PDA

View Full Version : Which team will overtake Bama in the SEC?

WhiskeyDavid
12-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Once Alabama falls off its throne, which it will because all great dynasties come to end at least momentarily for a period of a couple years. Just happens to the best of them. Which SEC team will take Bama's place on top in the mean time? Will it be Florida again? They already have a trifling Defense, just that offense needs touchdown jesus. I doubt it's Tennesee, they've been hyped as "this year is gonna be the year" for the past 4 years. Possibly Auburn I could see. TAMU always has a second half of the season fall out.

My weird sleeper pick: Georgia.
More Likely Pick: LSU

BuckNakedinBama
12-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Once Alabama falls off its throne, which it will because all great dynasties come to end at least momentarily for a period of a couple years. Just happens to the best of them. Which SEC team will take Bama's place on top in the mean time? Will it be Florida again? They already have a trifling Defense, just that offense needs touchdown jesus. I doubt it's Tennesee, they've been hyped as "this year is gonna be the year" for the past 4 years. Possibly Auburn I could see. TAMU always has a second half of the season fall out.

My weird sleeper pick: Georgia.
More Likely Pick: LSU

https://i.imgflip.com/1fhy3f.jpg

buckeyenutz
12-07-2016, 04:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/HxYE6nS.png

LiveOnce
12-07-2016, 05:03 AM
SEC is the fourth best conference this year. I don't pay much attention to teams that low

AriGhold
12-07-2016, 05:06 AM
Alabama isn't going anywhere until saban retires. That could be in 3 years it could be in 10. After that anyone who thinks they will continue this run of dominance is foolish. But I don't think there will be another team to overtake them. There will be a handful of good teams but no dominant force.

woody19
12-07-2016, 05:06 AM
Florida in the sec, but not urban Meyer levels.

Think it will be a while before we see something as dominant as bama.

Michigan has a chance, but Harbaugh is a wildcard
Ohio st, is close but Urbans heart has to be getting weaK
FSU/Miami have the talent beds, but coaching is ??
Texas could reck chit, but big 12 defense gonna big 12
USC has talent, but coaching is still a ?? Along with recruiting under the new regime

lsiberian
12-07-2016, 06:48 AM
Alabama isn't going anywhere until saban retires. That could be in 3 years it could be in 10. After that anyone who thinks they will continue this run of dominance is foolish. But I don't think there will be another team to overtake them. There will be a handful of good teams but no dominant force.

It remains to be seen what the long term effect of losing Kirby Smart will be. Of course Alabama has no pro sports so that does help them sustain success financially.

woody19
12-07-2016, 06:55 AM
It remains to be seen what the long term effect of losing Kirby Smart will be. Of course Alabama has no pro sports so that does help them sustain success financially.

Pruitt>>>>>>Kirby

Plus it's still Sabans defense

SoutheastBeast1
12-07-2016, 07:06 AM
Auburn already knocked them off their throne temporarily back in the 2000's.

Not saying Bama hasn't been the most storied franchise still, of course they have. So if you mean who will overtake them as far as all-time history then that's going to take some time if it ever happens.

They will be the team in the SEC for our lifetime most likely in that respect.

Obviously there will be lulls from time to time though just like in the 2000's. They didn't even make the SEC title game between 2000-2007 so yes there are periods of stagnation.

But yeah my pick is Auburn will again be the team to beat during Bama's next lull period.

stevedarsh
12-07-2016, 09:33 AM
In order of likelihood:
1. LSU
2. Auburn
3. Florida
4. Georgia
5. TAMU
6. Tennessee
7. Arkansas

AriGhold
12-07-2016, 10:04 AM

I don't think much. Saban has a proven track record of making good hires. Alabama has deep pockets for their coordinators. They can make HC money and hold out for a good p5 school instead of leaving to head a small program.

Alabama will win 10-12 games every year until saban retires.

Lunatic
12-07-2016, 10:05 AM
SEC is the fourth best conference this year. I don't pay much attention to teams that lowDoesn't the SEC have the most teams playing in bowl games?

AriGhold
12-07-2016, 10:33 AM
Doesn't the SEC have the most teams playing in bowl games?

1 great team surrounded by varying levels of mediocrity and garbage doesn't make a conference good

Black03mach
12-07-2016, 11:18 AM
1 great team surrounded by varying levels of mediocrity and garbage doesn't make a conference good

Hes right, you know.

SoutheastBeast1
12-07-2016, 12:50 PM

AU > OU
UF > Iowa
LSU > Louisville
Georgia > TCU
Tennessee < Nebraska
Arkansas > VT
Kentucky > GT
A&M > KState
SC < USF
Vandy > NC State
Miss St. > Miami (OH)

Looks like a 9-2 overall by my count. Plus whatever Bama does so hopefully 10-3 by the end of it.

