PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel burnt out mentally after lifting for 10+ years?

joesev
11-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Hey guys, I have lifted consistently since I was 17 years old. I'm 28 now.

I find that after taking no long breaks in that time frame, I'm mentally burnt out with the hobby. I physically feel pretty much the same, but I just feel like since I'm getting older I have no future in the hobby.

Any tips for motivation after being so consistent for so long? I was always pretty dedicated, but after moving gyms several times, going through many workout partners/buddies, and now lifting alone after office work, things are so much harder.

I was at my strongest about a year ago, but looked the best at around 22

smokinal
11-06-2016, 03:07 PM

I find that after taking no long breaks in that time frame, I'm mentally burnt out with the hobby. I physically feel pretty much the same, but I just feel like since I'm getting older I have no future in the hobby.

Any tips for motivation after being so consistent for so long? I was always pretty dedicated, but after moving gyms several times, going through many workout partners/buddies, and now lifting alone after office work, things are so much harder.

OK son, lets sit down, have a beer and talk. I'm 47, been lifting since I was 14; you do the math. Sure, some years I put in more effort and had a few years where I had injuries, kids, life etc...which slowed it down, but I still managed to at least get in the door and go through the motions. And I'm so glad I did. Do I feel burned out sometimes; sure I do but I think about a few things and it gets me going again. Some of those things are the fact that I look better than about 99% of my childhood/high school friends. Another is the mental aspect; I need that down time from work where it's just me and the weights, pushing as hard as I can. And I think one of the biggest things that has helped me stick with it is I always have a goal to focus on. I bulk and cut. When I bulk, I have a goal weight I want to reach and I give myself a realistic timeframe to reach it. Then I turn and cut and give myself a bodyfat goal to cut to and, again, a time frame to get there. If you are just going in to the gym and lifting weights, you may be just spinning your wheels. It helps to have a goal of some kind to work towards.
I've had many partners as well and to be honest, I'd rather lift by myself. I have my routine down to what works for me and I don't like to compromise and do someone else's workout. My gym time is my time.
So, my advice would be to give yourself a goal; any goal; a new bench pr; a new squat pr (if you like squatting); a bodyweight goal; a bodyfat percent goal; an arm size increase...something; anything. Just something to shoot for. That will give you a reason to get in there. And most of those goals will require some sort of diet/nutritional homework which is a hobby in itself. You will find yourself thinking about nutrition during the day and that will motivate you to get in as well.
Hope I've helped. Good luck to you.

StiffSproles
11-24-2016, 06:16 PM
I feel exactly the same way as you, I started lifting exactly the time you did and I am also 28 years old.

I feel no motivation to lift at all. I think part of the reason is seeing progress. I don't think I made any good gains since I was maybe 25. Lifting feels like a chore, since no big measurable progress is made in adequate time. I guess that's part of being a natural lifter.

Personally, I achieved a 605 pound DL, 455 squat and a 325 BP up to this point and gaining strength is super difficult and size gains are very hard to come by. Meanwhile, I find myself fancying new hobbies that I enjoy far more than lifting weights. A few years ago, if you were to tell me that I would hate lifting weights, I would slap you and laugh you out of the building. Yet, today, that's exactly how I feel.

AD1985
11-25-2016, 12:13 AM
I hear you guys can cut the workouts way down as you are now just looking to maintain or gain a very small amount. Even 2 days a week would probably do it for you. Maybe that would bring back the novelty factor a bit?

StartingTGrow
12-16-2016, 05:05 PM

What made you want to start all those years ago?

I am just starting to get into the whole fitness lifestyle so I am interested more in your story.

What motivated you back then and what made you commit to going to your training routine all those years?

archcherub
12-20-2016, 09:05 PM

im with u. i got pretty burnt out 1 day while holidaying and then the "cheat" holiday extended... till today.
the working out and diet suddenly just does not work out anymore.
i don't know if it is a good or bad thing :(

archcherub
12-20-2016, 09:07 PM
What made you want to start all those years ago?
I am just starting to get into the whole fitness lifestyle so I am interested more in your story.
What motivated you back then and what made you commit to going to your training routine all those years?

one of the best motivation that lasts = looking good for the opposite sex! lol
it helps!!

knightofday
01-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Came across this thread and it's spot on how I'm feeling lately!! I've been lifting for 15 years, started at 14, 29 now. Stayed motivated the entire time up until about 6-7 months ago, then burnout hit HARD. The poster above is right, feels like a chore more than fun these days. I find myself training 3-4 days a week now, instead of 5 days every week like the decade and a half before. Maybe a reset is in order...

Hazard2
01-22-2017, 12:23 AM
yea