PDA

View Full Version : Losing belly fat, but not weight

khansen47
10-12-2016, 08:25 AM
So I started working out after gaining weight from when I went to college. I was 5' 11" 175 pound before then 230 pounds after I transferred. I have noticed that I am losing belly fat, but not losing much weight. My waist has gotten considerably smaller, but my weight hasn't changed. I don't think I'm gaining that much muscle to the point where I won't see much weight change. I was just wondering why this was happening

EjnarKolinkar
10-12-2016, 08:41 AM
My waist has gotten considerably smaller, but my weight hasn't changed.

OK. How many inches did your waist shrink over what time period? And this is all at 230 pounds?

dvnnylo
10-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Whats your diet like? Whats your workout regiment like? How long have you been lifting? Are you consistent with both?

A lot of factors can go into this so theres no right answer we can give you right now without more info.

Dorich
10-12-2016, 12:30 PM
So I started working out after gaining weight from when I went to college. I was 5' 11" 175 pound before then 230 pounds after I transferred. I have noticed that I am losing belly fat, but not losing much weight. My waist has gotten considerably smaller, but my weight hasn't changed. I don't think I'm gaining that much muscle to the point where I won't see much weight change. I was just wondering why this was happening
You need to have a method to verify whether you are really losing belly fat, as the mirror can give you false ideas depending on several factors.

During my personal cutting, I noticed that the same pants were getting looser and looser, so eventually I needed more holes in my belt, and many more holes as time went by.

You need to carefully pay attention to how your clothes fit, and perhaps even use a tape as well as calipers, in order to truly establish whether you are losing belly fat.

khansen47
10-12-2016, 05:58 PM
No. I was 230 when I came home. I dropped to 215 without working out. I started working out about 2 months ago. I noticed my pants were getting big on me, so I tried on a pair with a waist 2 inches smaller and they fit like a charm. Same brand and style. I'm still at about 215. My training is fine as I worked out with a guy named Nick Setta when I was in high school (played in the CFL and was on some NFL practice squad teams). I use his workouts. My diet is okay. Not the best, but definitely not the worst. I do not drink soda, eat fast food, or anything like that. I hover around 2000-2500 calories a day. Some days I go over that maybe like once a week.

khansen47
10-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Whats your diet like? Whats your workout regiment like? How long have you been lifting? Are you consistent with both?

A lot of factors can go into this so theres no right answer we can give you right now without more info.
I am consistent. Do cardio 5 days a week, lift 3 days a week

ccincotti3
10-12-2016, 06:32 PM
has your strength increased/decreased?

anzuelo
10-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Usually people complain about the opposite problem. They lose weight but the belly fat persists.

Dorich
10-12-2016, 07:20 PM
No. I was 230 when I came home. I dropped to 215 without working out. I started working out about 2 months ago. I noticed my pants were getting big on me, so I tried on a pair with a waist 2 inches smaller and they fit like a charm. Same brand and style. I'm still at about 215. My training is fine as I worked out with a guy named Nick Setta when I was in high school (played in the CFL and was on some NFL practice squad teams). I use his workouts. My diet is okay. Not the best, but definitely not the worst. I do not drink soda, eat fast food, or anything like that. I hover around 2000-2500 calories a day. Some days I go over that maybe like once a week.
Hovering between 2000 to 2500 calories a day is not very accurate tracking.

But on another note, keep in mind to always weigh yourself on the same scale, on a hard surface, with underwear or no clothes at all, and preferably right after waking up and using the bathroom.

If you just weigh yourself randomly whenever you feel like it, you can expect to see huge fluctuations.

There's also the water weight issue, although this can be relieved with teas such as dandelion.

khansen47
10-12-2016, 07:36 PM
has your strength increased/decreased?
I have noticed I have been able to do more weight on pretty much every exercise. I don't think I'm gaining muscle though. I just feel like I'm finally getting used to lifting again. My one rep max on squats my sophomore year of high school when I was a twig (like 135 pounds) was 225 and I'm not near that anymore. One rep max on bench was like 145 back then, I'm closer to that, but not at that yet. I compare myself to what I could do then, so I don't really feel any stronger, but I am able to handle heavier weights.

khansen47
10-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Hovering between 2000 to 2500 calories a day is not very accurate tracking.

But on another note, keep in mind to always weigh yourself on the same scale, on a hard surface, with underwear or no clothes at all, and preferably right after waking up and using the bathroom.

If you just weigh yourself randomly whenever you feel like it, you can expect to see huge fluctuations.

There's also the water weight issue, although this can be relieved with teas such as dandelion.
Its not very accurate. It is hard to track because I don't buy or cook my own food anymore since I moved back home after transferring. I have to eat whatever is in the house.

EjnarKolinkar
10-12-2016, 10:00 PM
I started working out about 2 months ago. I noticed my pants were getting big on me, so I tried on a pair with a waist 2 inches smaller and they fit like a charm. Same brand and style. I'm still at about 215.

Some people who were trained at one point get some positive result from picking up the barbells again in faster than average muscle gains to a point back in the direction to where they were previously. I would say fitting into smaller jeans is a good thing. I would not worry about it too much. But if you want to lose weight where you currently sit at 215, generally you have to start eating less. If that is your goal, I would consider reduce your intake of food as it seems you already do a good bit of cardio.

You can use any typical fabric tape measure to take a measure on your waist occasionally when you weigh in to help you gauge progress too.