PDA

View Full Version : Am I overtrained ? Need Help!

tld66
11-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Hi,

I have been feeling really bad for the past few months and I figured it would be a good idea to seek for advice here. I already went to see my doc and I am currently on the waiting list for a coloscopy and endoscopy. I'm wondering if all my symptoms could be the causes of overtraining and. Here are the symptoms that I currently have:

-Dry mouth
-Always feel thirsty
-Really bad constipation
-Loss of appetite
-Very bad digestion
-Headache
-Weight loss
-Bloating
-Tiredness
-Always feeling cold
-Back pain
-Loss in strenght
-Loss in motivation

Back in july I used to train 7 days/week (Stupid I know) but since then I've reduced to 5 days/week and reduced the volume a lot but the symptoms are still there. I've taken 2-3 consecutive days off twice but havent seen much improvement. Could I get a lot more improvement by taking a week off?

Mrpb
11-24-2016, 06:05 AM
Good job on visiting your doc.

What's your training volume like?

How are your macros? micros? diet. etc.

chamelious
11-24-2016, 06:05 AM
Could I get a lot more improvement by taking a week off?

If your symptoms are indeed caused by overtraining then yes, surely. Why don't you try it? Why haven't you tried it already?!

tld66
11-24-2016, 06:11 AM
Good job on visiting your doc.

What's your training volume like?

How are your macros? micros? diet. etc.

Back in july when it started my macros were around 220p/220c/50f but I recently tried to add more carbs and good fat so my current macros are 150p/300c/70-75f. I am currently 148 pound. I always had a super clean diet. I dont drink dont smoke and I always eat clean food.

chamelious
11-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Whats your height?

FYI there is absolutely no such thing as "clean" food.

tld66
11-24-2016, 06:14 AM
If your symptoms are indeed caused by overtraining then yes, surely. Why don't you try it? Why haven't you tried it already?!

I know I should of tried it a while back but I was too obsessed. I always have been very strict with training and nutrition ...maybe too strict

tld66
11-24-2016, 06:15 AM
Whats your height?

FYI there is absolutely no such thing as "clean" food.

I am 5''10

Mrpb
11-24-2016, 06:27 AM
5'10, 148 pounds, obsessed with clean eating.... You were 174 pounds 3 years ago. What happened?

Do you have any history with eating disorders?

It doesn't matter if you call your food clean, it matters that you get all your micronutrients, fiber and macros.

How much weight have you gained in the last 3 months?

And yes taking a week off is a good idea.

chamelious
11-24-2016, 06:28 AM
In that case your weight is on the very low side, as far as i know this in itself could be causing issues.

If i were you i'd seriously take a break from your training and presumably from eating very little. I'm no expert in the kind of damage you could've done, and i might be wrong your problems might be unrelated, but IMO its absolutely WELL WORTH taking the break, and i wouldn't limit it to a week.

muruku
11-24-2016, 06:29 AM
take a week off.. can't do any harm.

tld66
11-24-2016, 06:30 AM
5'10, 148 pounds, obsessed with clean eating....

It doesn't matter if you call your food clean, it matters that you get all your micronutrients, fiber and macros.

How much weight have you gained in the last 3 months?

And yes taking a week off is a good idea.

In the past 3 months I havent gained weight since I strugling eating my meals. It takes me 2-3 more time eating my meals. But getting micros, fiber, etc never been a problem for me.

tld66
11-24-2016, 06:31 AM
In that case your weight is on the very low side, as far as i know this in itself could be causing issues.

If i were you i'd seriously take a break from your training and presumably from eating very little. I'm no expert in the kind of damage you could've done, and i might be wrong your problems might be unrelated, but IMO its absolutely WELL WORTH taking the break, and i wouldn't limit it to a week.

Yeah I know my weight is low. It never been that low. You would take more than a week off ?

GGGTeam
11-24-2016, 06:40 AM
I would take a week off and try upping the fat. You're weight does seem on the low side, could up overall calories as well.

