PDA

View Full Version : Will Alex Smith ever get to a SuperBowl

waytoodeep03
01-17-2017, 07:12 AM
This guy is not the QB for the Chiefs. They have weapons but need a good QB.

Should the Chiefs trade up for Deshaun Watson or go after Romo?

Vitamin0
01-17-2017, 07:14 AM
He would have if he stayed in San Fran with Jimmy H

JUGGERNAUT1333
01-17-2017, 07:19 AM
Chiefs are in a tough spot. Alex Smith plays just well enough that it's hard to justify moving on from him when you look at the other available options. Finding a quality starting QB in the NFL is very hard. Smith has no "wow" factor, but he plays safe, and he can win games. His lack of "wow" however could definitely keep them from making any Super Bowl appearances.

Drafting a rookie for competition would be the best bet IMO. If he ends up beating Smith out for the starting job, great....but if he needs to sit a year and learn, also no big deal because you have Smith to start for now.

Mumra
01-17-2017, 07:21 AM
the only Chiefs game I watched all year was the Pitt game. Smith would have thrown for 300+ and blown Pitt out if his WRs could catch at all. I don't know about the rest of the season but it didn't matter who was QB that night. their WRs are awful.

Swept
01-17-2017, 07:40 AM
You think they are SB contenders with Watson? LMAO

Never in a million years can I see Smith winning the SB, the chiefs offense is so gimmicky. They need to move on

Messiahtype
01-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Will Andy Reid ever get to a Super Bowl again?

The answer is no on both.

Postmort3m
01-17-2017, 07:45 AM
anybody can buy a ticket

HoustonMiscer
01-17-2017, 07:46 AM
You think they are SB contenders with Watson? LMAO

Never in a million years can I see Smith winning the SB, the chiefs offense is so gimmicky. They need to move on

Would you prefer them to run an offense which Alex Smith is not comfortable in? Imagine how bad he would look in an offense that isn't the offense he runs right now.

IH8RICE
01-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Will Andy Reid ever get to a Super Bowl again?

The answer is no on both.

Before the game, I continued saying I just can't trust an Andy Reid coached team in the playoffs. Besides the one super bowl stint with us, he simply cannot succeed past the divisional games.

Swept
01-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Would you prefer them to run an offense which Alex Smith is not comfortable in? Imagine how bad he would look in an offense that isn't the offense he runs right now.

I would prefer for them to cut Captain checkdown. That offense will never win chit.

I would seriously take Cutler and let Reid try to rebuild him over Alex Smith.

Belome
01-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Alex smith gives them a shot. No other available QB is better

They had a few key drops at bad times
And converted the two point but got called back on a penalty which has been the thing with the NFL this year.

They are right in the thick of it, just didn't go their way against Pitt.

biggquis
01-17-2017, 08:09 AM
This guy is not the QB for the Chiefs. They have weapons but need a good QB.

Should the Chiefs trade up for Deshaun Watson or go after Romo?

Romo? Come on man

rainieravesouth
01-17-2017, 08:15 AM
it's possible. other game managers have gotten to and even won the superbowl before

dhawkeye1980
01-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Need a better RB and need hill to become the #2 WR behind maclin, if JC can come back to his 2013 form and they get kelce under control I can see them making arun but i think they need to look at this draft hard for a new QB in 2 to 3 years

Miked1978
01-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Chiefs are in a tough spot. Alex Smith plays just well enough that it's hard to justify moving on from him when you look at the other available options. Finding a quality starting QB in the NFL is very hard. Smith has no "wow" factor, but he plays safe, and he can win games. His lack of "wow" however could definitely keep them from making any Super Bowl appearances.

Drafting a rookie for competition would be the best bet IMO. If he ends up beating Smith out for the starting job, great....but if he needs to sit a year and learn, also no big deal because you have Smith to start for now.

Agreed. He needs a complete team around him to do it.

But like you said, its so hard to find a quality starter like Alex so its hard to justify moving on. 49ers thought they did but turns out they really didnt. Let that be a lesson for everyone who wants to bail on these types of QBs.

