PDA

View Full Version : Online programs Thoughts? On these

momwholifts71
12-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Hi, I have been doing the Avatar Nutrition online program for 6 months now. I am on the reverse diet cycle atm as I did the reduced calories but they got to low so it switched me over to a the reverse diet. All up I have lost about 6lb.

I am tossing up the idea of the Jason Phillips Nutrition program which If you select the cheapest option, it's with one of his staff, not him directly and it's email based at a cost of $100 per month which is $90 more than the Avatar Nutrition.

Any thoughts?

dipatel13
12-30-2016, 10:26 PM
Save your money for food. All the information you need to get your diet in order can be read here for free. Read the stickies, starting with this one: Calculating Calories and Macronutrients (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183)

momwholifts71
12-31-2016, 04:03 AM
Hi, I know all the details, I have been weighing food etc doing all the styles, keto, intermittent fasting, nutrient timing etc for the past 2 and 1/2 years.

I need help.

I'm getting close to 50 and time is running out.

Heisman2
12-31-2016, 04:05 AM
Pretty much nobody who posts here regularly pays for online programs, thus it's going to be difficult to find people here who can honestly critique them as we haven't used them.

Have you read the link dipatel13 posted and attempted to create your own diet?

dipatel13
12-31-2016, 09:01 AM
Hi, I know all the details, I have been weighing food etc doing all the styles, keto, intermittent fasting, nutrient timing etc for the past 2 and 1/2 years.

I need help.

I'm getting close to 50 and time is running out.

What is it exactly do you need help with? Keep in mind, no one here is going to create you a meal plan.

SuffolkPunch
12-31-2016, 09:21 AM
I doubt you'd get anything you aren't already getting from Avatar - and you don't even need that if you are willing to do a little reading and learning.

Mrpb
12-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Hi, I have been doing the Avatar Nutrition online program for 6 months now. I am on the reverse diet cycle atm as I did the reduced calories but they got to low so it switched me over to a the reverse diet. All up I have lost about 6lb.

I am tossing up the idea of the Jason Phillips Nutrition program which If you select the cheapest option, it's with one of his staff, not him directly and it's email based at a cost of $100 per month which is $90 more than the Avatar Nutrition.

Any thoughts?

I consider both a waste of money.

momwholifts71
12-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Basically been lifting since I was 41, so past 5 years. female 3 kids. Always been chubby, big my entire life.
Anyway after trying for 2 years I got pretty lean, had abs and good muscle. But I was doing weights in the morning and 1 hour of cardio in the evening and I was starting to feel drained. I spoke to a professional coach, bodybuilder who said I should stop the cardio and eat twice what I was. From memory I never weighed anything back then, but I was just eating rice and chicken and leafy green veggies, sales. Maybe 1200 calories.

Anyway at the same time I started powerlifting still did bodybuilding each day but my training had change. So the doubling of calories, stopped the cardio and the changed training. That's where the weight gain and nightmare started.

That lasted for about 18 months when I realised that I couldn't handle the extra weight that I had battled my whole life with.

So I started dieting again, I tried rp strength style nutrient timing, keto programme (reversed diet), intermittent fasting. And the last 6 months on Avatar Nutrition.

I think my whole metabolism etc is screwed. Avatar have me on 1912 calories: 144P, 64F, 190C. the programme did get to as low as 1200 calories so they put me on a reverse diet for the past 2 months or so, it changes by 1g protein down and 5g carbs up and 1g fat up etc each week.

I went from 89kg down to 82kg but I'm on the way back up to 85kg.

I hit macros each day, eat clean and train hard.

Domicron
12-31-2016, 05:42 PM
bravo on effort, but it's time to sit down and learn a little more about how weight loss works instead of following buzzwords like intermittent fasting, keto, rep/pause training, etc.

read emma-leigh's sticky on calculating macros and TDEE to learn roughly how many calories a day you burn. buy a food scale and start tracking your food so you have an idea of how many calories you're eating normally, and then go from there.

momwholifts71
12-31-2016, 07:30 PM
. buy a food scale and start tracking your food so you have an idea of how many calories you're eating normally, and then go from there.

I have been weighing every meal for the past 2 years.

SuffolkPunch
01-01-2017, 01:43 AM
Have you been making positive (and measurable) progress towards your goals?

If not, the answer is usually very simple and can usually be solved without IF, keto or any other bandwagon jumping.