Seeing your doc was a good call, though.

chamelious
11-24-2016, 06:50 AM
Yeah I know my weight is low. It never been that low. You would take more than a week off ?

It depends. I'd take a week off and see how i felt. If a week relieved that massive list of symptoms completely, and i felt 100%, then yeah a week would be enough. If symptoms were improving but still present, i'd take as much time off as was necessary in order to be at full health again.

It may NOT be overtraining, it might be something else entirely. But a week/month out of the gym is NOTHING is the grand scheme of things, and more than worth it to make sure.

tld66
11-24-2016, 06:52 AM
I would take a week off and try upping the fat. You're weight does seem on the low side, could up overall calories as well.

Seeing your doc was a good call, though.

I already tried upping my fats for a few months without improvement. And I would love to up my calories if my appetite was back.

Mrpb
11-24-2016, 07:04 AM
I asked you for your training volume but you didn't answer.

Suggested reading about clean eating:
https://www.completehumanperformance.com/clean-eating/
http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html
http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

I already tried upping my fats for a few months without improvement. And I would love to up my calories if my appetite was back.

Anyone can eat extra olive oil without being hungry. Just eat more fat. Try 100.

tld66
11-24-2016, 07:10 AM
[QUOTE=Mrpb;1472424441]I asked you for your training volume but you didn't answer.

My current trining split is:

Chest/triceps
Legs/abs/cardio
Off
Back/Biceps
Shoulders/abs/cardio
Off
Repeat

3 to 4 exercice per muscle group. Reps and sets a always around 3x8 or 3x10

Mrpb
11-24-2016, 07:17 AM
My current trining split is:

Chest/triceps
Legs/abs/cardio
Off
Back/Biceps
Shoulders/abs/cardio
Off
Repeat

3 to 4 exercice per muscle group. Reps and sets a always around 3x8 or 3x10

Ok volume doesn't seem over the top.

How many of those sets do you train to failure?

Training a muscle only once per week isn't very effective though. http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/how-many-times-should-you-train-a-muscle-each-week/

tld66
11-24-2016, 07:20 AM
I dont really train to failure no more since I'm trying not going too hard on my body. Has you can see I train each muscle twice a week

tld66
11-24-2016, 07:24 AM
But in the past i used to do

Chest/triceps
Back/Biceps/Abs
Shoulders
Legs/Abs

7 days a week without a break for maybe a year or even more

Mrpb
11-24-2016, 07:25 AM
I dont really train to failure no more since I'm trying not going too hard on my body.

That's good.

Has you can see I train each muscle twice a week

Not really, you're training the main muscle groups (chest, back, legs) once per 6 days.

Given what the research shows that is suboptimal. But this will not fix your issues of course.

tld66
11-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Not really, you're training the main muscle groups (chest, back, legs) once per 6 days.

Given what the research shows that is suboptimal. But this will not fix your issues of course.[/QUOTE]

As you can see below twice avery 7 days

Day1 Chest/triceps
Day2 Legs/abs/cardio
Day3 Off
Day4 Back/Biceps
Day5 Shoulders/abs/cardio
Day6 Off
Day7 Chest/triceps
Day8 Legs/abs/cardio
Day9 Off
Day10 Back/Biceps
Day11 Shoulders/abs/cardio
Day12 Off
Day13 Chest/triceps
Day14 Legs/abs/cardio

relejia
11-24-2016, 07:34 AM
Hi,

I have been feeling really bad for the past few months and I figured it would be a good idea to seek for advice here. I already went to see my doc and I am currently on the waiting list for a coloscopy and endoscopy. I'm wondering if all my symptoms could be the causes of overtraining and. Here are the symptoms that I currently have:

-Dry mouth
-Always feel thirsty
-Really bad constipation
-Loss of appetite
-Very bad digestion
-Headache
-Weight loss
-Bloating
-Tiredness
-Always feeling cold
-Back pain
-Loss in strenght
-Loss in motivation

