PDA

View Full Version : Deficit, Carb cycling etc. Question.

Metalmank
01-26-2017, 04:50 PM
So since I've returned to the gym back in September of 2016. I started at 208-210LB. Currentlying weighing in at 191LB as of this week.

I've recently stumbled across refeed days / carb cycling and feel at a lost and that I've been doing my 'cut' incorrectly.

I'm running a strict meal plan for the next 8 to 12 weeks (Or until I hit my BF% goals) and reading about carb cycling / refeeds.. Do I need to incorporate these into my plan for optimal fat loss?

For example I was reading that you want to have a Moderate carb, Low carb and high carb / refeed day.

Example being on moderate days I would eat 200g P, 55g F, 150g C
Exampe for low would be the same amount of Pro, 55gfat and 0 carbs (Not really 0 but eating nothing but fibrous veggies)
Example of high would be same protein intake, 55g fat and 300-400g carbs (Sending you into a surplus)

Mon/Wed/Fri - Moderate
Tue/Thur/Sat - Low
Sun - refeed / high

This is just an example Im reading that I'm posting here.

Is this ideal for a first time cut or is this style of cutting more for competition / people who've ran the bulk/cut cycles for awhile? This is technically my first 'real' cut / deficit.

I did a refeed day last weekend and it definitely improved things and didn't affect my weight to much.

Anywho insight, advice, links to information would be appreciated. Thanks

dipatel13
01-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Carb cycling just complicates things and isn't necessary.

I'm not 100% certain about this, but you don't need refeeds either unless you're doing low carb like keto.

EjnarKolinkar
01-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Complicated dieting plans may have some merit, for competitive bodybuilders close to the stage.

The average lifter is ending a diet at the body fat those guys are starting the diet from. It's just not necessary to make dieting down to 10-15% BF all that complicated.

Metalmank
01-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Carb cycling just complicates things and isn't necessary.

I'm not 100% certain about this, but you don't need refeeds either unless you're doing low carb like keto.

Okay yeah. I wasn't sure if it was necessarily needed.

Complicated dieting plans may have some merit, for competitive bodybuilders close to the stage.

The average lifter is ending a diet at the body fat those guys are starting the diet from. It's just not necessary to make dieting down to 10-15% BF all that complicated.

Makes sense. I was thinking this was more for those who compete in BB comps or what not.

So basically just stick to my deficit for the next 8 to 12 weeks or until I reach my BF goaL?

irishman301
01-27-2017, 04:39 AM
So basically just stick to my deficit for the next 8 to 12 weeks or until I reach my BF goaL?

Yup, the deficit alone will shed the pounds off just fine, and you will look completely different in 12 weeks!

Ripper908
01-27-2017, 06:13 AM
I love carb cycling

I do 3 -4 days no carb and eat mostly high protein and moderate fat
Then when I start to look flat from lack of carbs I "refeed" on a high protein high carb low fat day

traditional calorie restriction doesnt do much for me and i feel like crap and extended keto without refeed days I look like ****

EjnarKolinkar
01-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Makes sense. I was thinking this was more for those who compete in BB comps or what not.

You complying with the deficit and building habits to maintain the losses after the diet are the main issues. You took of 20 already, so you have some idea how to get yourself where you need to go. If you get tired and need a break, practice maintaining that 20 pound loss. Taking off the next 5% will be harder and/or slower, but you can do it, accept that, same goes for losses after that point. Stay focused on your goals, and the basics you need to do today to achieve them.

What gets a person from 20% to the low teens is willpower and consistency. If things start getting rough, holding your ground and not backsliding into a large weight gain is a big part of eventually getting there too. So don't waste your willpower on nonsense. Use it on high return items like training, and buying and preparing good food to support yourself. Remember to endorse yourself for the progress you made, and just do not quit.

Don't confuse competition cutting advice with generic fat loss. If you want to learn more about nutrition and weight training use the advance forum search function for posts by Alan Aragon.