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 03:01 AM
Have you been making positive (and measurable) progress towards your goals?

If not, the answer is usually very simple and can usually be solved without IF, keto or any other bandwagon jumping.

Apart from the last 8 months where I have lost 7kg (got down to 1200 cals) but put 2+kg back on ( reverse diet and CreatIne past 2 weeks) . I would say no, nothing has changed.

Mrpb
01-01-2017, 03:24 AM
Apart from the last 8 months where I have lost 7kg (got down to 1200 cals) but put 2+kg back on ( reverse diet and CreatIne past 2 weeks) . I would say no, nothing has changed.

How is losing 7 kg no progress? Or are you being sarcastic?

Gaining 2 kg of water weight on creatine is completely normal.

Keep in mind that even if you maintain weight you could be gaining muscle and losing fat.

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 03:31 AM
How is losing 7 kg no progress? Or are you being sarcastic?

Gaining 2 kg of water weight on creatine is completely normal.

Keep in mind that even if you maintain weight you could be gaining muscle and losing fat.

Not being sarcastic, but the amount of work I do, 1kg per month is a little slow compared to what others achieve.

Heisman2
01-01-2017, 03:38 AM
Not being sarcastic, but the amount of work I do, 1kg per month is a little slow compared to what others achieve.

For a 45 year old female I think it's fine; many women find it much harder to lose at your age than when younger. If you are continuously getting stronger than you are also probably gaining a bit of muscle while losing fat as well.

Mrpb
01-01-2017, 03:42 AM

Do you realise that if you're gaining muscle while losing fat your weight will only go down slowly or not at all?

Here's a good explanation: http://shreddedbyscience.com/can-you-gain-weight-in-a-calorie-deficit/

I don't know your stats but unless you're obese 1kg per month could be just fine.

muruku
01-01-2017, 03:57 AM
how much were u losing @ 1200Cals?

do you showing us your food diary?

how are you tracking?

do you mind posting up your week's schedule?

and possibly weight trend graphs?

my mom's 60.. and she managed to lose about ~6kg in 4 months without tracking or much formal exercise. so it is possible. maybe your tracking is off?

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 04:24 AM
I don't have enough posts to put up photos
The cals were dropping every week by about 50-75 calories, each day my weight fluctuates Ie: down 300g up 600g. Down 200g then it could go 3-4 days and not change at all. But overall it was about 250g per week.

Food is roughly the same types each day ie:
Breakfast: oats and protein powder, post workout: Powdered Oats amd protein powder, glutamine. 2 hours after: Tuna and rice/veggies, next meal: chicken and broccoli etc, Yoghurt and Walnuts, etc.

Schedule for gym is:
Monday: SQUATS 30 REP, then Shoulders: bodybuilding style.
Tuesday: BACK, PULLDOWN, rows, etc, Speed flat bench 50 reps.
Wednesday: Squats 30 reps. BICEPS, TRICEPS, TRAPS.
Thursday: Hamstrings, calves.
Friday: Squats 30 reps. chest: Upper, lower, FLAT.

The squats are part of the SMOLOV squat routine.

After each workout I'll either do some kind of heavy work for 10-15 minutes. Ie: sled pulls, farmers carry, dead balls etc.

Heisman2
01-01-2017, 04:31 AM
I don't have enough posts to put up photos
The cals were dropping every week by about 50-75 calories, each day my weight fluctuates Ie: down 300g up 600g. Down 200g then it could go 3-4 days and not change at all. But overall it was about 250g per week.

Food is roughly the same types each day ie:
Breakfast: oats and protein powder, post workout: Powdered Oats amd protein powder, glutamine. 2 hours after: Tuna and rice/veggies, next meal: chicken and broccoli etc, Yoghurt and Walnuts, etc.

Schedule for gym is:
Monday: SQUATS 30 REP, then Shoulders: bodybuilding style.
Tuesday: BACK, PULLDOWN, rows, etc, Speed flat bench 50 reps.
Wednesday: Squats 30 reps. BICEPS, TRICEPS, TRAPS.
Thursday: Hamstrings, calves.
Friday: Squats 30 reps. chest: Upper, lower, FLAT.

The squats are part of the SMOLOV squat routine.

After each workout I'll either do some kind of heavy work for 10-15 minutes. Ie: sled pulls, farmers carry, dead balls etc.

