PDA

View Full Version : Rice Differences

oso0690
01-23-2017, 07:35 AM
What is the difference between the cheap white rice and Jasmine rice? I know Jasmine is a white rice but I'm wondering how it differs from the cheapo white.

juggernaut74ia
01-23-2017, 07:39 AM
What is the difference between the cheap white rice and Jasmine rice? I know Jasmine is a white rice but I'm wondering how it differs from the cheapo white.

Nutritionally I'm sure there's little if any difference.

It has a slightly different flavor and texture than other rice...that's about it.

Mikeez0
01-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Adding soy sauce or ketchup into cheap or expensive rice will make them both good.

Also, basmati rice is very tasty, don't know why. Def. try it out.

Domicron
01-23-2017, 08:57 AM
where are you buying rice? the difference is texture and starchiness. to me it's worth buying good rice. 3 ladies is pretty good, some of the korean or japanese sticky rices are really good...find an oriental market and buy a big bag to save some money...to me it's worth it.

Rabbitjb
01-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Basmati rice

Or long grain with wild rice mixed in it for nuttiness

Jasmine rice is a bit bleaurgh IMO

Did you know that you can cook rice in a microwave and it's pretty decent ..mind blown on that one

Domicron
01-23-2017, 09:29 AM
microwave? no thanks. you can buy a rice cooker for $20-30 bucks that churns out wonderful rice with the push of a button (after rinsing the starch). maybe it's my Chineseness, but i can't think of a reason not to own one if you eat rice regularly.

Rabbitjb
01-23-2017, 09:33 AM
microwave? no thanks. you can buy a rice cooker for $20-30 bucks that churns out wonderful rice with the push of a button (after rinsing the starch). maybe it's my Chineseness, but i can't think of a reason not to own one if you eat rice regularly.

No I know, I had a traditional upbringing with rice as a pretty central dish
And I was equally appalled by the concept

oso0690
01-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Thanks everybody. I normally buy Jasmine and it's good. I bought Basmati once and liked it a lot but pricier. I was wondering if the Long Grain Enriched Rice was basically the same as Jasmine.

I normally cook on the stovetop. Does a rice cooker give it any better of a taste? Or just more convenient?

Domicron
01-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Thanks everybody. I normally buy Jasmine and it's good. I bought Basmati once and liked it a lot but pricier. I was wondering if the Long Grain Enriched Rice was basically the same as Jasmine.

I normally cook on the stovetop. Does a rice cooker give it any better of a taste? Or just more convenient?

for me it's about convenience and not worrying about burning rice. rinse rice, press button to cook, stir the rice afterwards to keep the hard layer from forming on the bottom, enjoy.

i mean, apparently my instant pot cooks rice, though our rice cooker at home is tiny and perfect for 1-3 people.

Robosco
01-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Jasmine rice have a better aroma after cooking than regular rice.

gbullock32
01-23-2017, 03:32 PM

I normally cook on the stovetop. Does a rice cooker give it any better of a taste? Or just more convenient?Rice in a rice cooker, but use beef/chicken/vegetable broth instead of water. The taste is amazing.

ErikTheElectric
01-23-2017, 08:40 PM
The difference? Jasmine rice tastes amazing, white rice sucks.

muruku
01-24-2017, 05:22 AM
where are you buying rice? the difference is texture and starchiness. to me it's worth buying good rice. 3 ladies is pretty good, some of the korean or japanese sticky rices are really good...find an oriental market and buy a big bag to save some money...to me it's worth it.

^^ this.
it depends on what you are using it for too.
btw Jasmin rice = white rice

eg.
new crop rice is wetter and usually used for porridge.

so it does make a difference.

Robosco
01-24-2017, 05:31 AM
Fried rice and rice krispies treats are also different.