Back in july I used to train 7 days/week (Stupid I know) but since then I've reduced to 5 days/week and reduced the volume a lot but the symptoms are still there. I've taken 2-3 consecutive days off twice but havent seen much improvement. Could I get a lot more improvement by taking a week off?

you must have low t level

tld66
11-24-2016, 07:36 AM
you must have low t level

Low test could give me all those symptoms ?

jonnicola
11-24-2016, 08:08 AM

Worth getting tested for, at any rate.

relejia
11-24-2016, 08:16 AM

don't overestimate the power of our glorious T hormone

Mrpb
11-24-2016, 09:38 AM
As you can see below twice avery 7 days

This is not rocket science. You're training every muscle group once every 6 days.

If you were training every muscle group twice per week you would have trained chest, legs and back 4 times in 14 days.

And yes get your T checked.

And regardless of that start eating more calories. If you can't eat enough calories start taking shots of olive oil. It will do wonders for your testosterone and weight gain.

Heisman2
11-24-2016, 10:16 AM
-Dry mouth - this can be caused by anything that is causing an anticholinergic effect (side effect of many different meds or other substances people use), Sjogren syndrome, dehydration, primarily mouth breathing, or many different disorders that can impact your salivary glands. I'm unaware of this being caused by overtraining.
-Always feel thirsty - any of the above issues can cause this, with possible additional problems (high salt diet, diabetes insipidus or diabetes mellitus, psychiatric issues). I also do not believe overtraining will cause this.
-Really bad constipation - lack of water intake or poor fiber intake can contribute. Any anticholinergic substance can as well. Hypothyroidism can do this. Any disorder or medication negatively impacting gastrointestinal mobility negatively could do this. Some infectious diseases can cause this too. I don't think overtraining would cause this
-Loss of appetite - depression could cause this, anything negatively impacting GI motility could cause this, various cancers or chronic inflammatory/infectious diseases can cause this as well. I could see overtraining maybe contributing.
-Very bad digestion - not descriptive enough for me to talk about but likely correlates with the directly above and if you mean you have reflux issues then food choices as well as GI transit issues would be big players potentially. Probably not due to overtraining.
-Headache - too many causes for me to go through. Overtaining may play a role.
-Weight loss - correlates with a lot of the above. Overtraining should not directly cause this.
-Bloating - correlates with a lot of the above. Overtraining should not directly cause this.
-Tiredness - most likely due to poor sleep but if you have a systemic illness (inflammatory disease or infection), depression, some nutrient deficiencies due to GI issues, hypothyroidism, or many other causes this may happen. Overtraining can definitely cause this.
-Always feeling cold - classic hypothyroidism symptom, but can also happen if you have lost a bunch of weight and are thinner as with decreased subcutaneous fat you can feel colder
-Back pain - many different causes. Overtraining can definitely contribute if you have developed any inflammation or back injury and not sufficiently rested it to allow healing.
-Loss in strenght - overtraining or just simply poor programming can cause this. Loss of weight including skeletal muscle can also cause this.
-Loss in motivation - classic depression symptom, but overtraining can cause this too

Overall seems like you have a few things going on. I agree with the others taking a week off may help some/many symptoms, so worth a try. Low testosterone could contribute to some of the above although I wouldn't expect your GI symptoms to result. You went to a doctor; I imagine he/she did a bunch of bloodwork already. As you can see from my thoughts a lot of your issues sound GI related - the colonoscopy and endoscopy will go a long way in determining what the causes may be. Good luck.

rhadam
11-24-2016, 11:51 AM
I would agree, GI seems to be a good place to start. Hormones... meh likely not.

relejia
11-24-2016, 12:14 PM
I would agree, GI seems to be a good place to start. Hormones... meh likely not.

sorry what exactly is GI?

Heisman2
11-24-2016, 12:17 PM
sorry what exactly is GI?

gastrointestinal

The field itself is called gastroenterology, yet everyone refers to GI instead of GE.