How did you find the Smolov squat routine? That is an extremely advanced high volume/intensity routine that is typically only done by intermediate/advanced lifters who are not restricting calories at all (as it's really hard to recover) and who are pretty much solely focusing on squats for the duration.

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 04:33 AM
If you search: Miss Lifty

I have videos on youtube that's some videos of how I train.

Mrpb
01-01-2017, 04:34 AM
Your lifting routine is the first thing that needs to change. Highly inappropriate, like Heisman mentioned.

Look for a full body program 3x per week. All Pro or Fierce 5 for example.

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 04:36 AM
How did you find the Smolov squat routine? That is an extremely advanced high volume/intensity routine that is typically only done by intermediate/advanced lifters who are not restricting calories at all (as it's really hard to recover) and who are pretty much solely focusing on squats for the duration.

So far so good 9 weeks in, I have never done a programme for deadlift, squat or bench. Just my own thing.

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 04:38 AM
Your lifting routine is the first thing that needs to change. Highly inappropriate, like Heisman mentioned.

Look for a full body program 3x per week. All Pro or Fierce 5 for example.

How is it inappropriate? I can handle doing the bodybuilding ie: 10-12 rep range, but I have to lift heavy at least one exercise per day.

Mrpb
01-01-2017, 04:49 AM
How is it inappropriate? I can handle doing the bodybuilding ie: 10-12 rep range, but I have to lift heavy at least one exercise per day.

It's inappropriate for your level and for your goal. But most of all: it's totally not suited for lifting in a deficit.

I'll give you another example: you're only training back once a week, which has been proven to be suboptimal.

I'm not trying to be hard on you but looking at that program I highly doubt that you have enough knowledge to design your own program.

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 05:06 AM
It's inappropriate for your level and for your goal. But most of all: it's totally not suited for lifting in a deficit.

I'll give you another example: you're only training back once a week, which has been proven to be suboptimal.

I'm not trying to be hard on you but looking at that program I highly doubt that you have enough knowledge to design your own program.
My back upper and lower are sore from Tuesday onwards all week, yes I have done each body part twice per week before, but my back gets enough from one pure back session. It gets hit with shoulders and with the farmers carries etc.

As for designing my own training, look at my videos. My bench is 240lbs, my squat is 330+ and deadlift 350+.
I think my training knowledge is not bad.

What benefit will I get by going to an all over body training programme? So my current training could be why I'm not losing the weight like I should?

Thanks

muruku
01-01-2017, 05:32 AM
what are you using to log your foods?

no comments on full body vs splits. but if you are not recovering properly from your training, it might mean there's a fair bit of inflammation and associated water weight. you might also be unwittingly hindering your progress due to lack of complete recovery.

are the weekends complete rest days?

what's your activity like outside of the gym?

any other life stressors?

Mrpb
01-01-2017, 05:36 AM
As for designing my own training, look at my videos. My bench is 240lbs, my squat is 330+ and deadlift 350+.
I think my training knowledge is not bad.

Oh ok you're a lot more advanced than I expected. Hard to know without any prior information.

The programs I recommended before were aimed at less advanced lifters.

There are many ways to set up a good program for an advanced/intermediate lifter. One very effective way is the upper/lower split. Eric Helms, Lyle McDonald and Fierce have good sample programs that you could modify.

When you're in energy deficit you want to make sure you're doing enough volume but not too much. Your current volume is probably too high to fully recover. And things like 30 rep squats or 50 rep bench press aren't tools for a deficit.

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 05:52 AM
what are you using to log your foods?

no comments on full body vs splits. but if you are not recovering properly from your training, it might mean there's a fair bit of inflammation and associated water weight. you might also be unwittingly hindering your progress due to lack of complete recovery.

are the weekends complete rest days?

what's your activity like outside of the gym?

any other life stressors?

I weigh every meal, and track every macro. I write it all down, every day. Having said that after 2 years you know that x amount of chicken has these macros etc.

Other than the gym, I am a housewife. Weekends are rest days.

Apart from squats 3 x times per week. I do each body part once per week, apart from chest which I do a speed flat bench 50 reps (10 x5) on Tuesday and Hamstrings twice per week.

muruku
01-01-2017, 06:06 AM
oh, you don't use an app like MFP? are you open to trying one?

are you weighing them raw or cooked?

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 06:19 AM
oh, you don't use an app like MFP? are you open to trying one?

are you weighing them raw or cooked?

