PDA

View Full Version : Islamic militant groups' recruits likely to be well educated, study finds

ZenBowman
10-05-2016, 10:50 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/05/islamic-state-recruits-world-bank-study-education-boko-haram

Key points:
- The educational level of recruits from north Africa or the Middle East was significantly greater than that of most of their compatriots, the researchers found.
- “A large fraction have gone on to study at university … Recruits from Africa, south and east Asia and the Middle East are significantly more educated than individuals from their cohort in their region of origin,” the report said.
- Neither inequality nor poverty was a driver of involvement in violent extremism, and wealthier countries were more likely to supply foreign recruits for Isis, the report found.
- Earlier this week, a report into Boko Haram, the Isis-affiliated Islamist group in Nigeria, found that female members of the brutal organisation were almost as likely as men to be deployed as fighters, challenging a widespread perception that women are mainly used as cooks, sex slaves and suicide bombers.
- Religious beliefs, poverty, a lack of education and work, and opportunities offered by Boko Haram were cited by the former militants interviewed by researchers as the main reasons for joining the group.
- The report also found that six in 10 of the former militants – who are undergoing rehabilitation programmes – were introduced to Boko Haram by friends and relatives, while only a quarter learned about the group at mosques or Islamic schools.
- “Mosques and [Islamic schools] used to be the place to get new recruits … now they are under the spotlight,” said Abdile.

Pretty much decimates all the liberal talking points on this topic, including the idea that "education will prevent terrorists", and that "surveillance specific problem mosques doesn't work".

WhiskeyDavid
10-05-2016, 11:23 AM
In my experience, The fighters were dumb. The "commanders' or those in charge were smart or somewhat educated.

But indeed, poverty and lack of ability to effectively provide for their families were large factors in people joining terrorist groups. Religious beliefs helped validate their thinking in doing so

djfuzzy
10-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Is this the "well educated" demographic that the forum liberals tout so proudly?

celltechbrahz
10-05-2016, 11:34 AM
The above leads me to believe jihadists are the Islamic, ultraviolent cult version of FA incels. Educated, well to do and blaming the rest of the world for their own inadequacy.

StoliFun
10-05-2016, 11:54 AM
The above leads me to believe jihadists are the Islamic, ultraviolent cult version of FA incels. Educated, well to do and blaming the rest of the world for their own inadequacy.

I get this feeling too.

ZenBowman
10-05-2016, 11:56 AM
In my experience, The fighters were dumb. The "commanders' or those in charge were smart or somewhat educated.

But indeed, poverty and lack of ability to effectively provide for their families were large factors in people joining terrorist groups. Religious beliefs helped validate their thinking in doing so

Poverty, yes. And that is intimately linked to religion, because religious beliefs favor large families, and in resource-starved parts of the world, that means poverty.

Education was a non-factor though.

ZenBowman
10-05-2016, 11:58 AM

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. They are the bitter knights (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130412373) of the Islamic world, but religious fervor makes them FAR more dangerous.

And because of mindless reproduction in poor countries, there are a lot more of them than there are FA incels here.