PDA

View Full Version : My Blood Work over 2 years - What does it all mean?

xxYoungexx
09-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Good day,

I wanted to share my last five blood tests and see what you think.

Quick time line.
26/08/14 Pre injury - 84kgs - Wasn't on a diet and eating a lot of fast food
19/12/14 Pre surgery - 89kgs - Wasn't on a diet and eating a lot of fast food
06/07/15 Pre surgery - 86kgs - Started counting calories and eating fresh produce.
02/08/16 5 months Post Surgery - 75kgs - Eating healthy most of the time with one treat day.
21/09/16 6 months Post Surgery - 77kgs - Eating healthy most of the time with one treat day.

Not sure what it all means but interesting to see different levels over the years.
Can anyone decode this?

Side note - white blood count is low and i'm going through the process to find out why.

Heisman2
09-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Honestly, none of that means anything except the neutropenia which can be a big deal or very benign (some people will have temporary neutropenia as a result of a viral infection depending on the virus). All of the other numbers are close enough to a normal range that without any other info they don't signify anything abnormal. Your doctor would comment if something else was of concern.

xxYoungexx
09-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Honestly, none of that means anything except the neutropenia which can be a big deal or very benign (some people will have temporary neutropenia as a result of a viral infection depending on the virus). All of the other numbers are close enough to a normal range that without any other info they don't signify anything abnormal. Your doctor would comment if something else was of concern.

It's interesting to see my blood work stay the same irreverent of what i was eating....
I couldn't see a reading for protein anywhere? Might be on another sheet.

Heisman2
09-22-2016, 06:10 PM
It's interesting to see my blood work stay the same irreverent of what i was eating....
I couldn't see a reading for protein anywhere? Might be on another sheet.

The majority of those numbers I would expect to be the same regardless of your body composition. Most are not related to body composition at all and are checked because abnormalities indicate medical issues (generally).

To be super clear, for most lab values there is no one target number that means you are at your best, rather there is a range and if you are anywhere in or typically close to that range that means you are fine (all else being equal). There's no "better than fine" for being at a certain point within the range.

xxYoungexx
09-22-2016, 06:56 PM
The majority of those numbers I would expect to be the same regardless of your body composition. Most are not related to body composition at all and are checked because abnormalities indicate medical issues (generally).

To be super clear, for most lab values there is no one target number that means you are at your best, rather there is a range and if you are anywhere in or typically close to that range that means you are fine (all else being equal). There's no "better than fine" for being at a certain point within the range.

Great input, thank you.
I'm filtering through the pages of results trying to locate my protein. Will be interesting to see.

xxYoungexx
09-22-2016, 07:01 PM
Urea -
A blood urea nitrogen (BUN) test checks kidney function by measuring how much urea nitrogen is in your blood. Urea nitrogen is a waste product from the breakdown of protein in the body. Normally, this waste is filtered by the kidneys and leaves the body through urine.

would make sense.

T-Prot
The total protein test measures the total amount of two classes of proteins found in the fluid portion of your blood. These are albumin and globulin. Proteins are important parts of all cells and tissues. Albumin helps prevent fluid from leaking out of blood vessels.

Heisman2
09-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Yeah, you can have a higher BUN if you have more protein breaking down in the body (either due to increased ingestion or increased muscle breakdown). If you're dehydrated your BUN will go up a lot more than your creatinine will (when dehydrated more BUN will be reabsorbed to help osmotically reabsorb more water). If you're kidneys are working poorly both your BUN and your creatinine will be elevated because your kidneys will not be able to filter them out well.

As for total protein, I'll be honest and say I have never once used it clinically. I'm sure there are some specific circumstances where it is useful but I don't know any off the top of my head. Clinicians use albumin very frequently as a marker of liver function, overall nutritional status (not a good marker as it has a half life of 3 weeks), marker of fluid balance (low albumin will lead to a lot of edema as albumin acts as an oncotic agent to keep fluid within the vasculature (bloodstream), and as a negative acute phase reactant (albumin levels drop when acutely ill).

ErikTheElectric
09-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Good day,

I wanted to share my last five blood tests and see what you think.

Quick time line.
26/08/14 Pre injury - 84kgs - Wasn't on a diet and eating a lot of fast food
19/12/14 Pre surgery - 89kgs - Wasn't on a diet and eating a lot of fast food
06/07/15 Pre surgery - 86kgs - Started counting calories and eating fresh produce.
02/08/16 5 months Post Surgery - 75kgs - Eating healthy most of the time with one treat day.
21/09/16 6 months Post Surgery - 77kgs - Eating healthy most of the time with one treat day.

Not sure what it all means but interesting to see different levels over the years.
Can anyone decode this?

Side note - white blood count is low and i'm going through the process to find out why.

^^^ FYI: These terms mean practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you have any questions regarding your blood work. You should consult with your doctor, NOT an online forum.

xxYoungexx
09-22-2016, 08:27 PM
^^^ FYI: These terms mean practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you have any questions regarding your blood work. You should consult with your doctor, NOT an online forum.

I'm not looking for a consultation I was just trying to work out if i was any healthier before injury. Going by these results it has made little to no difference from when I was eating fast food compared to eating healthier.

Crazy to think I was as healthy in 2014 compared to now.

ErikTheElectric
09-22-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm not looking for a consultation I was just trying to work out if i was any healthier before injury. Going by these results it has made little to no difference from when I was eating fast food compared to eating healthier.

And that is something only YOU would know.

Mrpb
09-23-2016, 01:33 AM

Bloodwork =/= health.