PDA

View Full Version : How to make ground turkey not taste like paper.

WutangFlex732
10-17-2016, 11:34 AM
I try to eat more ground turkey but no matter the seasoning and oil I just cant make it satisfying enough to make me want to eat. On top of that I also have to deal with the dryness it tends to have if I put too much seasoning. Help?

Oatmealman99
10-17-2016, 11:52 AM
if you don't like it don't eat it, it's as simple as that.

juggernaut74ia
10-17-2016, 11:54 AM
I season it the same way I season ground beef, and don't really notice a difference.

That said - if you don't like it - don't eat it.

Giant_Killer
10-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Taco Seasoning

Mumra
10-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Taco Seasoning
this!

I also eat it with jasmine rice, some avacado and Newman's Own Salsa(Pineapple, Mango or Peach). Kinda high in salt but other than that really good. plus the rest of my diet is pretty light in salt so it works out. it's really a good and healthy meal.

Collin1221
10-17-2016, 12:10 PM
If you're getting 99% lean, it's way more likely to be dried out and hard to eat.. I've noticed the 93% is much easier to eat with the little extra fat on it.

LarsoN97
10-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Season as u would anything else. Make burgers, meatballs, etc. Jus be sure u dont overcook it because its easier to dry out.

A nice juicy turkey burger is damn tasty

lsiberian
10-17-2016, 12:13 PM
If you don't like it don't eat it op.

TheSteve39
10-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Hey Wutang,

How are you preparing the ground turkey? Are you frying up a bunch of it in a frying pan and eating it over pasta or rice? Making turkey burgers or turkey meat loaf?

When making turkey burgers or turkey meatloaf, I like to employ a similar method to when making a regular meat loaf which would entail mixing in one whole egg per every pound of meat and half a cup of seasoned bread crumbs per pound. Beyond that, you could also add onion power and garlic powder to the mix.

A recipe that I like for a turkey meatloaf:

- 2 pounds of ground turkey;
- 2 whole eggs;
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs;
- 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes (drained);
- 1 whole carrot;
- onion powder to taste;
- garlic powder to taste.

In a large bowl, grate a whole carrot (peeled) over a coarse grater, add ground turkey, eggs, breadcrumbs, diced tomatoes and seasoning, mix well, mold into a loaf shape on a baking sheet, glaze top with ketchup (optional), bake at 350 degrees for about an hour and a half or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.

You could use the same recipe without the tomatoes and carrot to make turkey burgers.

Mumra
10-17-2016, 12:51 PM
If you're getting 99% lean, it's way more likely to be dried out and hard to eat.. I've noticed the 93% is much easier to eat with the little extra fat on it.
this too. I had to switch to 99% from the 93% and the difference was huge. go with 93% and it'll be good or you just plain don't like turkey at all.

Oatmealman99
10-17-2016, 12:58 PM
this too. I had to switch to 99% from the 93% and the difference was huge. go with 93% and it'll be good or you just plain don't like turkey at all.

This!!! 93% is actually pretty good for tacos, burgers, etc.

Partyrocking
10-17-2016, 01:03 PM
shepherd's pie ... winning!

TheSteve39
10-17-2016, 01:06 PM
shepherd's pie ... winning!

I once had a shepherd's pie with mashed sweet potatoes on top instead of regular. It was both game changing and life changing.

BeStill
10-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Hey Wutang,

How are you preparing the ground turkey? Are you frying up a bunch of it in a frying pan and eating it over pasta or rice? Making turkey burgers or turkey meat loaf?

When making turkey burgers or turkey meatloaf, I like to employ a similar method to when making a regular meat loaf which would entail mixing in one whole egg per every pound of meat and half a cup of seasoned bread crumbs per pound. Beyond that, you could also add onion power and garlic powder to the mix.

A recipe that I like for a turkey meatloaf:

- 2 pounds of ground turkey;
- 2 whole eggs;
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs;
- 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes (drained);
- 1 whole carrot;
- onion powder to taste;
- garlic powder to taste.

In a large bowl, grate a whole carrot (peeled) over a coarse grater, add ground turkey, eggs, breadcrumbs, diced tomatoes and seasoning, mix well, mold into a loaf shape on a baking sheet, glaze top with ketchup (optional), bake at 350 degrees for about an hour and a half or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.

You could use the same recipe without the tomatoes and carrot to make turkey burgers.Came in to suggest this. I would say that the tomatoes and the carrot are optional without making other changes. I love me some leftover meatloaf sammiches too. I grill the slices of meatloaf on my foreman grill too.

yoojungl
10-17-2016, 02:48 PM
I mix my raw ground turkey with cheese and season with taco seasoning, hot sauce, and olive oil. The mixed in cheese will help the ground turkey from being too dry.

desslok
10-17-2016, 05:46 PM
This is what I do:

Step 1. Open the package of ground turkey.
Step 2. Toss it in the garbage.
Step 3. Go to store and buy ground beef.
Step 4. Season and cook to taste.

gbullock32
10-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Sriracha is always good IMO.

fretslayer
10-18-2016, 09:02 AM
Taco Seasoning

This^^

Seasonings are your friend, find what you like and you can make a mighty tasty dish. Personally I use Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Pepper, Cayenne, Sea Salt, Crushed Red Pepper and top it with some Tapatio. Never gets old, love it every time.