PDA

View Full Version : Can eating too much protein actually CAUSE weight gain?

rlouise94
12-08-2016, 04:36 PM
I don't eat too much, but I've thought of having a more 'just lean protein + vegetables/salad' diet, with absolutely minimal starches....But then I wondered whether eating excess protein could also be converted to fat?

Nooblian
12-08-2016, 04:43 PM
You need help

rlouise94
12-08-2016, 04:44 PM
You need help Yes possibly...:/ Although I have pictures of my body on my page, and I don't look underweight.

chemo29
12-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Yes possibly...:/ Although I have pictures of my body on my page, and I don't look underweight.

albeit it did feel like ********, profile visit was worth the bandwidth, thank you OP

I don't think you are underweight, but you may have an unhealthy relationship with food (based on your other thread)

that being said, excess calories are converted to fat. Unless you ate a 100% protein diet, if you have excess calories then some of that excess will be coming from carbs and fat
nomsayan?

rlouise94
12-08-2016, 05:11 PM
albeit it did feel like ********, profile visit was worth the bandwidth, thank you OP

I don't think you are underweight, but you may have an unhealthy relationship with food (based on your other thread)

that being said, excess calories are converted to fat. Unless you ate a 100% protein diet, if you have excess calories then some of that excess will be coming from carbs and fat
nomsayan?

Yeah that makes sense, although since I maintain my weight, I don['t think I eat too many calories....I just feel as though I do. I lost 2 lbs over summer, but I can't tell!

AdamWW
12-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Yes possibly...:/ Although I have pictures of my body on my page, and I don't look underweight.

It doesn't matter what your BMI is or what your weight is.

You have an eating disorder. ED's are a mental issue first and foremost. Please either seek professional help or refocus your attention and self-help efforts so you can get over the problem before it makes you sick.

thegodzor
12-08-2016, 06:10 PM
It doesnt matter what nutrient you are eating, if you are eating above your maintenance you will gain weight.

said that, although the protein has the same calories as a carbohydrate, the protein fills you much more, making it difficult to eat such an exaggerated amount to gain weight.

if u only care about losing/gaining weight u need to focus on calories in vs calories out, the macro/micronutrients wont change anything.

EjnarKolinkar
12-08-2016, 06:18 PM
You should look at eating a well rounded diet and at your overall calories as the driver of fat loss or gain.

Eating too many calories causes one to gain weight.

ErikTheElectric
12-08-2016, 07:28 PM

This does not matter. Ones weight =/= Mental Issues

Lucas7F
12-08-2016, 08:26 PM
Excess protein does not convert to fat. It will just be disposed by your liver if there is too much of it.

magician27
12-08-2016, 08:43 PM
excess calories are converted to fat , not protein,carbs or fats.

loopinloonie
12-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Excess protein does not convert to fat. It will just be disposed by your liver if there is too much of it.

This, your body needs a certain amount of protein and after that you wee it out.

magician27
12-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Yeah that makes sense, although since I maintain my weight, I don['t think I eat too many calories....I just feel as though I do. I lost 2 lbs over summer, but I can't tell!

well you dont look underweight , but this way of thinking will lead to eating disorder. dont over-analyze what you eat and lift weights. you will look fine.

Mrpb
12-08-2016, 09:53 PM
If you want to look like you lift you'll need to lift.

ironwill2008
12-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Yes possibly...:/ Although I have pictures of my body on my page,

.................and I don't look underweight.

At least not now, but it's easy for body image issues to take over your life, and not in a good way at all.

I have no professional qualification with which to diagnose someone's behaviors, but based on my RL experience, I'd strongly suggest you speak to your doctor or some other health professional, in-person, about your concerns.

Good luck.

rlouise94
12-09-2016, 06:56 AM
At least not now, but it's easy for body image issues to take over your life, and not in a good way at all.

I have no professional qualification with which to diagnose someone's behaviors, but based on my RL experience, I'd strongly suggest you speak to your doctor or some other health professional, in-person, about your concerns.

Good luck.

Thank you IronWIll. I did have a therapist, but he's only interested in the money and keeps pestering me for payments, which puts me under pressure and overshadows any possible help I might get during therapy. So I'm looking for a new one in my university counselling service.

ironwill2008
12-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Thank you IronWIll. I did have a therapist, but he's only interested in the money and keeps pestering me for payments, which puts me under pressure and overshadows any possible help I might get during therapy.

So I'm looking for a new one in my university counselling service.

Keep looking; there's help out there somewhere for you that you can afford.

Again, good luck to you.

rlouise94
12-09-2016, 07:27 AM
Keep looking; there's help out there somewhere for you that you can afford.

Again, good luck to you.

