaper and have more options. I always hear the 1g/lb of ideal body weight for protein. That's for gains right? Or is that all year round?

dipatel13
02-02-2017, 10:43 AM
.8g/lb protein is a safe minimum.

allrnder
02-02-2017, 05:16 PM
I don;t have a citation. But maintanance can be around 0.55g/lbs from memory according to Lyle McDonald. He said it in his group some years ago.

ErikTheElectric
02-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Worry about meeting your minimum and keep it simple. Even in bulking phases you'll require less than usual. More room for carbs and fat!

dimitristsapis
02-04-2017, 02:47 AM
1,1 to 1,2 gr per pound of bodyweight.

gbullock32
02-04-2017, 03:12 AM
1,1 to 1,2 gr per pound of bodyweight....is higher than needed.

EjnarKolinkar
02-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Mainly, I'm hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel where I can eat cheaper and have more options.

Sounds odd. There is no bodybuilding law that says you have to be broke, miserable and eat dull food to maintain weight?

Are you making your nutrition artificially difficult due to watching some "Hardcore" videos on the internetz? Do you think certain foods have magical properties? Is your fat goal arbitrarily low for some reason?

JamesPT
02-04-2017, 08:31 AM
I agree - 0.8g per lb of body weight as a minimum.

Protein doesn't have to be expensive. I mean there's 10g of protein in just a single bagel..

Tuna not expensive..

Tubs of protein aren't always expensive.

YouTube bodybuilding on a budget, sure you'll find something.

Bosko
02-04-2017, 08:59 AM
1,1 to 1,2 gr per pound of bodyweight.

1.1…sure…but 1.2……… you are a freakin madman…I like people like you

mdonnelly80
02-04-2017, 11:37 AM
1. It's all about caloric intake. A caloric surplus will help you put on size and neutral caloric intake will keep you at a maintenance weight. A maintenance level of calories should be balanced enough (i.e. not hacking carbs or fat too low) that allows you to continue to train hard. Your workouts might suffer if you're allotted 2500 calories per day to maintain but half of those are coming from protein.

2. Nutrient timing is the next big key. Whether I am bulking, cutting or maintaining, my largest meal of the day is post-workout and my second largest is pre-workout. I need the energy to expend in my workout and then the nutrients to recover from it. I am currently cutting down and consume 60% of my calories between these two meals.

3. Macro breakdowns are important but you will find many different studies recommending different amounts of protein and different amounts percentage break-downs. I got tired of tinkering with this so I just shoot for around 200 grams of protein per day. I chose this number because I can split it evenly throughout my meals and ensure that my body is using the protein.

4. As I stated above, you have to remember that your body can only make use of so much protein in one meal. Again, studies on this vary but I shoot for 40-50 grams per sitting. You'll find many pundits out there that recommend a much higher level of protein but that doesn't to help build muscle. Your body isn't absorbing those amino acids: they're converting them to saturated fat.

5. This is all very individualized as well. There are folks out there that like to have a higher protein intake when they're bulking or maintaining as it helps keeps them feeling full and high levels of carbs bounce their blood sugar around. And, their workouts don't suffer. Other people (like me) eating protein in moderation but keep carbs relatively high so that they can train hard. I don't body build anymore: I'm strictly a power-lifter so my major concern is building strength while maintaining and that means getting quality workouts in.

Bosko
02-04-2017, 11:47 AM
6.Don't run with scissors.

7. don't watch TV closer then 3 feet

8.lift light weight so you only get toned.

EjnarKolinkar
02-04-2017, 04:59 PM
9. Never leave a used shaker in a hot car.

10. Bacon

11. Some research links ITT OP: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139604833

ErikTheElectric
02-04-2017, 06:49 PM
12. Eat more cereal.

13. Realize that you're overthinking (and more than likely eating more than enough protein already)