AriGhold
12-07-2016, 01:20 PM
AU > OU
UF > Iowa
LSU > Louisville
Georgia > TCU
Tennessee < Nebraska
Arkansas > VT
Kentucky > GT
A&M > KState
SC < USF
Vandy > NC State
Miss St. > Miami (OH)

Looks like a 9-2 overall by my count. Plus whatever Bama does so hopefully 10-3 by the end of it.

But the original comment was that the number of teams the SEC has in bowl games in an indication that they are one of the best conferences. You can't make the argument that since they are favored in most of their bowl matchups they are superior when those matchups are across multiple conferences.

The B1G is absolutely the best conference this year and the big 12 is the worst. I could see an argument for the SEC being ranked anywhere between 2 and 4 and I probably wouldn't dispute it.

wildchild11
12-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Saban will take one last job before retirement IMO. What's left? the nfl.

WhiskeyDavid
12-08-2016, 01:34 AM
Saban will take one last job before retirement IMO. What's left? the nfl.

Doubt he'll go back to the nfl. He did that once and was mediocre at best. College football is where he is meant to be. Granted pete carroll had a mediocre/bad run in the nfl his first time around then went to USC then back to the nfl and had major success, but he is a very rare exception.

I Think saban has built a fantastic legacy and will go down as the greatest cfb coach ever when it's all said and done, especially if he wins 1-2 more rings. He's made his money in CFB, no reason to jump ship to the nfl on the slight chance that he'll find the same type of success

woody19
12-08-2016, 04:50 AM
Doubt he'll go back to the nfl. He did that once and was mediocre at best. College football is where he is meant to be. Granted pete carroll had a mediocre/bad run in the nfl his first time around then went to USC then back to the nfl and had major success, but he is a very rare exception.

I Think saban has built a fantastic legacy and will go down as the greatest cfb coach ever when it's all said and done, especially if he wins 1-2 more rings. He's made his money in CFB, no reason to jump ship to the nfl on the slight chance that he'll find the same type of success

If the Dolphins picked brees instead of Culpepper he might still be in the league. The league is to qb driven for him to just go back to terrible team, they would have to have a slam dunk qb ready to go.

Calhexas
12-08-2016, 05:33 AM
Doesn't the SEC have the most teams playing in bowl games?

I don't foresee it going well in the bowls

Auburn: All quality RBs are injured as well as the only QB that makes that offense work. They're ****ed

UF: potato offense but maybe their defense can keep them in a game long enough to fall backwards into some points. It IS Iowa afterall so highly overrated as usual

LSU: probably will do well if Fournette and Guice are healthy at the same time. Defense might have hands full against Louisville but Jackson is hit or miss it seems

Tennessee: they have something like 17 of their original 22 starters injured or transferred. No.

TAMU: if Knight is healthy they have a decent chance I think

Arkansas: they're a real wildcard. Defense isn't as stingy as the past squads but that Allen kid is tough as nails and accurate af

UGA: they have a new HC and a freshman QB. And it shows

Vandy: who knows they look scrappy af. Not gonna hold my breath tho

Kentucky: actually like their chances against GaTech. They did beat Louisville afterall

SCar: USF is going to rock this group lol

Drayton13xpb
12-08-2016, 06:41 AM
I don't foresee it going well in the bowls

Auburn: All quality RBs are injured as well as the only QB that makes that offense work. They're ****ed

Meh White and Pettway should be healthy by Jan 2, although one could say that Oklahoma is playing better than almost any other team right now.. Still in disbelief that we actually got into the Sugar Bowl tho haha

As for the topic at hand, I would probably say LSU or Auburn in the west and Georgia or Florida in the east.. Tennessee has so much talent but thus far it's not looking like Butch can do anything besides recruit so I have my doubts. Even with Saban leaving in 5 years or so I don't really seeing anyone knocking them off year after year unless the NCAA lays some sanctions down again

ugottabjoshinme
12-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Nobody cares about the poverty SEC anymore.

B1G is college football's new premier conference.

niospecv
12-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Once Saban retires Alabama will go back to the Pre-Saban era where they were irrelevant.

woody19
12-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Once Saban retires Alabama will go back to the Pre-Saban era where they were irrelevant.

They will foolishly hire someone in the Saban tree trying to rekindle the flame instead of just hiring the best coach

See USC with lane and sark
See Michigan with Rich and Hoke (got lucky that Harbaugh was both a Michigan man and the best )