PDA

View Full Version : How many calories deficit to reach my goal?

DChasers
10-16-2016, 07:24 AM
My goal is to drop my bodyfat from around 18-19% to lets say 13%. I want to achieve this in 3.5 months maximum if possible. How many calories under my maintenance should I go? I do cardio 3-4 times a week cause of sports and burn around 400 calories. I lift 4 times per week and have an upper/lower body routine. I used to do 5 times a week but reduced it to 3-4.

Dorich
10-16-2016, 08:47 AM
My goal is to drop my bodyfat from around 18-19% to lets say 13%. I want to achieve this in 3.5 months maximum if possible. How many calories under my maintenance should I go? I do cardio 3-4 times a week cause of sports and burn around 400 calories. I lift 4 times per week and have an upper/lower body routine. I used to do 5 times a week but reduced it to 3-4.
It's very possible, even significantly sooner than 3.5 months IMO.

Few important points to consider:

- Do not be so certain that you are burning X amount of kcal during cardio. In other words, don't overestimate your activity level.

- Do not rely on certain bf measurements to be totally accurate. For example, you may be 21% and think you are 18%, or vice versa.

- Accurately track your calories and try to avoid cheat meals as much as possible.

- Based on your bf range, and the fact that you're not in a rush, I wouldn't drop more than 800 kcal under TDEE.

Good luck.

DChasers
10-16-2016, 09:04 AM
It's very possible, even significantly sooner than 3.5 months IMO.

Few important points to consider:

- Do not be so certain that you are burning X amount of kcal during cardio. In other words, don't overestimate your activity level.

- Do not rely on certain bf measurements to be totally accurate. For example, you may be 21% and think you are 18%, or vice versa.

- Accurately track your calories and try to avoid cheat meals as much as possible.

- Based on your bf range, and the fact that you're not in a rush, I wouldn't drop more than 800 kcal under TDEE.

Good luck.

Right now Im eating 2000. Exactly 800 below my maintenance calories. So I should stop doing cardio or what? or go like 450 calories below and add another 350 from cardio?

Dorich
10-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Right now Im eating 2000. Exactly 800 below my maintenance calories. So I should stop doing cardio or what? or go like 450 calories below and add another 350 from cardio?
How exactly did you calculate your maintenance?

What is your height and weight?

Approximately how much weight are you currently losing per week?

DChasers
10-16-2016, 09:37 AM
How exactly did you calculate your maintenance?

What is your height and weight?

Approximately how much weight are you currently losing per week?

I went to the nutrition section and did everything bro, I ve done it before. I dont track my weight no more. I wanna look good in the mirror. Thats how I understand and I can feel my body. For example I know that when I put on weight Il start put on fat around my love handles and down to the belly area.

Dorich
10-16-2016, 09:51 AM
I went to the nutrition section and did everything bro, I ve done it before. I dont track my weight no more. I wanna look good in the mirror. Thats how I understand and I can feel my body. For example I know that when I put on weight Il start put on fat around my love handles and down to the belly area.
I think you may be oversimplifying it.

There are at least four different methods to calculating your TDEE (maintenance). Some are more accurate, some are less accurate.

Secondly, as you lose weight, the TDEE decreases. If you ate 800 kcal below TDEE and lost a lot of weight over a period of time, then you have a new TDEE, and you're definitely not still eating 800 kcal below, unless you adjusted your kcal intake appropriately.

Furthermore, if you diet for a long time, your body adapts to slow down weight loss (although not as drastically as many people think).

If you think you are currently eating 800 kcal below TDEE, then you should already be losing a good amount of weight.

My opinion: You are oversimplifying it, and relying on how you feel rather than accurately calculating and tracking.

It is ESPECIALLY important to carefully track everything the lower your bf gets. Every detail is important.

And photos always help.

bear1239
10-16-2016, 09:57 AM

Lets see... Calculate how many lbs of fat you should lose to get to 13% body fat. 1lb of fat is about 3500 kcal. Do the math :)

DChasers
10-16-2016, 09:57 AM
I think you may be oversimplifying it.

There are at least four different methods to calculating your TDEE (maintenance). Some are more accurate, some are less accurate.

Secondly, as you lose weight, the TDEE decreases. If you ate 800 kcal below TDEE and lost a lot of weight over a period of time, then you have a new TDEE, and you're definitely not still eating 800 kcal below, unless you adjusted your kcal intake appropriately.

Furthermore, if you diet for a long time, your body adapts to slow down weight loss (although not as drastically as many people think).

If you think you are currently eating 800 kcal below TDEE, then you should already be losing a good amount of weight.

My opinion: You are oversimplifying it, and relying on how you feel rather than accurately calculating and tracking.

It is ESPECIALLY important to carefully track everything the lower your bf gets. Every detail is important.

And photos always help.

My weight now is 77 kg. 180cm height.

Dorich
10-16-2016, 10:10 AM
My weight now is 77 kg. 180cm height.
Thanks. So you're saying you're currently eating 800 kcal below maintenance, which means you calculated your maintenance to be around 2800 kcal.

- How exactly did you calculate it?

- When was the last time you calculated it?

- How are you tracking your calories?

- Can you post a photo or two (no face needed)?

DChasers
10-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Thanks. So you're saying you're currently eating 800 kcal below maintenance, which means you calculated your maintenance to be around 2800 kcal.

- How exactly did you calculate it?

- When was the last time you calculated it?

- How are you tracking your calories?

- Can you post a photo or two (no face needed)?

I ll try to post pics on Tuesday. I caculated today and came with 2775 I think. MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5

I did it x 1.55 and the total is 2806.

Im tracking my calories reading the label of every product that I use. Tracking everything. Broccoli, lettuce, mustard, everything.