Yes, that's true - there are therapist in my university's medical service. It may take 6 or 8 weeks to see someone, but that's ok.

Please could you answer my other question, if you can, about how long it takes for our bodies to digest white meat? This isn't calorie related, but simply health related: I only want to eat things that are good for my digestive system.

vinilzordd
12-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Eating above maintenance will lead to fat gains, be it carbs fat or protein.
About the digesting thing: it depends on how much you're eating :P

Joesywhales
12-09-2016, 07:59 AM
Lol @ the judging ITT as if that's going to help her. OP you look good in your progress pics.

rlouise94
12-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Lol @ the judging ITT as if that's going to help her. OP you look good in your progress pics.

ITT? What does this mean? Thanks for responding.

Joesywhales
12-09-2016, 08:07 AM

In this thread.

ironwill2008
12-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Please could you answer my other question, if you can, about how long it takes for our bodies to digest white meat? This isn't calorie related, but simply health related: I only want to eat things that are good for my digestive system.

Speed of digestion of any food is determined by a number of factors, all of which are variable, such as the type of food in question, what other foods were consumed with it, how long it's been since your previous meal, etc.

Rather than focusing on one particular food item, look at your overall nutrition picture and all your other food choices that you consume on a regular basis.

rydin4life
12-09-2016, 08:13 AM

That means "in this thread"....also agreeing with Joesywhales. I think your progress pics look great. If you have an unhealthy relationship with food or some type of eating disorder, then a professional is the way to go, but without judging or knowing you at all, pics look great and you seem to be interested in doing what's best for your body images/looks but also your overall health which is important.

Joesywhales
12-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Speed of digestion of any food is determined by a number of factors, all of which are variable, such as the type of food in question, what other foods were consumed with it, how long it's been since your previous meal, etc.

Rather than focusing on one particular food item, look at your overall nutrition picture and all your other food choices that you consume on a regular basis.

That last part is especially true. There's a lot of good information on this site if youre legit looking for health advice. Its possible to be lean, and healthy, it just takes a little bit of hard work.

Partyrocking
12-09-2016, 08:17 AM
If your digestive system is not impaired, I see no reason to worry about this at all.

If your digestive system is somehow impaired, you should be having a conversation with a doctor or a registered dietitian to figure out what you should (or should not) be eating.

AdamWW
12-09-2016, 08:29 AM

Judging? She's clearly displaying several classic signs of disordered thoughts around food which will have a negative impact on her. This is the second thread she posted in the same day nearly panicing about her food consumption and showing signs of mental stress.

rlouise94
12-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Judging? She's clearly displaying several classic signs of disordered thoughts around food which will have a negative impact on her. This is the second thread she posted in the same day nearly panicing about her food consumption and showing signs of mental stress.

Perhaps, but I don't think you can diagnose anyone as having any kind of ED based on one or two threads on an online forum.

juggernaut74ia
12-09-2016, 08:38 AM
Perhaps, but I don't think you can diagnose anyone as having any kind of ED based on one or two threads on an online forum.

No need to diagnose when you admit you have one and have sought therapy in your other thread. Bummer for all your White Knights.

I know my eating disorder is completely gone

I did have a therapist, but he's only interested in the money and keeps pestering me for payments

I know how hard it can be when professionals expect to be paid for their time and work

And since I have a feeling these threads are nothing more than the typical ED sufferer's attention seeking, this will be my last response to any of your threads. Please continue to seek help.

rlouise94
12-09-2016, 08:39 AM
No need to diagnose when you admit you have one and have sought therapy in your other thread. Bummer for all your WKs

Haha you can't "diagnose" anyone, especially when you're not a medical professional.....And I'm not 'diagnosing' myself - I can't do that either. Actually, my GP didn't diagnose me with an ED specifically, and I have spoken to her.

gbullock32
12-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Haha you can't "diagnose" anyone, especially when you're not a medical professional.....And I'm not 'diagnosing' myself - I can't do that either. Actually, my GP didn't diagnose me with an ED specifically, and I have spoken to her.Nothing but denial, lie to yourself if it makes you feel better, all it will do is keep you from the help you need.

AdamWW
12-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Haha you can't "diagnose" anyone, especially when you're not a medical professional.....And I'm not 'diagnosing' myself - I can't do that either. Actually, my GP didn't diagnose me with an ED specifically, and I have spoken to her.

GP's don't know much about ED's... that's why they're 'general'.

YOU KNOW you have an issue. Do you think it's normal and healthy to feel this guilty, greedy, and worried about your diet and lifestyle? You're making multiple forum posts on the subject and trying to defend yourself by saying 'oh but my BMI Is in the normal range, so i'm fine'.

Take our advice or don't, but I think you know what's going on. You're in denial.