Twerk4it
01-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Need a better RB and need hill to become the #2 WR behind maclin, if JC can come back to his 2013 form and they get kelce under control I can see them making arun but i think they need to look at this draft hard for a new QB in 2 to 3 years
Kelce, Hill, Maclin, Ware/West is a solid group already

Defense needs to go from great to GOAT for him to ever get a ring, because all the offensive weapons in the world won't win your a SB if Alex Smith is your QB.

dhawkeye1980
01-17-2017, 09:31 AM

Defense needs to go from great to GOAT for him to ever get a ring, because all the offensive weapons in the world won't win your a SB if Alex Smith is your QB.

Ware/west are not that great JC is better than both but they may need to move on from him if he cant come,back next year healthy.

lsiberian
01-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Before the game, I continued saying I just can't trust an Andy Reid coached team in the playoffs. Besides the one super bowl stint with us, he simply cannot succeed past the divisional games.

Interestingly enough those teams had terrible receivers too. They only made it when they brought in TO. McNabb finally had a legit receiver then they ran him out of town.

~Hades~
01-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Weapons? Where? They have chit WR's and RB's. Cant go to Hill or Kelce every single snap. They need WR help bad

SMith is better than a lot of other QBs in the league and just LMAO at that baked potato up there who said he would take Cutler

woody19
01-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Thought they had a solid shot getting the steelers at home. But as always came up limp.

Bolz
01-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Weapons? Where? They have chit WR's and RB's. Cant go to Hill or Kelce every single snap. They need WR help bad

SMith is better than a lot of other QBs in the league and just LMAO at that baked potato up there who said he would take Cutler

It's the typical answer that people give when they don't ever watch him play, they think he's "better than a lot of qb's, just not flashy." He's actually terrible, he's just been in fortunate situations with coaches who know not to ask him to do what he can't do. This does not make him good. This does not make him "better than a lot of other qb's in the league." There are maybe a handful of starting qb's in the league who would do a worse job than Smith did this season, if they were asked to do the same sort of things that he was asked to do.

gottk2x
01-17-2017, 03:55 PM
he's legitimately the definition of mediocre

ShadowBarkley
01-17-2017, 03:59 PM
The chiefs should roster a playoff QB.

Let Alex Smith get them there...then bench his sorry checkdown ass when it matters.

jonmcd46
01-17-2017, 04:38 PM
you're all dumb, he does what he is told to do. Reid isn't asking him to go Carson Palmer or Brett Favre, he an incredible west coast qb. if erik fisher blocked harrison instead of trying to eat his butthole, game woulda been tied. all you kids do is watch stats and highlights and determine that hes not good

Hardcore_D00d
01-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Vernon Davis has a ring

DrFlexologist
01-17-2017, 04:43 PM
No. He sucks. Velocity of a salamander.
Time for the Chiefs to move on as their offense is basically anemic with him leading it.
Jeremy Maclin's career has fallen off a cliff and Jamaal Charles' career might be coming to a close.

jonmcd46
01-17-2017, 04:52 PM
41-20 as a starter for the chiefs in the regular season (.672%), thats the same win % Ben has with the steelers and higher than Rodgers has for the packers. Only Brady Wilson and Prescott have higher win%. stop complaining about him, its not worth the risk of getting a new qb

Bolz
01-17-2017, 06:33 PM
you're all dumb, he does what he is told to do. Reid isn't asking him to go Carson Palmer or Brett Favre, he an incredible west coast qb. if erik fisher blocked harrison instead of trying to eat his butthole, game woulda been tied. all you kids do is watch stats and highlights and determine that hes not good

41-20 as a starter for the chiefs in the regular season (.672%), thats the same win % Ben has with the steelers and higher than Rodgers has for the packers. Only Brady Wilson and Prescott have higher win%. stop complaining about him, its not worth the risk of getting a new qb

All we do is watch stats, and you pull a stat out of your azz that supports what you believe. OK then.

I watch every Chiefs game...he doesn't do anything that any other QB couldn't do, he brings nothing to the table. He lacks accuracy on throws of all range, he's a bad qb.

HoustonMiscer
01-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Lol his only weapon is Kelce and maybe Hill. They need to get better at WR. Maclin isn't enough

Dysfunqtional
01-17-2017, 07:29 PM
I don't think Alex Smith is the problem, the problem is they have garbage receivers.