Dorich
10-16-2016, 02:21 PM
I ll try to post pics on Tuesday. I caculated today and came with 2775 I think. MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5

I did it x 1.55 and the total is 2806.

Im tracking my calories reading the label of every product that I use. Tracking everything. Broccoli, lettuce, mustard, everything.
One of the biggest mistakes people do is overestimate their activity level. You are probably doing this by multiplying with activity factor 1.55.

Fact is, if you are eating below maintenance, you will lose weight. If your metabolism has adapted to slow down weight loss after a long deficit, you will still lose weight, although slower than when you started.

If you are not losing weight then you are not eating 800 kcal below your current maintenance. You are actually eating close to maintenance.

Think of it this way: Activity level 1.55 worked when you began losing weight. You were heavier, you burnt more calories through activity, and your body hasn't begun adapting to the weight loss.

Lower the activity factor significantly (to about 1.3) and calculate a new maintenance. Adjust your kcal intake accordingly. Do it for two weeks and check your weight.

Get a food scale, weigh everything you put in your mouth.

That's the only advice I can give you. Perhaps others have better ideas.

DChasers
10-16-2016, 02:34 PM
One of the biggest mistakes people do is overestimate their activity level. You are probably doing this by multiplying with activity factor 1.55.

Fact is, if you are eating below maintenance, you will lose weight. If your metabolism has adapted to slow down weight loss after a long deficit, you will still lose weight, although slower than when you started.

If you are not losing weight then you are not eating 800 kcal below your current maintenance. You are actually eating close to maintenance.

Think of it this way: Activity level 1.55 worked when you began losing weight. You were heavier, you burnt more calories through activity, and your body hasn't begun adapting to the weight loss.

Lower the activity factor significantly (to about 1.3) and calculate a new maintenance. Adjust your kcal intake accordingly. Do it for two weeks and check your weight.

Get a food scale, weigh everything you put in your mouth.

That's the only advice I can give you. Perhaps others have better ideas.

I think 1.3 is way too low. Why dont go with 1.5? Yeah I forgot to mention that I have scale and weigh everything I eat

Dorich
10-16-2016, 02:56 PM
I think 1.3 is way too low. Why dont go with 1.5? Yeah I forgot to mention that I have scale and weigh everything I eat
I don't think it's low. AFAIK 1.3 includes not only a certain amount of cardio but also regular physical activity aside from that cardio.

Keep in mind that compound lifts don't burn a significant amount of kcal.

That said, I'd go with 1.3.

I mean you're eating 2000 calories daily. Just lower it.

Drop down to 1600 - 1700 daily? Experiment with 1500 consistently for one week? Many things to try.

Honestly, I'd recalculate the maintenance with activity factor 1.3, or 1,35 at the highest.

And if you're going to adjust your kcal intake so that in the end it's only about 100 - 200 kcal lower than your current intake, then you haven't really accomplished anything by doing that.

You need to eat less to lose more. It is my opinion that you are significantly overestimating the kcal burned through your physical activity, and thus you're not consistently eating below your true maintenance.

I'm sorry if you disagree.

Best wishes.

DChasers
10-17-2016, 03:32 AM
I don't think it's low. AFAIK 1.3 includes not only a certain amount of cardio but also regular physical activity aside from that cardio.

Keep in mind that compound lifts don't burn a significant amount of kcal.

That said, I'd go with 1.3.

I mean you're eating 2000 calories daily. Just lower it.

Drop down to 1600 - 1700 daily? Experiment with 1500 consistently for one week? Many things to try.

Honestly, I'd recalculate the maintenance with activity factor 1.3, or 1,35 at the highest.

And if you're going to adjust your kcal intake so that in the end it's only about 100 - 200 kcal lower than your current intake, then you haven't really accomplished anything by doing that.

You need to eat less to lose more. It is my opinion that you are significantly overestimating the kcal burned through your physical activity, and thus you're not consistently eating below your true maintenance.

I'm sorry if you disagree.

Best wishes.

Okay bro I understand. 2445 calculated x 1.35. Should I stick with it for about a week without cardio and then recalculate the maintenance calories and stick with the 800 calorie deficit?

Dorich
10-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Okay bro I understand. 2445 calculated x 1.35. Should I stick with it for about a week without cardio and then recalculate the maintenance calories and stick with the 800 calorie deficit?
Do the same activity you've been doing and just eat less.

You've been eating 2000 kcal so far.

I would seriously try 1500 - 1600 kcal daily for two weeks, doing the same activity, and then check your weight. Keep protein intake high and lift heavy.

No need to focus on an exact maintenance number as I believe that even with 1.35 you are overestimating the calorie burning effects of your activity, especially if lots of weight loss has already happened throughout your whole cutting process. So just do what you've been doing physically, but eat significantly less than 2000 calories.

Another tip: Prior to starting this, I'd do the following. Let's say you want to weigh yourself on Monday. Drink a large cup of dandelion tea on Sunday evening after your last meal. This may help get rid of water weight. On Monday, after waking up, use the bathroom and then weigh yourself on a digital scale placed on a hard surface, preferably in your underwear or naked. This assures a very accurate weight reading.

After two weeks of eating 1600 kcal, repeat the same process on Sunday evening, so you reproduce the same "situation" when weighing yourself on Monday, in order to get the most accurate reading possible.

Keep in mind though, I'm still above 20% bf so I have no personal experience dropping to the lower bf percentages you speak of. This is sort of a "disclaimer" to take what I say with a grain of salt, as maybe more experienced members can give you better advice. In any case I am personally convinced that you are overestimating the kcal burning effects of your activity, and that this causes you to see your maintenance as much higher than it actually is.

Either way, good luck.

getbigordie18
10-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Give yourself time. There's a big
Difference between cutting weight and lose fat and maintaining your muscle