PDA

View Full Version : Over 40 and Supplementation

ArthurDayne
12-05-2016, 08:36 AM
I am 41 and after years of neglect have been exercising regularly for the past 2 years. In the last couple of months, I have moved from cardio only to strength training 3 days a week. I am currently doing upper body twice one week and lower body once then switching to lower body twice and upper body once and so on and so forth. I do each workout in circuits of 5 rounds. My goal is to lose significant body fat as to hopefully build some muscle or at least not lose the mass I currently have. I have been taking an post workout protein shake after weight training. My question is what should I be doing as far as supplementation? Is the protein alone enough? Should I be taking creatine? Which kind as in nitrate, monohydrate or hydrocloride? Should I be taking BCAAs while working out? I have already purchased a multivitamin to help with nutrient intake. Are the fat burners worth the money? Thanks so much for you advice.

kbayne
12-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Before adding any supplementation, diet, training, and adequate rest is key.

If you're looking to lose body fat, don't be thinking about trying to add additional muscle tissue. You need to pick one goal and go for it.

Figure out your TDEE and stick at that caloric intake for 2-3 weeks and see where you stand body composition and weight wise. If you haven't noted an improvement in body comp or dropped in weight, drop the calories and stick there for another 1-2 weeks and see where you are again.

There are certain supplements that will have a positive impact and can help achieve what you're after, but getting your diet right is first and foremost.