XFactah416
01-17-2017, 07:38 PM
he's not the problem but he certainly isn't the solution.

in the present day, the chiefs will never win a big game (ie. a playoff game) unless the other team basically gifts them a pick 6 (or multiple turnovers that led to KC points). that's just how the team is constructed and that doesn't win super bowls unless your defense is the 2000 baltimore ravens.

cannonballdooky
01-17-2017, 08:36 PM
He just seems so limited watching him play. Every drive is so difficult for the Chiefs, it's weird how they're such a good team though. It literally takes them at least 10 minutes to drive down the field. I don't see how you can expect him to beat a good team in playoffs, but the pickings are slim at QB.

I think I'd prefer Tyrod on that team.

CougarP01
01-18-2017, 01:17 AM
I think if Alex gets to the superbowl, he wins it. He won't lose it.

waytoodeep03
01-18-2017, 03:44 AM
I don't think Alex Smith is the problem, the problem is they have garbage receivers.

When he had wrs he went an entire season without a passing touchdown.

Anyone remember that?

Wrs aren't the problem. Brady does more with less. Alex Smith is the problem. He isn't a good qb.

Mumra
01-18-2017, 04:38 AM

Anyone remember that?

Wrs aren't the problem. Brady does more with less. Alex Smith is the problem. He isn't a good qb.
when M@ Cassel and Jimmy Garapaoloaolooa can do the exact same thing Brady isn't so great.

Lukic
01-18-2017, 04:51 AM
You can prob win a SB with Smith but you need the stars to align. He's the worst kind of QB to have - good enough to win you like 9-11 games so u can never get a good prospect nor can u justify swapping him out but he's not good enough to win games on his own.

The offense around him is sufficient. Solid OL, Kelce + Hill + Maclin + Decent running game. D is obviously very good.

I actually like the idea of Cutler to the Chiefs. Cutler might be a potato but that D is good enough to get them to the playoffs and at least with Cutler he can just toss it around and if he's on he's pretty ****ing good. Higher ceiling than smith anyway.

Mumra
01-18-2017, 05:14 AM
plenty of pedestrian QBs have been to and a lot have won. conversly you have guys like Dan Fouts that never won one.

beer n brats
01-18-2017, 06:01 AM
alex smith would have won a SB on those nasty harbaugh teams. gave up on him way too soon.

Iczer
01-18-2017, 07:35 AM

Anyone remember that?

This....

Alex Smith has no instincts. He does not anticipate receivers being open. He looks for the easy pass with the least chance of making a mistake.

The interesting thing is when he's against a wall, like the last drive of the game. He was decent. It's just he does not play like that much at all.

This first gif is pretty insane. How did Smith not see the coverage and realize how open Hill would be. He just panics and runs to the sideline and throws it away. He's literally looking Hill's way...

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7819569/reekopen.0.gif

This second one....once again...no anticipation. On top of missing another wide open receiver in the middle of the field when he once again panic'd and started to scramble.
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7819587/reek23.0.gif

KC has some serious weapons that for some reason can be way to underutilized. Whether that's Reid's play calling(which i think he needs to give up) or just Smith not taking risks(more likely).

iamgenus
01-18-2017, 07:59 AM
alex smith would have won a SB on those nasty harbaugh teams. gave up on him way too soon.

You do realize Alex Smith was their QB for 6 seasons before Harbaugh became the HC right?

Plus it was Harbaugh that gave up on him.

Alex is a good dude though who went through a lot of chit with those 49er teams. I hope he wins one someday.

seanb1979
01-18-2017, 08:10 AM

I see why you think that but Trent Dilfer has a superbowl ring.

seanb1979
01-18-2017, 08:17 AM
plenty of pedestrian QBs have been to and a lot have won. conversly you have guys like Dan Fouts that never won one.

and dan marino was probably the best that never went

jcrue11
01-18-2017, 08:43 AM
and dan marino was probably the best that never went

Marino went to a SB in his 2nd year.

seanb1979
01-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Marino went to a SB in his 2nd year.

err i mean won