PDA

View Full Version : Meal replacement ideas

theriel
01-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone,
I am looking for advice on potential cheat meals / streamlining daily meal routine.

My macro needs (which have allowed me to finally see noticeable gains) are roughly: 180g proteins, 380g carbs, 75g fats, which - under 5 meals scenario - translates into 36g / 75g / 15g per meal.

So far I have been cooking once every three days (three different meals of chicken+rice type and eating them alternatingly). This results in a very boring meal pattern and also requires a lot of cooking.

I was hoping to eg replace two meals with "cheat meals" (shakes, bars, home-made snacks, simple food different from chicken+rice etc).

Do you have any interesting ideas? I guess I struggle the most with eating so much carbs (especially when in the form of cooked rice), so having an alternative would be great. Buying a protein drink is easy. Eating 380g of quality carbs (low glycemic index) is what I struggle with..

I am lactose intolerant.

Thank you for your help!

Tucane
01-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Have you thought of oats? Mixes with everything... simple.

DougyF7
01-15-2017, 12:24 PM
You could eat carbs that are not low glycemic, too, you know? Ice cream comes to mind.

JoeTinpan
01-15-2017, 12:34 PM
You could eat carbs that are not low glycemic, too, you know? Ice cream comes to mind.

lol way too easy to go overboard on this one. but if he has discipline its not a terrible idea. they have protein packed ice cream and yogurts now if you know where to look. helps with ALL macros

gbullock32
01-15-2017, 08:16 PM
lol way too easy to go overboard on this one. but if he has discipline its not a terrible idea. they have protein packed ice cream and yogurts now if you know where to look. helps with ALL macrosAlso usually tastes bad; ice cream is pretty easy to have in moderation.

magician27
01-15-2017, 08:20 PM

Eating 380g of quality carbs (low glycemic index) is what I struggle with..

and who told you rice is a low glycemic carb, also why do you have to eat low glycemic carb? are you diabetic ?

EjnarKolinkar
01-16-2017, 08:55 AM
HEating 380g of quality carbs (low glycemic index) is what I struggle with.

I'm sorry I just don't understand that as 400g carbs is very easy for me to eat. Perhaps you are placing too much value in low glycemic options or carbs in general for your appetite?

You could consider increasing fats, and or eating some lower fiber options possibly?

For easy snacks and meals sandwiches work well, so do burritos.

vsportsguy
01-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Eating 380g of quality carbs (low glycemic index) is what I struggle with..
This is your problem. I could do this now, but at the start of my bodybuilding journey I remember trying to stuff down brown rice and sweet potatoes all day. You're making it a lot harder for no benefit.

theriel
01-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for your replies and help. Some great ideas, and great questions raised.

I think you are right. There is no point in going too crazy about low GI carbs - I guess I wanted to say thst I was looking for a better/healthier solution than simply stuffing myself with simple saccharites/glucose.

I think that oats are a great idea for a morning meal - I am currently looking through the forum for recipes.

Any other ideas, assuming the goal is to limit rice+chicken to three meals per day? Maybe some (home-made?) snack bars, or post-workout gainer worth considering? Any othet proven cheat melas?

Vsportsguy - what has been your original easy/cheat solution to getting all the necessary macros?

vsportsguy
01-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Vsportsguy - what has been your original easy/cheat solution to getting all the necessary macros?
Protein shakes and eating right before bed. I used to eat a pb and j or tuna sandwich before bed. Protein shakes allowed me to eat less chicken (although I thought they had to be consumed immediately post workout). At the time, I didn't even really know how to cook and season chicken. It was usually really bland and I would just mix it up with rice and soy sauce. I spent many dinners at the kitchen table forcing down chicken and rice till the point of being difficult to breathe. I use a variety of herbs and hot sauce on chicken if I'm eating it without anything else now.

If I could go back and do it again, I would just eat more cereals, granola, yogurt, and ice cream rather than so much brown rice.