Cooked and raw depends on how they are required to be calculated. The scales I use have codes for all foods and link with an app etc. But I like to write everything down.

muruku
01-01-2017, 06:26 AM
I honestly think that your tracking is off. Try using MFP for a week or so and weigh everything raw if possible to eliminate variance?
How many steps do you take on average a day?

Apologies for all teh questions btw, don't need to answer them if you're don't want to.

Domicron
01-01-2017, 09:06 AM

busy working so i didn't see any of the replies. glad to see that everything i wanted to mention has been covered by far more knowledgeable posters than I.

you might give AllPro's Simple Beginner's Routine a shot.

Mrpb
01-01-2017, 09:16 AM
you might give AllPro's Simple Beginner's Routine a shot.

Have you seen her lifts on the previous page? ;)

Domicron
01-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Have you seen her lifts on the previous page? ;)

haha yeah i've been out of commission for awhile and never made it past novice, but maybe i should get back into things this new year with some German Volume Training in a deficit?

Mrpb
01-01-2017, 10:08 AM
haha yeah i've been out of commission for awhile and never made it past novice, but maybe i should get back into things this new year with some German Volume Training in a deficit?

lol be careful you might be putting ideas in her head.

EjnarKolinkar
01-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Basically been lifting since I was 41, so past 5 years. female 3 kids. Always been chubby, big my entire life.

At some point I'd consider stopping playing games with name brand diets, coaching, and learn how to consistently feed yourself well and in line with a weight you feel at least comfortable at. It does not sound like you have had the benefit of that experience for long before? If your whole life is dieting, or overeating, IMO it's not very fulfilling, especially to someone who trains with weights.

Past the initial few years the need to gain significant weight just isn't there. Keeping an even keel tends to be the norm. With modest changes to body weight. If you can't learn to eat close to your needs long term?

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 02:56 PM
I honestly think that your tracking is off. Try using MFP for a week or so and weigh everything raw if possible to eliminate variance?
How many steps do you take on average a day?

Apologies for all teh questions btw, don't need to answer them if you're don't want to.

Apart from the heavy work after training ie: sled pulls, farmers carries etc, I don't do cardio. I was advised not too, until after my metabolism was sorted.

muruku
01-01-2017, 09:28 PM
i am not referring to cardio. I'm talking about your non-exercise activity levels.

momwholifts71
01-01-2017, 10:48 PM
i am not referring to cardio. I'm talking about your non-exercise activity levels.

Just everyday housewife stuff.

momwholifts71
01-02-2017, 12:15 AM
I think i need to find someone who understands how I train and knows what is going on with older age females and hormones etc.

Just $100+ per month is a little steep for me.

Domicron
01-02-2017, 12:59 AM
I think i need to find someone who understands how I train and knows what is going on with older age females and hormones etc.

Just $100+ per month is a little steep for me.

pretty sure people here understand the way you train and that it's not good. $100 is steep for anyone...how about you learn yourself? there's the exercise forum, the female forum, the Over 35 forum, plenty of resources here. there are old lifters, young lifters, etc...

i feel like you're getting good advice and not even reading any of it.

Mrpb
01-02-2017, 01:02 AM
I think i need to find someone who understands how I train.

Hire Eric Helms.

I guarantee he will tell you to reduce volume and ditch smolov program in deficit.

Or hire Brad Schoenfeld.

I bet he will tell you to reduce volume and ditch smolov program in deficit.

Alternative: buy Eric's books on Training and Nutrition http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/

muruku
01-02-2017, 01:25 AM
anyway since you pretty much made up your mind, I'm just gonna say my piece.

it's weird that you made the leap straight away that your metabolism is broken. metabolic down-regulation does happen. but it is usually brought about by extreme conditions eg. prolonged starvation, ranger training, and even then it has been shown that it does recover quickly once fat is regained or sufficient energy is available.

it's like having a pain in your foot and deciding it's best to amputate it without first checking if there's a pebble in your shoe. I strongly urge you to take a hard look at your basics - how you are tracking your food, how honest you are with your tracking, your NEAT levels and your progress in the gym. as well as using an app like Libra to look at how your weight is trending.

here's my 3 things you can do for FREE and I guarantee it will bring about change;
1. Use MFP to track your calories.
2. Download a ****meter/activity tracker and hit 6k steps a day
3. Start a photo log of your meals

edit. oyea and read this; http://www.ebpcoaching.com/blog/reverse-dieting-metabolic-damage-debunked